1080 Ti vs. Titan Xp

AliceSML79
Just now, AliceSML79 said:

I looked int the CaseLabs Mercury S8 with a Pedestal too. the cost is high i admit but never seen a case in person. i have wondered how good they are in white or even black. i was worried about moving it to clean it. but if i got the wheels how well do they roll on carpets. becase i dont think i could ever lift it. i cant lift 10 pounds of potatoes because my back injury.

would u recomend going at am4 or the dual zenon Z10PE-D16 WS

I've got wheels on mine and it rolls nicely on carpet.  I do it often because I upgrade just about every time something new comes along.

Truthfully, x299 is within striking distance so I would wait a month or two longer to see what it's going to bring.  

I can say with certainty, if you are looking for value with great performance, Ryzen and AM4 will serve you very well.  Best bang for the buck that exists. 

If you are looking for all out performance, x99 overclocked is still faster, but costly compared to Ryzen.  If x99 is an option, then wait for x299 to drop before making any decisions.

x299 / Skylake X will have higher IPC and better overclocking then Haswell-E / Broadwell-E due to architectural improvements. More CPU PCIe lanes.  More chipset PCIe lanes and more.  

5 minutes ago, AliceSML79 said:

if i went dual xenon id look at tdual Intel Computer CPU 2.2 10 BX80660E52630V4 chips

You're better off with the mainstream line ups, Xeons are really cool but can be a hassle besides using mainstreams CPUs will ensure top performance on everything not only normal server/big time workstation purposes as they are more balanced, ensuring gaming won't suffer nor other more single threaded applications.

Ryzen is great I really love my R7 1800x, though who uses it the most is my brother, he worsk editing video footage and all from weddings, graduations, parties and so on, he used to use an i7 3770 and jumping to the 1800x was quite insane.

Although I would be lying if I said I'm not an Intel person, though in my case I'll only dismiss the i7 7700 somewhere at Canon Lake and what comes after, some sweet sweet i7 6c/12t with latest lithography, IPC and clocks... hehe worth saving for ^^

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

I've got wheels on mine and it rolls nicely on carpet.  I do it often because I upgrade just about every time something new comes along.

Truthfully, x299 is within striking distance so I would wait a month or two longer to see what it's going to bring.  

I can say with certainty, if you are looking for value with great performance, Ryzen and AM4 will serve you very well.  Best bang for the buck that exists. 

If you are looking for all out performance, x99 overclocked is still faster, but costly compared to Ryzen.  If x99 is an option, then wait for x299 to drop before making any decisions.

x299 / Skylake X will have higher IPC and better overclocking then Haswell-E / Broadwell-E due to architectural improvements. More CPU PCIe lanes.  More chipset PCIe lanes and more.  

i heard ryzen is working on a 16 core chip for AM4 when X299 releases. gona take a while to build i know so im curious to see what X299 brings to the table.  but i think i will do dual 1080 ti's instead on a single titan Xp for the same price.

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

You're better off with the mainstream line ups, Xeons are really cool but can be a hassle besides using mainstreams CPUs will ensure top performance on everything not only normal server/big time workstation purposes as they are more balanced, ensuring gaming won't suffer nor other more single threaded applications.

Ryzen is great I really love my R7 1800x, though who uses it the most is my brother, he worsk editing video footage and all from weddings, graduations, parties and so on, he used to use an i7 3770 and jumping to the 1800x was quite insane.

Although I would be lying if I said I'm not an Intel person, though in my case I'll only dismiss the i7 7700 somewhere Canon Lake and what comes after, some sweet sweet i7 6c/12t with latest lithography, IPC and clocks... hehe worth saving for ^^

i have herd horror story's many years ago how amd  and nvidia drivers fought. has that been fixed???

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I'm looking forward for a build log of it, gonna be a beast, have any idea how's it going to look like?

My wife already gave me the green light so I'm going nuts on the x299 build. :)  

I've been waiting a while now to replace the old 5960x.  It's been a great chip, but it's time for more cores!

