Purpose of Windowed side panel

Hey guys,

I'm new here and I got a question. I guess you know what is the question me and my friend got into an argument about the windowed side panel since he bought a case that has a side panel and placed it on the left side.

409a349d-8cd0-4bb0-b3f8-a646aa01ac5a.jpg.4907b363c84207493ab9fe332bbd5cb5.jpg

to me, it makes no sense to place it like that what are your opinion guys?

he could rotate it so that the right side panel faces the wall and the front faces the monitors side. but still personal preference

2 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

He can do whatever he want there's no need to argue on something like that its not worth it.

*Kinda weird actually but it his pc maybe he want to show it off

Yes I know but what is the real purpose of the windowed side panel?

Edit: I edited my grammar and replied twice in same window

there is no purpose.  it's just to show off the inside of your pc. and maybe present your hardware with a lightshow.

1 minute ago, Randomguy1911 said:

there is now purpose.  it's just to show off the inside of you pc. and maybe present your hardware with a lightshow.

It's hard to believe it's just to show off the component.

Aesthetic

come on "Just aesthetics" I thought it's to monitor the Liquid Cooling

3 minutes ago, Nox Du Pro said:

what other purpose would there be? 

O6JOdyS.jpg?1

xD

But, some people like minimalistic things, if you are one of those then I guess something like that wouldn't appeal to you, which is fair enough, we all have our own tastes and opinion :)

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

what other purpose would there be? 

xD

But, some people like minimalistic things, if you are one of those then I guess something like that wouldn't appeal to you, which is fair enough, we all have our own tastes and opinion :)

I was assuming it's to monitor the components and aesthetics are just bonus

Edited by Nox Du Pro

2 minutes ago, Nox Du Pro said:

Aesthetic

Many believe that with more glass/acrylic, You gain many fps. Just a small window will give you 5 fps more. Add led lighting gain 5 more again. Custom rgb liquid cooling with hard lined tubes....oh man...that's like 50 fps gain. 

But seriously. Its mainly for looks but it can be argued that it can be beneficial for liquid cooled computers. It allows you to constantly monitor your system without having to open it up. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

Just now, L.Lawliet said:

Its just to show off your guts that all. back in the day when we use aquarium pump and pipe for watercooler we dont have transparent side panel and it went just fine.

and then acrylic showed up.

Its mainly for aesthetic but it can be used to monitor your hardware like case or cpu fans or some crazy expensive custom loops or just want to show off your sick RGB ram that u spend $300 for it.

ugh! I was totally wrong then!! such embarrassing move on my part I guess I have to apologize to my friend about this.

4 minutes ago, Zusafek said:

Many believe that with more glass/acrylic, You gain many fps. Just a small window will give you 5 fps more. Add led lighting gain 5 more again. Custom rgb liquid cooling with hard lined tubes....oh man...that's like 50 fps gain. 

But seriously. Its mainly for looks but it can be argued that it can be beneficial for liquid cooled computers. It allows you to constantly monitor your system without having to open it up. 

Thank you for your time, I guess I have to apologize to my friend that I said a wrong. I was assuming that the main reason why windowed side panel was created is to constantly monitor his system and putting it to the side would lose its purpose.

4 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

what happened between u two?

nothing much he was asking an opinion about his placement and I said I don't like it because If I were to sit in his place I couldn't monitor the components and he replied by saying it's just for looks man! I was totally offended because I initially thought that the windowed side panel loses it purpose if I placed it like that.

Edit: but other than that we are ok I just wanted to prove him wrong.

1 minute ago, Nox Du Pro said:

ugh! I was totally wrong then!! such embarrassing move on my part I guess I have to apologize to my friend about this.

It is 99.9999999% ONLY there to show off your sexy hardware

HOWEVER

There are instances where because of PC builders being able to see their internals that they companies have implemented hardware monitoring tools that are visible on the components, for example EVGA's newest 1080ti GPU that has customizable LED's that indicate temperature zones.

0.jpg

So it's more like "The aesthetic is the primary reason, and monitoring the hardware is a bonus"

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

mine is for both, I have it with the front of the case facing the monitor,

58b7ldN.jpg?1

this allows me show off the damn hard work i did (14 hours custom sleeving !!!! ) and monitor my temps etc via the small screen and also keep an eye whilst gaming for any leaks that may occur, so I guess you could both be right 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

I stare at mine. Normally in regret. Other times I wonder how I can further puss people off by going against the grain. 

I don't use it to monitor as the only thing it would tell me is if there's a leak. Assuming I pay attention and that the leak itself is visible. 

One of my windowed pc's actually faces the wall, so no purpose. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

12 hours ago, Nox Du Pro said:

I was assuming it's to monitor the components and aesthetics are just bonus

come on "Just aesthetics" I thought it's to monitor the Liquid Cooling

Nope, the fact that you can look through the side panel and see your components is entirely bling.  We're a bunch of nerds, and this stuff is cool to us.

Why else would my videocard have a crazy black and red color scheme and a seal of solomon on the backplate (powercolor red devil).  Why have people been putting LED's and now RGB lighting in their cases since forever (although I haven't seen anybody stick a cold cathode in a case in a hot minute)?

I do like that modern cases have been trending towards cleaner designs in recent years, rather than "Let's see who has the biggest alien monolith tower with the most lights and fans in it" like it was back in 2005.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

They make sense if you really like how the insides of a pc look. I don't, I'd rather my PC stay clean and subtle but each to their own.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti