What Do I Need To Use Bookshelf Speakers?

Bookhugger

Hello folks, recently I've been on the hunt for a solid set of speakers to use with my computer and/or phone. This pair from Pioneer has received excellent reviews and fits nicely within my budget. However some reviews mentioned receivers and AMPs. I"m incredibly new to audiophile speakers and don't know what exactly I would need to run these. I'd like to play music from my computer which currently just has the on board sound card. What do I need an how much will it cost me? 

Thanks, 

Bookhugger

2 channel stereo receiver would be perfect, you can find some sony ones pretty cheap on places like craigslist, new it will probably $100-200.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have those speakers and a home theater receiver. They are very good

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

Yes, you need an amp/receiver.

You don't need to spend as much on this as you do on your speakers.

They're 90W peak power, so just find an amp/receiver which can output about 50W continuous, and has all the inputs you need.

I'd recommend you look for an amplifier, because it will likely be less expensive for a random 50W amp, than for a receiver, which is designed to look good in your living room.

The reason for needing an amp/receiver is that those speakers are passive.

They do not have built in amplification to drive the speakers, so you need to give them an amplified input.

The amp/receiver takes standard inputs (like RCA, SPDIF, etc.), amplifies them, then outputs to your speakers.

Hope this helps :)

The Onkyo TX-8020 receiver is one of the nicest I've seen at around $150 new. Or you can get something simple like one of the SMSL T-amps (SA36, SA50, etc).

On 5/15/2017 at 2:39 AM, rhyseyness said:

Yes, you need an amp/receiver.

You don't need to spend as much on this as you do on your speakers.

They're 90W peak power, so just find an amp/receiver which can output about 50W continuous, and has all the inputs you need.

I'd recommend you look for an amplifier, because it will likely be less expensive for a random 50W amp, than for a receiver, which is designed to look good in your living room.

The reason for needing an amp/receiver is that those speakers are passive.

They do not have built in amplification to drive the speakers, so you need to give them an amplified input.

The amp/receiver takes standard inputs (like RCA, SPDIF, etc.), amplifies them, then outputs to your speakers.

Hope this helps :)

This seems like a really good deal, is it what I need?

2 hours ago, Bookhugger said:

This seems like a really good deal, is it what I need?

it will work, it's not  that good

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

@OP if you just looking for solid speakers I just got the Logitech Z333 and super happy with music playback and gaming. 

that said I also love my KRK's but only use those for music Production not gaming. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333