Did we miss something?

SSOB

Hi guys , as all of you know ( or you must have slept under a rock ) the ''next-gen'' PS4 has come out and the Xbone will soon follow. Now looking at the specc list there is one odd thing : '' The console contains 8 GB of GDDR5 memory,[27][38] 16 times the amount of RAM found in the PS3 and is expected to give the console considerable longevity''

Now we all know 8GB of Vram is just extreme overkill for 1080P . We also know that HDMI 2.0 is just a software update and not a physical hardware update ( maybe higher quality cables but the female connector is the same). 

So to the point : What if the next gen consoles ( especially PS4 ) will be able to run 4K in a few years. I know it may sound impossible but what if it's all a big strategy. What i'm personally thinking is that Mantle is just a ''beta'' for the PC and AMD just wants to see how much the performance is increasing. This isnt odd considering the fact that AMD is providing both of the jaguar GPU's in the consoles. But what role does the PC play in this? Well we all know 4K gaming is around the corner , developers already started to develop some early games for better 4K support as 4K displays and TV's are rapidly becoming cheaper. What i'm trying to say is that Mantle could become a Crossplatform code so that 4K will be closer than ever. 

From another perspective : sony is bringing out 4K TV's That are becoming more affordable everyday. I just can't imagine a company like Sony or Microsoft being so stupid that they can't support 4K in a couple of years , i mean we are talking about ''Tech'' companies right? They must have something up their sleeve because they know that 1080P isn't cutting it anymore. 

Well just my 2 cents, now discuss....

Interested in Business and Technology

If I am not mistaken... I believe the 8GB of GDDR5 are shared between video memory and system memory.

I would be really surprised if any of the next gen consoles could handle 4K gaming at decent frame rates.

Given what is under the hood of 'next-gen consoles', 4K is simply out of the question. Maybe 4K in Quake III?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

8GB is overkill? Bitch please. give it a few years. games will utilize more and that 8GB will be needed dearly.

If I'm not mistake the 512MB of ram that was on the previous console was considered a fair amount back then. Things have changed,...

TekSyndicate Forum Moderator: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/users/njm1112

5930K@4.3Ghz | 16GB 4x4 2133Mhz | r9-290 | 6TB Raid5 | 250GB 850Evo | 8.1pro | RM750

7850 (270) with 4K? Yeah, no. But we'll just have to see the performance increase of Mantle.

They've already said 4K will be blu ray movies ONLY, games will not run anything over 1080p i believe it was Sony that said that. And. Seeing as from a gaming standpoint, the play station and Xbox are like the same thing, no 4K gaming

If I am not mistaken... I believe the 8GB of GDDR5 are shared between video memory and system memory.

I would be really surprised if any of the next gen consoles could handle 4K gaming at decent frame rates.

8GB is overkill? Bitch please. give it a few years. games will utilize more and that 8GB will be needed dearly.

If I'm not mistake the 512MB of ram that was on the previous console was considered a fair amount back then. Things have changed,...

8GB is MASSSIVEEE overkill for 1080P...

System memory use is only like 2GB... it's really not much.

The 8gb of RAM is shared by both the CPU and the GPU so actually it's not even that much. Also they won't be able to run 4k simply because the APUs they run are severely under powered. Some games, like dead rising 3, will run at 720p 30fps. Pathetic.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

8GB is MASSSIVEEE overkill for 1080P...

System memory use is only like 2GB... it's really not much.

2gb system memery? You know games also use system memory, not just the OS :P. I think it will be divided something like 6gb for cpu and 2 gb for gpu or something along those lines.

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

the 8GB of ram is shared by the cpu and the gpu. 8GB may seem like alot right now but i can guarantee you that in 5yrs they'll be pushing the 8GB limit. We've seen this in all parts of technology.

8GB is massive. for now. Current titles like crysis 3 have been seen using 2GB+ of memory while other older games use less. [ONLY Vram]

I bet in 5yrs we all be building rigs with 16GB kits

Edited by NJM1112

5930K@4.3Ghz | 16GB 4x4 2133Mhz | r9-290 | 6TB Raid5 | 250GB 850Evo | 8.1pro | RM750

2gb system memery? You know games also use system memory, not just the OS :P. I think it will be divided something like 6gb for cpu and 2 gb for gpu or something along those lines.

No way , it's gotta be far less than that.  

What we know is that sony has confirmed that 5GB is free to use for developpers , we don't know if they mean the GPU or what but if they do that's really much for ''just 1080P''

No way , it's gotta be far less than that.  

What we know is that sony has confirmed that 5GB is free to use for developpers , we don't know if they mean the GPU or what but if they do that's really much for ''just 1080P''

Exactly so straight away 3gb goes to just running the OS. Then games will also use a good amount of system memory, look on PC, something like BF4 can easily use 4gb of system memory at 1080p then you have the GPU memory, which will use whatever 1-2 GB is left. You're forgetting the fact that games use a lot of system memory too, not just GPU memory.

Exactly so straight away 3gb goes to just running the OS. Then games will also use a good amount of system memory, look on PC, something like BF4 can easily use 4gb of system memory at 1080p then you have the GPU memory, which will use whatever 1-2 GB is left. You're forgetting the fact that games use a lot of system memory too, not just GPU memory.

I understand this , however we dont know how well optimized the ''PS4-OS'' is . The time shall learn how much RAM is actually allocated to the system and how much is free for the GPU. Sony hasn't confirmed anything so we can't know yet.

No. Not gaming. They would be playing 4K videos, movies, etc. It wouldn't get that close since consoles are already being maxed out before they were released and only getting 1080p at 60 FPS.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

the 8GB of ram is shared by the cpu and the gpu. 8GB may seem like alot right now but i can guarantee you that in 5yrs they'll be pushing the 8GB limit. We've seen this in all parts of technology.

8GB is massive. for now. Current titles like crysis 3 have been seen using 2GB+ of memory while other older games use less.

I bet in 5yrs we all be building rigs with 16GB kits

Modern games such as battlefielf 4 on ultra settings can use more then 4,5 or even 6 GB of your memory in your PC, that's not including your ram on your video card, and the 8gb on the consoles is shared, I give it a year until 16gb kits become the minimum

I doubt many will care. Some people can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p games.

Compatible with Windows 95

keep in mind that having extra ram does NOT hurt anything. it only helps the future.

Think of a ram like a bowl. If you have 1 cup of stuff and you have a 2cup bowl that's just fine. It does not make much sense to get a bigger bowl, unless you're going to be adding more stuff into it later.

Dude, it wouldn't matter even if the PS4 had 16GB of GDDR5.  It won't be running games at 4K.

It takes a 780-Ti/R9-290X just to get most modern games to "playable" average framerates at 4K.  And most modern games likely aren't designed for 4K; what happens when games actually start getting 4K textures?

I don't care how much optimization is done; there's no way a GPU equivalent to a 7790/7850 will ever be able to deliver a decent quality experience at 4K, even if you could magically squeeze twice the performance out of the chip.

Besides, these console games are already huge at 720/1080; how is anyone going to fit a game with hundreds of gigs of 4K textures on a non-replaceable 500GB Xbox One HDD?

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro