Windows 8.2??

TOMPPIX

@bracka I dont see why "The need to open Metro UI which covered all your open desktop programs at the time" is a problem as what would you need to see while doing something in the start menu. now what I will say is that the Start Screen is 8 did feel really disconnected from the desktop but this was fixed in 8.1 with something really simple, making the start screen background the same as the desktop's. Now the start screen feels more like an overlay and is a change I noticed and like immediately.

If they bring a full start menu and give a way to dissable charms and metro perminantly i will get 8.2 should have been an option from the begining and let the end user decide. Also when is it gona stop. i feel like windows 8 is a beta os. 8 then 8.1 then 8.2 next 8.3 8.4 or did they decide not to use service packs any more.

I only used start to search for apps.... i never ventured further as search did the job very very well.

In windows 7 > click on start > type to search = easy

in windows 8.1 > click to start > type to search = HARD

i gave up and went back to windows 7

Having the start menu didn't really matter to me after I used Windows 8 for a while because I have all my necessary programs on metro ui.

I only used start to search for apps.... i never ventured further as search did the job very very well.

Imo If I wanted to search i could press the windows key and type in the stuff and use arrow keys to navigate to my search item (same thing as windows 7 if you don't go to the charms and press start instead)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I feel like I have to downgrade my hardware to use Win 8.X,  as in use a tablet or touch screen, when the last thing I want to do is touch my viewing screen while eating fried chicken...

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

i hope this is true. i might actually go with windows 8 if this happens

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

There was alreay a thread about this same thing.

All I have to say is im kinda getting abit sick of these threads well actually the posts in them as I see the same things said about win8 then say the say things in response

why is it hard? i find it much easier to search because it finds everything, on my desktop i can never use the search because i only get random files i cant open and setting options.

and honestly i havent tried windows 8 on a desktop but it doesn't seem that bad when I use a mouse with my surface. What is annoying is that that the modern UI seems to be a different thing than the desktop. Modern apps don't run in "windows" and you have to swipe down to close them and such. Deskptop seems like an app but it shouldn't be. When you use a modern app, it should appear in the desktop taskbar like a normal program and you should be able to run the app in a window and minimize and close it.

The start menu isn't bad, it just needs to be more connected with the desktop.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

@TheProfosist Going to try it out. It wasn't a major flaw - just a thing that really annoyed me. Overall, I use Win 8 daily - and i am quite happy about it.

Show love because it's a terrible thing to hate

i currently use Sart8  with my win8 pro, i completely forgot how the metro ui looks since i haven't seen it since the day i installed the os. 

Oh microsoft, it's about bloody time, just hope they don't miess with it, and try to change something that works.

Now is too late Microsoft.

Not that I care, I don't use windows 8 anyway.

Signatures are stupid.

why does this matter? i liked easily customizing my start menu via 3rd party apps

i seccond this

HERE is the thread I was talking about that already existed. Some said though that the source for the article wasnt the most reputable.

As for the picture in the link in the op of this thread that just the Win+X menu of Win8.1 which can also now be accessed via right clicking the start button.

@TheProfosist Going to try it out. It wasn't a major flaw - just a thing that really annoyed me. Overall, I use Win 8 daily - and i am quite happy about it.

Yea its in taskbar properties in the navigation tab. I included a screenshot below of it and the options that are available.

2013-12-1118_55_46-TaskbarandNavigationp

Hahaha... Windows 8, 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, 8.4 etc. etc. Good thing i didnt buy 8...

I see no reason why you should have to buy Windows 8 > : D

5JPUR.png

I see no reason why you should have to buy Windows 8 > : D

5JPUR.png

So your running a non activated windows and it yells at you everytime you boot?

So your running a non activated windows and it yells at you everytime you boot?

Pretty much, but I'd rather have a pop up than pay Microsoft quite a bit of money just so I can get more FPS on BF4 which is the only reason I have 8.

Pretty much, but I'd rather have a pop up than pay Microsoft quite a bit of money just so I can get more FPS on BF4 which is the only reason I have 8.

So you dont want to support the company whose software your using......