V-Sync introducing stutters and frame drops

IrshaadH

Hey all,

I've been noticing recently that, in some game where I prefer to have it activated, V-sync is introducing stutters and lower minimum frame rates than if I were to have it turned off.  For example, in GTA V, simply walking around Franklin's house, when V-Sync is turned on, it'll fluctuate between 55-60 fps.  However, when I deactivate it, the FPS stays consistently above 75.  

I've also noticed this in the Witcher 3, Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3.

Is this a normal issue with V-Sync.  Is there something driver related that I should look into.  I only just wiped my drivers with DDU today and reinstalled.

Thanks

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

i think that's normal. v-sync kinda locks your FPS with your monitor's frame rate. so yea, it should be 60and below if your monitor's rate is 60hz. and of course turning it off unlocks it from 60 so it goes above that, but that might introduce screen tearing if your monitor can't keep up with your gpu, or something like that. most people usually keep it off i think. 

Yes keep in mind that if your GPU can not keep a steady 60fps it will immediately jump down to 30fps to prevent screen tearing, even if it only for a moment. This could be the stuttering you are seeing.  I would use an application to view you fps such as the steam overlay, FRAPS, CAM software, etc.. and check for the drops

7 hours ago, HoennHero said:

Yes keep in mind that if your GPU can not keep a steady 60fps it will immediately jump down to 30fps to prevent screen tearing, even if it only for a moment. This could be the stuttering you are seeing.  I would use an application to view you fps such as the steam overlay, FRAPS, CAM software, etc.. and check for the drops

yeah, that's the thing.  I'm noticing that V-Sync introduces drops where they otherwise wouldn't exist.  In terms of GPU/CPU usage, none of my resources are being taxed in those instances.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers