How is Asus VG248QE in 2017 ?

MCCOPRA

I am currently running a 4k monitor Asus PB287Q for my main setup. Love it the space the resolution is incredible for working editing.

but i started playing fast paced first person shooters like cs go - bf - cod and i feel limited by 60 fps ( i can head shot / snipe easy in 4k)

so i started looking around and since i have the 1080 ti now most suggested to get a g-sync monitor but the price difference is insane with normal 144hz and g-sync one

and freesync ones are also little bit expensive than the regular 144hz.

so i went ahead and picked Asus VG248QE to be my 144hz 1080p gaming monitor.

how is it ? - is g-sync / freesync worth the money or just plain 144hz is fine.

also i heard nvidia fastsync is also really good and you dont need special monitor for it.

As someone who went from 60Hz to 165Hz + G-Sync...

The jump from 60Hz to 144Hz+ is huge, very noticeable and you will never want to go back in most cases.

The jump from no G-Sync to G-Sync is not comparable to the one from 60Hz to 144Hz but once you get used to it you will appreciate it a lot and you will never want to be without it.

G-Sync is a big investment and it will lock you to NVIDIA side for future upgrades, so bear that in mind. I like it a lot, even though I think that the extra $ over Free-Sync is hard to justify, but since you already got top of the line NVIDIA Card it would make no sense to look at Free-Sync monitors.

EDIT:

Fast-Sync

It is not perfect and nearly not as good as G-Sync/Free-Sync, think about it as a better alternative to V-Sync since it requires very specific conditions to work properly.

1 hour ago, MCCOPRA said:

I am currently running a 4k monitor Asus PB287Q for my main setup. Love it the space the resolution is incredible for working editing.

but i started playing fast paced first person shooters like cs go - bf - cod and i feel limited by 60 fps ( i can head shot / snipe easy in 4k)

so i started looking around and since i have the 1080 ti now most suggested to get a g-sync monitor but the price difference is insane with normal 144hz and g-sync one

and freesync ones are also little bit expensive than the regular 144hz.

so i went ahead and picked Asus VG248QE to be my 144hz 1080p gaming monitor.

how is it ? - is g-sync / freesync worth the money or just plain 144hz is fine.

also i heard nvidia fastsync is also really good and you dont need special monitor for it.

It's decent. Not much has happened with 24" 1080p 144 Hz TN monitors since then. There are some newer options but the differences are minor if you aren't using FreeSync. Usually I recommend the newer ones, like the XG2401 or G2460PF, or the MG248Q, but it really just depends on pricing in your region. If the newer ones are similar price or cheaper, get one of them instead.