Hold on. Ryzen 9??

this might be bad, are we saying that there will be CPU's for sale with the prefix "R9" ? 

i assumed they avoided this for good reason, or at least assumed that R9 might be saved for the Zen APU's

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

.I think I know why they switched to RX on GPU.

Radeon R9 inside

Ryzen R9 inside

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

15 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

And that is what you will pay extra for, official backing from the motherboard oem. This is how electronics works, you don't get all the nice things unless you add an extra 0 on the price tag

I never said it was going to be no extra cost, I think a 50% premium over the 1800x core price is reasonable.

you think they will have a higher then 70% premium for price per core after going beyond 8 cores?

Intels 8 core had a 45% premium over the 4 core part. even if it has the price premium of the 6900x (100%) had it would be $2000 for the 16 core part, $300 more then intels 10 core part. I can't see AMD getting away with such high premiums like intel can.

so a 1800x is $500 for 8 cores, $500 x 2 + 50% price premium is $1500. which seems like a good guess. they can even do a 100% premium and still beat intel.

and remember they sell a $330 8 core too (that calculated to 16 cores with a 100% premium is $1320)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

I never said it was going to be no extra cost, I think a 50% premium over the 1800x core price is reasonable.

you think they will have a higher then 70% premium for price per core after going beyond 8 cores?

Intels 8 core had a 45% premium over the 4 core part. even if it has the price premium of the 6900x (100%) had it would be $2000 for the 16 core part, $300 more then intels 10 core part. I can't see AMD getting away with such high premiums like intel can.

so a 1800x is $500 for 8 cores, $500 x 2 + 50% price premium is $1500. which seems like a good guess. they can even do a 100% premium and still beat intel.

and remember they sell a $330 8 core too (that calculated to 16 cores with a 100% premium is $1320)

Ah American prices. In nz it differently because of consumption taxes. 

I do not think it will be a scale with the R7 because it will be enterprise grade. I just had a look on Wikipedia and the Xeon at those high core counts are between 8 to 12k so I think the top end will be less than 8k dropping down to similar prices for the bottom end with Xeon 

had a look at opterons on wikipedia; piledriver went from $300 to $1300 for 16 cores, so I reckon based off this and the extra performance of ryzen, the R9 might be as high as 2x piledriver opteron so $2600 which is still 1/4 the price of intels top line, so could cost even more.

tldr my prediction between $2600 to $8000

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Ah American prices. In nz it differently because of consumption taxes. 

I do not think it will be a scale with the R7 because it will be enterprise grade. I just had a look on Wikipedia and the Xeon at those high core counts are between 8 to 12k so I think the top end will be less than 8k dropping down to similar prices for the bottom end with Xeon 

had a look at opterons on wikipedia; piledriver went from $300 to $1300 for 16 cores, so I reckon based off this and the extra performance of ryzen, the R9 might be as high as 2x piledriver opteron so $2600 which is still 1/4 the price of intels top line, so could cost even more.

tldr my prediction between $2600 to $8000

also depends on were this is suppose to compete if it is a server class chip like a xeon I defiantly can see the higher price but if it a enthusiast chip like the x99 stuff I would expect closer to what I priced it at.

5 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

also depends on were this is suppose to compete if it is a server class chip like a xeon I defiantly can see the higher price but if it a enthusiast chip like the x99 stuff I would expect closer to what I priced it at.

Well that article says it's using the server socket so if they are binned Naples then I dunno maybe they will be 1/2 priced from Naples?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Well that article says it's using the server socket so if they are binned Naples then I dunno maybe they will be 1/2 priced from Naples?

well LGA 1151 and 2011v3 are also server sockets so that kinda means nothing, and it is stated in the article it is modified version of the Naples socket.

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

well LGA 1151 and 2011v3 are also server sockets so that kinda means nothing, and it is stated in the article it is modified version of the Naples socket.

I'm sure the modifications will just be less features for binned Naples. They wouldnt repeat what they did with the triple core phenoms 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Holy shitsnacks! If this is real, Intel's gonna get a big slice of humble pie served to them by AMD. I doubt this is real, but if this is, I'm definitely jumping on board. A hexadeca-core CPU at 3.9 ghz? No fucking way. Inb4 Ryzen 9 hype train

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

don't forget the grain of salt because wtftech

True, WTFTech has been known to spread unfounded rumors.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 hours ago, Masada02 said:

You're talking to a guy that spent $1600 on a Silicon Lottery 5960X...

I probably need help.

Daaaamn, you have a problem...

So do I though. I'm seriously debating buying a R7 1700 @ 3.9ghz from Silicon Lottery. Am I crazy?

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

3 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Daaaamn, you have a problem...

So do I though. I'm seriously debating buying a R7 1700 @ 3.9ghz from Silicon Lottery. Am I crazy?

Nah, they are a great company with great service. I'd do it. Though with Ryzen it probably doesn't matter that much where you get the chip as they are all pretty similar. But since SL isn't charging more than retail for the 3.9 chip there's really no issue.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Just now, Masada02 said:

Though with Ryzen it probably doesn't matter that much where you get the chip as they are all pretty similar. But since SL isn't charging more than retail for the 3.9 chip there's really no issue.

They are? I though SL chips were binned chips that had good OC capability.

And yeah, I should probably do it. It's only $10 more than retail, and it comes with a guarantee that I won't lose the silicon lottery, so that's good.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

They are? I though SL chips were binned chips that had good OC capability.

And yeah, I should probably do it. It's only $10 more than retail, and it comes with a guarantee that I won't lose the silicon lottery, so that's good.

They are binned, its just that with Ryzen binning doesn't do much. As far as I know, SL buys bulk and bins all the chips. The low bins get sold for less than retail and the high bins get sold for more.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

4 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

They are binned, its just that with Ryzen binning doesn't do much. As far as I know, SL buys bulk and bins all the chips. The low bins get sold for less than retail and the high bins get sold for more.

Hmm ok. The only reason i'm considering a binned Ryzen is cause i'm making a content creation/gaming PC, and I wanted better results in more CPU dependent games for the gaming part of it, so I figured a binned Ryzen would be the best solution.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540