Buying a pc from craglist, seems to good to be true?

slayerming2

So I saw this deal on craglist.

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/sys/6115144165.html

Seems pretty great for $1250. I emailed the guy a few times, and he says he get's a 30% discount on everything, and that he just makes these as a hobby since he used to do this when he was working. Now apparently he works in some warehouse business, and he gave me the address and everything. He told me to contact the receptionist when I arrived. I looked over the business, and they have tons of reviews and seems legit.

So I imagine he is somewhat sincere at the very least.

He wants the $1250 in cash, and says when I arrive I'm free to run whatever tests I want. I was going to run UserBenchmark test and run a few games. Apparently he only has cod and battlefield installed. Not sure what else to do.

Any advice? Meeting with him tomorrow.

EDIT: Just worried that this is too good to be true, and there's actually some problems with the pc and he lied about the parts or something of the sort. 

lol bottlenecks

run unigene furmark and aida/prime

rip

Its a pretty good deal, I would personally build a r5 1600 + GTX 1080 build on my own but its decent value

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

4 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

7600K + 1080 is not a good match.

Why do you think the cpu will be a bottleneck for the gpu?

5 minutes ago, slayerming2 said:

Why do you think the cpu will be a bottleneck for the gpu?

Lol, it 4 threads m8.  For the upcoming years that won't be enough

Get this instead, it will be much better and longer lasting, you can drop it to $1200 if you change to a 1600

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gyBpnn

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($312.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($111.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($179.00 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB TURBO Video Card  ($488.00 @ Amazon) 
Case: Inwin - 301 Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($69.99) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($47.78 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1294.63

2 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

Because I have a 6600K and a 1070 and see 100% CPU usage in several games. The 7600K is basically the same, might clock a bit higher, but a 1080 is stronger than a 1070, so yeah, a decent bottleneck in CPU intensive games at 1080p. If you plan to run at 1440p or 4K it might not matter tho.

I plan to run games at 1440p, so would you say this isn't worth getting?

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Get this instead, it will be much better and longer lasting, you can drop it to $1200 if you change to a 1600

Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($47.78 @ SuperBiiz) 

Okay thanks for the information!

Just now, slayerming2 said:

I plan to run games at 1440p, so would you say this isn't worth getting?

still worth it but some games will hold back by the i5

rip

1 minute ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

overclock

Still only 4 threads.  A locked i7 is better than an i5 with a high OC

not a bad deal, but as some said cpu might bottleneck, if your really that concerned you could buy it, sell the 7600k on something like Hardwareswapon reddit or ebay or craigslist, and then drop in a 7700k, or go and build a full ryzen build, both good options

26 minutes ago, Damascus said:

23 minutes ago, slayerming2 said:

Okay thanks for the information!

For gaming, the 1700 will perform worse than the 7600K. The gap widens even further after overclocking both chips. Games still uses 2-4 threads, rarely more. 7600K has a MUCH stronger 4 thread than 1700 (especailly when both overclocked).

So,

7600K + 1080 is more balanced than 1700 + 1080.

If you do anything else other than game though, like edit videos or other productivity oriented software, 1700 will be a better pick since it has overall much more power (it's basically an 8 core haswell). Just know you won't be utilizing the 1080 to it's fullest.

1 minute ago, crystal6tak said:

For gaming, the 1700 will perform worse than the 7600K. The gap widens even further after overclocking both chips. Games still uses 2-4 threads, rarely more. 7600K has a MUCH stronger 4 thread than 1700 (especailly when both overclocked).

So,

7600K + 1080 is more balanced than 1700 + 1080.

If you do anything else other than game though, like edit videos or other productivity oriented software, 1700 will be a better pick since it has overall much more power (it's basically an 8 core haswell). Just know you won't be utilizing the 1080 to it's fullest.

Okay, yeah idk. This will be my first gaming pc. So I'm pretty ignorant on all this. Will be using this for 80% gaming, 15% light browsing, and 5% teaching myself some basic programming languages.

So anything you think is wrong with the build or anything I should watch out for tomorrow?

45 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

7600K + 1080 is not a good match.

why not? Both are great for gaming. An i7 would only help in video editing and other heavy productivity applications

Okay, yeah idk. This will be my first gaming pc. So I'm pretty ignorant on all this. Will be using this for 80% gaming, 15% light browsing, and 5% teaching myself some basic programming languages.

So anything you think is wrong with the build or anything I should watch out for tomorrow?

honestly if you are mostly gaming, it will be great, it will run games well and last you a few years, down the line you can always just drop in an i7 and a better gpu and go hard for a couple more years. Tl:DR Good pc, good price, I would buy it

3 minutes ago, slayerming2 said:

If you plan on gaming that heavily go for it.  I suggest that if you get this system buy an i7 8700K down the line and just swap out the i5,  (or get a 6700K/7700K for dirt cheap)

Just now, Damascus said:

If you plan on gaming that heavily go for it.  I suggest that if you get this system buy an i7 8700K down the line and just swap out the i5,

Okay thank you, so any advice tomorrow to make sure it's legit? We've all seem to assume that this person is being 100% honest, which he could be, but I'm a bit paranoid since I was robbed last week. What would you do when your there testing the pc to make sure everything is as advertised? 

1 minute ago, WolfoftheShadow7465 said:

honestly if you are mostly gaming, it will be great, it will run games well and last you a few years, down the line you can always just drop in an i7 and a better gpu and go hard for a couple more years. Tl:DR Good pc, good price, I would buy it

So any advice for tomorrow to make sure the computer is legit? Don't want to mistrust the person, but just to be safe.

Okay thank you, so any advice tomorrow to make sure it's legit? We've all seem to assume that this person is being 100% honest, which he could be, but I'm a bit paranoid since I was robbed last week. What would you do when your there testing the pc to make sure everything is as advertised? 

I would put a full suite of stress tests on either an external drive or usb.  

Get

Aida 64

P95

PCmark

Unigine heaven, superimposition

Anything else you can think of as well

5 minutes ago, slayerming2 said:

Seems fine, check how much the build costs if you build it yourself using pcpartpicker.com and see how much you save (or overpay) for the parts. I'm in class now or else I'll do it myself.

Three things I'd check (other than just benching CPU and GPU):

1.) Make sure all the listed parts are in there

2.) Check the PSU model, he didn't state the exact model. Could be something he cheaped out on

3.) See how loud it is, see if you can tolerate it, if you can't, see if it's worth it to replace the fans with quality quite ones.

Just now, crystal6tak said:

3.) See how loud it is, see if you can tolerate it, if you can't, see if it's worth it to replace the fans with quality quite ones.

In theory the fans should be pretty quiet, the front ones are corsairs RGB sp series and the Kraken has decent fans as well

10 minutes ago, slayerming2 said:

So any advice for tomorrow to make sure the computer is legit? Don't want to mistrust the person, but just to be safe.

check for parts, make sure it has them all, look to see if they are the same parts he advertised, if they arent then talk him down because they are missing or walk away, and dont sweat it, most people in the pc community are cool people.

7 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I would put a full suite of stress tests on either an external drive or usb.  

Get

Aida 64

P95

PCmark

Unigine heaven, superimposition

Anything else you can think of as well

Okay I was originally going to do 

Aida64 → CPU

furmark → GPU

UserBenchmark test

unigine heaven

3DMark

Will add those one's on there as well. Anything else you suggest I should do?