When you ask about looks, are you referring to the build?  If so, it'll look like my current build in my profile pic.  I plan to put the x299 in the case that my z270 currently occupies.  I have 5 x 360mm rads in there.  The cooling was originally configured for a large core count chip and multiple GPUs.  I'll run the 1080 Ti SLI in the x299 setup.

The z270 will then move to my other Caselabs case and will be paired with a 1080 SLI.  All of that will be cooled by a 480mm and a 360mm.  

for a first time water cooler would using compression fittings and flexible tubing a good way to learn????

heard the new x299 chips will have a 12 core but i hope they price it better

2 minutes ago, AliceSML79 said:

i have herd horror story's many years ago how amd  and nvidia drivers fought. has that been fixed???

Sure, at least I haven't had any driver issue with it, just let geforce experience download and install it and DDU everything every time I'll have GE install new driver, either maxwell or pascal cards worked to their potentials.

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Darn that must be a lot of fun, I'd be excited to the bunches xD

The only thing nearly exciting I got in a while was finally a decent mice, some corsair m65 rgb to replace the shitty generic gaming mouse I got when I finished the build cause was all I had cash left for [:

I wonder what do you plan on doing with the 5960x? I don't suppose trying to sell it is worth the trouble, any plans aside leaving it as a back up chips?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

52 minutes ago, AliceSML79 said:

well i was looking at a miniITX chase to save weight. i'm handicapped and id have a hard time cleaning a ATX system every month.

You don't have to clean a computer every month if you get one with appropriate filters, add filters, or get an air purifier if you live in a particularly dusty climate. Also if anything a larger case would be easier to clean as there are fewer nooks and cranies that dust can hide in.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

we get a lot dust around here. not in the big city and on a major dump truck rout so in 24 hours after washing the car totally dust covered again.

if i go case labs this how id go:

Mercury S8 - Customizable

$573.95

White, ATX or SSI EEB, Drop-in with no mount, Top Cover Full Window, Left Door Standard Window with Ventilation, Right Door Standard Window with Ventilation, Front Cover Window, Two HDD cages, USB 3.0/HD Audio

Pedestal - Mercury S8 and S8S

$214.95

White, Front Standard Front Cover with Ventilated Bay Cover, Rear 120.2 Fan Holes

2 minutes ago, AliceSML79 said:

if i go case labs this how id go:

Mercury S8 - Customizable

$573.95

White, ATX or SSI EEB, Drop-in with no mount, Top Cover Full Window, Left Door Standard Window with Ventilation, Right Door Standard Window with Ventilation, Front Cover Window, Two HDD cages, USB 3.0/HD Audio

Pedestal - Mercury S8 and S8S

$214.95

White, Front Standard Front Cover with Ventilated Bay Cover, Rear 120.2 Fan Holes

That's an absolute BEAST of a setup and will last you a lifetime!  I like the top window option. I would have done it myself, but I have radiators installed up there. 

Do you have someone to help you with assembly? Very easy to do as all panels are extremely light, but another set of hands makes an easy job of it. 

i figure 2 rads in botom and 1 in front with dual res mount from singularty computers that mount to front rad.

52 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

That's an absolute BEAST of a setup and will last you a lifetime!  I like the top window option. I would have done it myself, but I have radiators installed up there. 

Do you have someone to help you with assembly? Very easy to do as all panels are extremely light, but another set of hands makes an easy job of it. 

1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

on your case how big of a rad can fit in the front? a 360, 420, or even a 480?

26 minutes ago, AliceSML79 said:

on your case how big of a rad can fit in the front? a 360, 420, or even a 480?

The front flex bay can hold up to a 360mm rad. Fully configured, the S8 can hold up to 4 x 360mm rads without a pedestal. 6 x 360mm rads with a pedestal. 

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

The front flex bay can hold up to a 360mm rad. Fully configured, the S8 can hold up to 4 x 360mm rads without a pedestal. 6 x 360mm rads with a pedestal. 

so thre 360 Rads is possible then. i wounder how thick of ek rads to go with though 26mm, 38mm, or 60mm. it be my first water cooled rig. thats why i dont know

i have thought of the Thermaltake The Tower 900 in White wich is desined for dual 560mm rads in the loops

main.jpg