4 Unaddressed Security Flaws on All OnePlus Devices

desertcomputer

Source:

https://www.xda-developers.com/new-security-research-reveals-all-oneplus-devices-are-vulnerable-to-downgrade-attacks/

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/05/4-unaddressed-security-flaws-in-oneplus-ota-process-revealed.html

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/oneplus-smartphones-vulnerable-to-os-downgrade-attacks/

New Security Research Reveals All OnePlus Devices are Vulnerable to Downgrade Attacks

Four major vulnerabilities have been identified by Aleph Security in the OTA upgrade process of all OnePlus devices but the Chinese company has yet to address any of the issues. The group reported the vulnerabilities to OnePlus back in January but OnePlus hasn’t patched any of the reported vulnerabilities three and a half months later. The delay in releasing the much-needed fixes prompted Aleph Security to publicize its findings, the firm said. The cyber security research team highlighted the need to patch these security flaws as soon as possible since malicious individuals could hack the system update process and even exploit some of the previously patched vulnerabilities. Another security risk is the ability to install ROMs not officially released to the device even with a locked bootloader, which runs the risk of installing malicious ROMs filled with spying apps.

(Android Headlines)

Affected Devices:

The vulnerabilities in question are possible on at least one of every smartphone OnePlus has produced. So, if you have the OnePlus One, OnePlus 2, OnePlus 3, OnePlus 3T or the OnePlus X, then your device is vulnerable to at least one of these attacks. This assumes you are running either OxygenOS or HydrogenOS though, which are the two firmwares that OnePlus is responsible for. The attack targets weaknesses in how the phones accept OTA updates.

How the vulnerability work

This is possible via a man-in-the-middle attack, or simply when sideloading an OTA update via recovery. However, it should be noted that the OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T are not vulnerable to this sideload attack vector assuming Secure Start-up is enabled (Full Disk Encryption (FDE) with user credentials). These vulnerabilities enable the attacker to downgrade your version of OxygenOS or HydrogenOS. So no matter what new security patches your OnePlus device has, the software can be easily downgraded (without a factory reset) and then exploited via an old vulnerability.

So i would suggest not connecting to any public WiFi without a VPN .... or just don't OTA updates without check the file or manually update from oneplus websites and SHA/MD5 sumcheck. This doesn't really affect me or some users which is running custom roms.

It really worrying that one plus haven't address this issue....

There are a lot of video that show you how to make your own VPN by turning a old pc/raspberry pi/router to your own VPN server. (Google OPENVPN) 

Magical Pineapples

11 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

I was going to buy a OnePlus, but now........

Computer specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-6500
GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC ACX2.0+ 2GB

Motherboard: GA-Z170-HD3P VER.2

RAM: G.Skill Aegis 1x16GB 2400mhz

Case: Corsair Spec-01

Storage: 120GB Adata SP550 + 1TB HDD + 500GB HDD

Wireless card: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11ac/BT 4.0

PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W

Keyboard: Razer Backwidow Ultimate Stealth Non-RGB

Mouse: Redragon Centrophorus M601

Headphones: Steelseries Artis 1

Monitors: LG 24MP59G-P 24-inch 75hz 

4 minutes ago, Drak01112 said:

I was going to buy a OnePlus, but now........

one plus 5 is coming out soon so wait 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

one plus 5 is coming out soon so wait 

Yeah I know, but the security flaw is in the FIRMWARE, so if OnePlus is sh!tty then we get those vulnerabilities in the new phone

Computer specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Drak01112 said:

Yeah I know, but the security flaw is in the FIRMWARE, so if OnePlus is sh!tty then we get those vulnerabilities in the new phone

you get what you pay for, most people with one plus phones will most likely root and install a custom rom.  

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

you get what you pay for, most people with one plus phones will most likely root and install a custom rom.  

True that.

Computer specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Drak01112 said:

Pretty sure OTA is not firmware ... it just software issues, it allow people to give you inflected firmware as an example. If you use custom rom or don't flash from OTA but manual OTA update files you won't have issues. 

Magical Pineapples

Just now, MrUnknownEMC said:

Pretty sure OTA is not firmware ... it just software issues, it allow people to give you inflected firmware as an example. If you use custom rom or don't flash from OTA but manual OTA update files you won't have issues. 

Derp. Yeah I meant the software

Computer specs:

Spoiler

57 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

snip

It's 'affect', not 'effect'

59 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

It's 'affect', not 'effect'

K. Thanks English teacher.

Magical Pineapples

interesting company but they only innovate on price. I know China has no shortage of cheap programmers but i do not have high expectations of them to deliver on service

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Time to install Cyanogen mod on my oneplus 2...oh wait...rip Cyanogen mod

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

4 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

K. Thanks English teacher.

So blame me for correcting you, instead of making fun of you/or let someone else make fun of you later. 

18 minutes ago, oskarha said:

Time to install Cyanogen mod on my oneplus 2...oh wait...rip Cyanogen mod

still there, just with a different name

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/oneplus2

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Another security risk is the ability to install ROMs not officially released to the device even with a locked bootloader, which runs the risk of installing malicious ROMs filled with spying apps.

that is a perfect root method right there that allows for zero warranty voiding. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

30 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

still there, just with a different name

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/oneplus2

Nice :)

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

8 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

It really worrying that one plus haven't address this issue....

It's not surprising though, I've heard nothing but terrible stories about their customer support. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

OnePlus is the type of company that wont listen to its costumers if they are considered a "minority".

Provided live tickets and started live chat conversations more than 10 times troughout last year in order to understand why my region was removed from shipping adresses in the Portuguese national territory area and they have always stated it was a database missing entry, they would mention the issue and hopefully a potential fix would placed. After seeing numerous forum threads about this and many others trying to do the same thing, its been more than a year and no fix has been issued.

They are pretty bad liars if their intent was to "cut costs" and ignore a region that wont request as many items as the mainland does... sigh, really wanted to get some acessories from them and i cannot :/. I just dont feel like the order to somewhere else and then change the destination to be a safe bet, especially considering it could end up costing considerably more.

Groomlake Authority

I have a OnePlus Two and I really couldnt care less. Just keep your own data secure instead of relying on a phone company that you barely know. 

6 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I have a OnePlus Two and I really couldnt care less. Just keep your own data secure instead of relying on a phone company that you barely know. 

Ah yes, I love having my bank information stolen. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Hopefully it's fixed soon, fortunately I'm almost never in a situation where a mitm attack could be used.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's stuff like this that make me run custom roms on my devices.

Been using Resurrection Remix on my OP3 since day 1.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

3 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

So blame me for correcting you, instead of making fun of you/or let someone else make fun of you later. 

Since when i was blaming you, I am just complementing you. I don't have low self esteem, it not like English is first or second language. 

Magical Pineapples

I have a Oneplus One with the original Cyanogen OS, so I guess I'm safe?