1080 Ti vs. Titan Xp

AliceSML79

ok i want to build a reasonably priced production pc that can game in my past time. nothing overly demanding on games really. i really like MMO Games like World of Warcraft. a few 1st Person like Tomb Raider or Bioshock Series. but my Fav pastimes is lego games when i don't feel like dealing with people on MMO's. but its the setting that are the kicker. i want to run in what i call eye candy mode with all the setting maxed out.

People saying since it is production 1st people have told me a am4 with either a 1700x or 1800x if i splurge would be best platform to build on. i know in past decade ago nvidia and amd systems fought each other. but i prefer nvidia and worried a Z270 just wouldn't suit my production needs.

back to my question. with running adobe for video and photo editing as well as eye candy gaming, would i be better off with a Titan Xp or could a 1080 Ti take care of all my requirements?

looking to spend 2,000 to 3,000 in pc costs so that rules out a loaded MacBook Pro like i have now.

Thanks in Advance:
Alice P. Arthington

Just now, AliceSML79 said:

build a reasonably priced

there you have your answer,1080 ti it is

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

4 minutes ago, AliceSML79 said:

Snip

I want you to be very specific... to which Titan XP are you referring (the second Titan X renamed Titan XP by the community? or the official Titan XP named by the marketing imbeciles over at Nvidia)? It doesn't matter much, but if its not the official Titan XP from Nvidia, then you get the 1080ti without question unless for some reason you ABSOLUTELY NEED that extra 1GB of VRAM. the 1080ti is better than the second titan x/first titan XP. As far as the second Titan goes, it is all about whether or not you're willing to spend the money on it. the second titan XP is slightly better than the 1080ti, comes with slightly faster memory, and comes with slightly more of it. Probably not worth the massive price hike for the marginal gains IMO, but its up to you. But its like @McHox said, there is nothing reasonably priced about a Titan of any breed. If you're after reasonably priced, a titan is not what you want. they are the undisputed performance kings, but they are garbage when it comes to price:performance

14 minutes ago, AliceSML79 said:

with running adobe for video and photo editing

If this is the main interest get a second hand Titan XM

If you go for 2560x1440p it games fine too.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

31 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

I want you to be very specific... to which Titan XP are you referring (the second Titan X renamed Titan XP by the community? or the official Titan XP named by the marketing imbeciles over at Nvidia)? It doesn't matter much, but if its not the official Titan XP from Nvidia, then you get the 1080ti without question unless for some reason you ABSOLUTELY NEED that extra 1GB of VRAM. the 1080ti is better than the second titan x/first titan XP. As far as the second Titan goes, it is all about whether or not you're willing to spend the money on it. the second titan XP is slightly better than the 1080ti, comes with slightly faster memory, and comes with slightly more of it. Probably not worth the massive price hike for the marginal gains IMO, but its up to you. But its like @McHox said, there is nothing reasonably priced about a Titan of any breed. If you're after reasonably priced, a titan is not what you want. they are the undisputed performance kings, but they are garbage when it comes to price:performance

There's only one Titan Xp.  He used the little "p", which should indicate that he she understands the difference. 

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

the new April 2017 Titan Xp

but thats what i was thinking my self, another 500-600 for 1 morg memory chip seamed too much. but wasnt sure if titan offered something that 1080 ti didnt on adobe photoshope and video priemer.

1 minute ago, AliceSML79 said:

but thats what i was thinking my self, another 500-600 for 1 morg memory chip seamed too much. but wasnt sure if titan offered something that 1080 ti didnt on adobe photoshope and video priemer.

This should specifically answer you question.  :D

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-NVIDIA-Titan-Xp-12GB-Performance-930/

Hope that helps and good luck.  I pondered this very same thing, but went with 2 x 1080 Ti GPUs instead.  

Personally I'd go with the 1080Ti, and spend the extra money elsewhere on the system. $500 can go a long way towards other components.

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

There's only one Titan Xp.  He used the little "p", which should indicate that he understands the difference.

I'm pretty sure Alice isn't a guys name.

20 minutes ago, McHox said:

there you have your answer,1080 ti it is

Hahah, exactly what I thought when I read that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

There's only one Titan Xp.  He used the little "p", which should indicate that he understands the difference.

I'm aware there is only one official one. the problem is the other one that literally everyone has been calling a titan xp for the last several months. As far as him understanding the difference goes, head back to reddit if you're just looking to pick a fight. plenty of like-minded clowns over there willing to help you out.

well it offers a few more CUDA cores... so if that matters to you then there's that. buuuuut for how little difference its going to make vs how much its going to cost you I really wouldn't say its worth it. for the extra cost you could almost just buy a second 1080ti if CUDA count was your priority.

This should specifically answer you question.  :D

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-NVIDIA-Titan-Xp-12GB-Performance-930/

Hope that helps and good luck.  I pondered this very same thing, but went with 2 x 1080 Ti GPUs instead.  

thanks for the link. loks like it will be informative. i forgot to mention im using a mini itx BIOSTAR :: X370GTN :: Motherboard

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'm pretty sure Alice isn't a guys name.

I guess you don't listen to rock & roll or know much about history.  :D

http://www.alicecooper.com/

Besides that, we're an open-minded world now.

Just now, AliceSML79 said:

yes i am a girl thats a tech geek

Apologies for the "he" that @dizmo pointed out.

Glad that link help and good luck with the decision.  It should be pretty easy to make.  

yeah i was thinking that the Titan Xp curent model was overpriced for the little gains u get. i figured a single 1080 Ti would do all i need for about 1/2 the cost. why waste the cash for one more memory chip and the few extra cuda cores.

