Gaming/Video editing CPU

Tea1337

Likely,  Most people just leave that alone and do their editing.

For a GPU I'd go for the 280x or the R9 290 (non ref when it comes out) if you've got the extra money. 

For a GPU I'd go for the 280x or the R9 290 (non ref when it comes out) if you've got the extra money. 

Nah, the 780 ti will be good enough, especially when I get it to run in Sli.

Nah, the 780 ti will be good enough, especially when I get it to run in Sli.

What you just said is major overkill. 

What you just said is major overkill. 

I like overkill. I'll be even more future proof! ;)

I like overkill. I'll be even more future proof! ;)

I'd recommend not buying those two at once, just have one for like a year or two then buy a second one the minute games start to get more demanding. 

Thanks for all the help guys, but one question I need to ask. Does the FX-8350 have 8 Physical cores  Or 4 logical cores and 4 threads? 

The FX-8350 has 8 integer units and 4 floating point units.  The i7-4770K has 4 integer units and 4 floating point units, plus hyperthreading.

The 4770k is a better chip for what you're doing than the 8350, if you can afford the change I would strongly recommend it.  The gaming performance between the two isn't even close, the Intel chip utterly destroys the 8350, video editing is pretty comparable between the two...so in the end the Intel chip is going to be better.  As for the overclocking statements:  the AMD chip doesn't "scale" better, the 4770k can easily clock to 4.6 as long as you have an appropriate cooling solution too.  If you're lucky you can go higher but the temps quickly escalate (which is true of other chips as well). 

I went with a 4770k and I'm going to do a minor overclock, I got a pretty decent chip so I could probably get a pretty high OC out of it but I'm not that concerned about it since it's plenty fast even at stock clockspeeds...