Buying a pc from craglist, seems to good to be true?

slayerming2
6 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

Seems fine, check how much the build costs if you build it yourself using pcpartpicker.com and see how much you save (or overpay) for the parts. I'm in class now or else I'll do it myself.

Three things I'd check (other than just benching CPU and GPU):

1.) Make sure all the listed parts are in there

2.) Check the PSU model, he didn't state the exact model. Could be something he cheaped out on

3.) See how loud it is, see if you can tolerate it, if you can't, see if it's worth it to replace the fans with quality quite ones.

Okay thanks! yeah I checked on pcpartpicker, and it would cost me $400+ more to build it. He said he get's 30% off from his suppliers so I guess that's how he's able to sell it for so cheap. 

Okay, anything else you think I should do?

2 minutes ago, WolfoftheShadow7465 said:

check for parts, make sure it has them all, look to see if they are the same parts he advertised, if they arent then talk him down because they are missing or walk away, and dont sweat it, most people in the pc community are cool people.

Yeah idk, he just seems like an old semi-retired dude that want's to build pcs as a hobby to keep himself occupied since he did it professionally in the past. Hoping this is what actually is the case and not something worse...

1 minute ago, slayerming2 said:

Yeah idk, he just seems like an old semi-retired dude that want's to build pcs as a hobby to keep himself occupied since he did it professionally in the past. Hoping this is what actually is the case and not something worse...

yeah, good luck on getting a pc!

4 minutes ago, slayerming2 said:

Okay thanks! yeah I checked on pcpartpicker, and it would cost me $400+ more to build it. He said he get's 30% off from his suppliers so I guess that's how he's able to sell it for so cheap. 

Okay, anything else you think I should do?

Over 400$ saved? Nice! Go for it then.

It's incredibly difficult to physically "fake" pc hardware (exception to USB memory sticks) so if after all the CPU/GPU benches and everything seems ok. You're good to go!

1 minute ago, WolfoftheShadow7465 said:

yeah, good luck on getting a pc!

Okay thanks for all the help!

Just now, crystal6tak said:

Over 400$ saved? Nice! Go for it then.

It's incredibly difficult to "fake" pc hardware (exception to USB memory sticks) so if after all the CPU/GPU benches and everything seems ok. You're good to go!

Yeah idk, will run a bunch of tests, and then I guess I should probably wipe the drive when I get the pc back home.

Just now, Jorgen297 said:

This used to be true, but it's now outdated knowledge. GPUs improved much faster than CPUs, and mid range CPUs (i5's) are no longer good enough to fully utilize mid-high end GPUs. 

I'm factoring in overclocking, at stock the numbers are much worse than what I've said.  

So would you say the deal isn't that great?

1 minute ago, slayerming2 said:

So would you say the deal isn't that great?

I'd go with the build I linked you, way more ssd space, a brand new platform and having the experience of building the PC yourself are all wonderful things.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

I'd go with the build I linked you, way more ssd space, a brand new platform and having the experience of building the PC yourself are all wonderful things.

Okay, yeah I was going to build a pc around the gtx 1070 with a friend. But the build he is selling is a lot better and cheaper. IDK, will think about it.

Just now, slayerming2 said:

Okay, yeah I was going to build a pc around the gtx 1070 with a friend. But the build he is selling is a lot better and cheaper. IDK, will think about it.

Well, the build I linked you is actually better than the one you are considering buying and costs either $90 more or $30 less (if you get a 1600 instead)

7 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Well, the build I linked you is actually better than the one you are considering buying and costs either $90 more or $30 less (if you get a 1600 instead)

Okay will take a look! Thanks!

1 minute ago, Jorgen297 said:

It's not great, no, but it's still not a bad deal. I think you can build a better performing PC for the same price, but it will be less flashy. 

:3 I chose a nice TG mATX case and every thing else is black or grey.  The cooler on the 1700 is RGB as well so the addition of a $15 rgb strip will liven it up.  Oh @slayerming2 also get a couple of cheap fans to get good airflow.

Don't  trust people  on craigslist who give warranties, not saying you shouldn't still buy it, just don't expect them to honor it when things go wrong.

Don't  trust people  on craigslist who give warranties, not saying you shouldn't still buy it, just don't expect them to honor it when things go wrong.

Yeah idk, probably will still go tomorrow and see the pc and talk to him. You currently living in michigan? The guy is in Livonia. 

Why do you think the cpu will be a bottleneck for the gpu?

I wouldn't worry too much about bottlenecks at resolutions above 1080p.  

check for parts, make sure it has them all, look to see if they are the same parts he advertised, if they arent then talk him down because they are missing or walk away, and dont sweat it, most people in the pc community are cool people.

^This.  The guy also said he has receipts for all the parts, so be sure to ask for all of them and actually read them. One of the biggest concerns i have with used PC parts (other than DOA's, obviously) is purchasing stolen merchandise.  Not sure if its a legitimate concnern, or just indictiive of the area i live in, but you can never be too careful.  Overall, this guy seems pretty legit and it looks like a great deal.  

I wouldn't worry too much about bottlenecks at resolutions above 1080p.  

^This.  The guy also said he has receipts for all the parts, so be sure to ask for all of them and actually read them. One of the biggest concerns i have with used PC parts (other than DOA's, obviously) is purchasing stolen merchandise.  Not sure if its a legitimate concnern, or just indictiive of the area i live in, but you can never be too careful.  Overall, this guy seems pretty legit and it looks like a great deal.  

Yeah I think he is legit. The fact he gave me the address of his business, and that I'll meet his other co-workers makes me think he's not out to make a quick buck or anything. IDK, he says he'll give me all the receipts and I'll get a one year warranty of sorts. Going to run a bunch of these tests too: 

Aida64 → CPU

furmark → GPU

UserBenchmark test

unigine heaven

3DMark

MemTest86→  Temperature

Anything else you think I should do?

Cragslist? do you want to be stabbed 

I think that won't be that big of a problem.

use cpuz, gpuz to check the specs of the motherboard cpu ram gpu to make sure he didn't swap anything

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

16 hours ago, slayerming2 said:

Yeah I think he is legit. The fact he gave me the address of his business, and that I'll meet his other co-workers makes me think he's not out to make a quick buck or anything. IDK, he says he'll give me all the receipts and I'll get a one year warranty of sorts. Going to run a bunch of these tests too: 

Aida64 → CPU

furmark → GPU

UserBenchmark test

unigine heaven

3DMark

MemTest86→  Temperature

Anything else you think I should do?

Nope...that should pretty much cover it.  Good luck!