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

I'm aware there is only one official one. the problem is the other one that literally everyone has been calling a titan xp for the last several months. As far as him understanding the difference goes, head back to reddit if you're just looking to pick a fight. plenty of like-minded clowns over there willing to help you out.

You're funny.  Someone points out the obvious to you and you get really sensitive.  Take your own advice and head on over there bud.  

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I guess you don't listen to rock & roll or know much about history.  :D

http://www.alicecooper.com/

Besides that, we're an open-minded world now.

You mean Vincent Furnier? ;) I don't think stage names really count.

7 minutes ago, AliceSML79 said:

thanks for the link. loks like it will be informative. i forgot to mention im using a mini itx BIOSTAR :: X370GTN :: Motherboard

Have you purchased it yet? I've read that it's not a very good board.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

yeah i was thinking that the Titan Xp curent model was overpriced for the little gains u get. i figured a single 1080 Ti would do all i need for about 1/2 the cost. why waste the cash for one more memory chip and the few extra cuda cores.

Honestly, if you got the cash to even consider a Titan Xp, consider 2 x 1080 Ti instead. 2 x 1080 Ti would crush 1 Titan Xp in your types of workloads and you'd have the added benefit of SLI for use in games that can take advantage of it.  Truthfully, 1 x 1080 Ti would serve you well.

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Have you purchased it yet? I've read that it's not a very good board.

well i was looking at a miniITX chase to save weight. i'm handicapped and id have a hard time cleaning a ATX system every month.

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

FYI, he legally changed his name to Alice Cooper in the 70's.  You'll have to tell him that it's not right.  :P

7 minutes ago, AliceSML79 said:

well i was looking at a miniITX chase to save weight. i'm handicapped and id have a hard time cleaning a ATX system every month.

Ever thought about light weight aluminum cases?

I use thick aluminum cases (Caselabs) and they are very light weight despite their large size.  Caselabs also makes smaller cases, even with handles now.  Very light stuff and extremely well constructed.

If Caselabs is out of the budget, there are other aluminum case alternatives out there.  

http://www.caselabs-store.com/

Also, choosing a case with a good filter design might help you a lot.  Instead of cleaning the entire system monthly, you could just remove the filters themselves monthly and clean them.  You'll still need to do periodic full system cleans, but not nearly as much. 

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Ever thought about light weight aluminum cases?

I use thick aluminum cases (Caselabs) and they are very light weight despite their large size.  Caselabs also makes smaller cases, even with handles now.  Very light stuff and extremely well constructed.

If Caselabs is out of the budget, there are other aluminum case alternatives out there.  

http://www.caselabs-store.com/

i had considered CaseLabs, but they are more desined for water cooling, and im just not sure of my abilitys to do it. or id do a dual loop system with 3x 360 rads, 2 on gpu and 1 on cpu or vise verus if i did a dual xenon build. but im not sure if dual xenons are worth it. but know wich board id use if i did go dual xenons but then id defently need the case labs case.

maybe u can tell me if a caselabs mercury and a ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS or the new version when it release the updated x299 series of stuff.

i had considered CaseLabs, but they are more desined for water cooling, and im just not sure of my abilitys to do it. or id do a dual loop system with 3x 360 rads, 2 on gpu and 1 on cpu or vise verus if i did a dual xenon build. but im not sure if dual xenons are worth it. but know wich board id use if i did go dual xenons but then id defently need the case labs case.

maybe u can tell me if a caselabs mercury and a ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS or the new version when it release the updated x299 series of stuff.

You don't have to water cool to use Caselabs, but yes, they design their cases to accommodate all sorts of water cooling.  

I have a Mercury S8 for my z170 build with the optional pedestal installed (see profile pic) and it's a beast.  Looks like it weighs a ton, but it doesn't.  Everything that's inside it is what weighs a lot.  :D

I also have a Merlin SM8 for my x99 build and it's a great case.  

Their Bullet line of cases might be of some interest to you if you don't plan on a large water loop or anything.  Enough space for most builds and can easily accommodate AIOs and small custom rads alike.

I like Caselabs because they last forever and can be used through multiple builds or rig updates.  Big investment up front, but in cases like mine, you save money in the long run.

I'm doing x299 myself.  Can't wait for it to release.  

You don't have to water cool to use Caselabs, but yes, they design their cases to accommodate all sorts of water cooling.  

I have a Mercury S8 for my z170 build with the optional pedestal installed (see profile pic) and it's a beast.  Looks like it weighs a ton, but it doesn't.  Everything that's inside it is what weighs a lot.  :D

I also have a Merlin SM8 for my x99 build and it's a great case.  

Their Bullet line of cases might be of some interest to you if you don't plan on a large water loop or anything.  Enough space for most builds and can easily accommodate AIOs and small custom rads alike.

I like Caselabs because they last forever and can be used through multiple builds or rig updates.  Big investment up front, but in cases like mine, you save money in the long run.

I looked int the CaseLabs Mercury S8 with a Pedestal too. the cost is high i admit but never seen a case in person. i have wondered how good they are in white or even black. i was worried about moving it to clean it. but if i got the wheels how well do they roll on carpets. becase i dont think i could ever lift it. i cant lift 10 pounds of potatoes because my back injury.

would u recomend going at am4 or the dual zenon Z10PE-D16 WS

8 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

the cases always look mazing to me

11 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I'm looking forward for a build log of it, gonna be a beast, have any idea how's it going to look like?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

if i went dual xenon id look at tdual Intel Computer CPU 2.2 10 BX80660E52630V4 chips