Gaming/Video editing CPU

Tea1337

I bought a FX-8350 and the motherboard to go with it, at the time of purchasing i thought it was the best cpu, that I could OC and get the most out of. Looking at intel processors, yes they are more expensive but If I throw more money into an intel system, will I get more performance with something such as an i7-4770K and OC it? I'll leave that to the CPU masters. 

Is the 8350 keeping up with what you are doing? If it is no need to upgrade...

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Is the 8350 keeping up with what you are doing? If it is no need to upgrade...

The 8350 is still in the box, I am wondering if I should go to intell or keep with AMD for the build, I see alot of systems using intel rather than AMD.

8350 is a good processor. people always want something they don't have

if it aint broke don't fix it...

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

Intel i7 has the added benefits of Enhanced video encoding making it more suited for Video editing, However the Multiple cores on the AMD add stability (Some times).

Out of the 2 i would go for the Intel because its the better option for Video editing/ Gaming, it might cost more, but at least 6months - 2 years down the line you are less likly to want to upgrade.

Character artist in the Games industry.

With the new titles using more than 2-4 cores (Thanks Consoles  :wub: ) The 8350 may give better performance in some applications 

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

With the new titles using more than 2-4 cores (Thanks Consoles  :wub: ) The 8350 may give better performance in some applications 

Yeah, now with consoles using 8 core processors (PS4) It just may be best to keep the 8350 for future games and such.

Yeah, now with consoles using 8 core processors (PS4) It just may be best to keep the 8350 for future games and such.

4 Good Cores will always beat out 8 poor cores. 

And a small note, the Ps4 and Xbo are both already outdated, a better thing to do is look at what Steam box are doing if you are using consoles as a guide to building a pc.

Character artist in the Games industry.

The 8350 is still in the box, I am wondering if I should go to intell or keep with AMD for the build, I see alot of systems using intel rather than AMD.

Mate, do what you feel, the reason most systems... the high end ones use Intel is because of Intel's claw in the market, people think Intel is cooler and stable and while this is true is some circumstances its rare you will notice a difference unless you are in the worst scenario.   Allot of high end gaming machines use Intel too, because they have had the #1 spot of gaming performance for a long time, however its really unexpected, about what stuff AMD will do, because I know they are going to combat this.  And allot of professional editors etc choose Intel because of the technologies built into the processor.  Although if its going to be rough to get an Intel or you'll get an i5 instead of the 8350, stick with the 8350. 

Mate, do what you feel, the reason most systems... the high end ones use Intel is because of Intel's claw in the market, people think Intel is cooler and stable and while this is true is some circumstances its rare you will notice a difference unless you are in the worst scenario.   Allot of high end gaming machines use Intel too, because they have had the #1 spot of gaming performance for a long time, however its really unexpected, about what stuff AMD will do, because I know they are going to combat this.  And allot of professional editors etc choose Intel because of the technologies built into the processor.  Although if its going to be rough to get an Intel or you'll get an i5 instead of the 8350, stick with the 8350. 

Thanks man, I now know why everyone goes with intel, i've always likes AMD instead on intel and the 8350 stays.

Thanks man, I now know why everyone goes with intel, i've always likes AMD instead on intel and the 8350 stays.

Nice! These days Haswell is just as hot as AMD anyway lol

Get the 4770K then you won't have to upgrade for another 3-4 years. 

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

8350 is a boss cpu and they OC well, no real point getting a 4770k if you haven't even tried it

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

In workstation tasks the 8350 is the way to go, beating the i5-4670K at the same price, and equaling the i7-4770K at a lower price, in general.  If you need more performance than that, the i7-4930K is pretty beastly but whether it's worth the money is up to you.  It's almost 3x the price of the 8350, and I think the 8350 is plenty powerful for the majority of people.  

8350 is a boos cpu and they OC well, no real point getting a 4770k if you haven't even tried it

To add to how well it OC's

I got a friend to buy a system w/ an 8350 (Cooled by an H100i) and a 7970, and he wanted to oc his cpu for the hell of it. So went over and OC'ed the cpu to 4.6 stable (Was able to get it to 4.8-5.0 but i left it at 4.6 because the temps were great)

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

To add to how well it OC's

I got a friend to buy a system w/ an 8350 (Cooled by an H100i) and a 7970, and he wanted to oc his cpu for the hell of it. So went over and OC'ed the cpu to 4.6 stable (Was able to get it to 4.8-5.0 but i left it at 4.6 because the temps were great)

Yer, and we have seen how well a 9590 performs but they are just way to expensive, if you get your 8350 to those clocks then I don't see why you would get a 4770k? Unless your absolutely need it...

8350 is a boss cpu and they OC well, no real point getting a 4770k if you haven't even tried it

The OC argument doesn't cut it. An i7-4770K can also OC and with hyperthreading has as many virtual cores as an 8350. And, if more cores are the difference there is always LGA2011.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

The OC argument doesn't cut it. An i7-4770K can also OC and with hyperthreading has as many virtual cores as an 8350. And, if more cores are the difference there is always LGA2011.

The 8350 scales better with oc'ing than the 4770k. I guess it's just to argue that stock benchmarks are a bit favored for the 4770k's side. 

The 8350 doesn't beat the 4770k in video editing except in some rare cases but is quite powerful with a compelling value. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

In workstation tasks the 8350 is the way to go, beating the i5-4670K at the same price, and equaling the i7-4770K at a lower price, in general.  If you need more performance than that, the i7-4930K is pretty beastly but whether it's worth the money is up to you.  It's almost 3x the price of the 8350, and I think the 8350 is plenty powerful for the majority of people.  

Do you have any links to benchmarks that show a stock FX- 8350 equaling an i7-4770k in workstation tasks?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Thanks for all the help guys, but one question I need to ask. Does the FX-8350 have 8 Physical cores  Or 4 logical cores and 4 threads? 

Thanks for all the help guys, but one question I need to ask. Does the FX-8350 have 8 Physical cores  Or 4 logical cores and 4 threads? 

8 physical Cores i think ;)

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

Hold on a sec... Wouldn't you use openCL acceleration for editing if it really mattered that much?

Hold on a sec... Wouldn't you use openCL acceleration for editing if it really mattered that much?

Likely,  Most people just leave that alone and do their editing.

Xbox One is an 8 core too...lol but they are both using the same 8 cores, they are pretty low running at 1.9GHz (If I remember correctly) 

Just keep your 8350 bro, it's good for what you want to do.