Ryzen 5 build vs i5 build (read the question thoroughly)

Just now, Folktale said:

The motherboard doesn't support Ryzen CPUs :(((((

What? Which board?

rip

1 minute ago, rip said:

What? Which board?

ASUS PRIME A320M-K 

Just now, Folktale said:

ASUS PRIME A320M-K 

AMD AM4 Socket for AMD Ryzen™/7th Generation A-series/Athlon™ Processors
Supports CPU up to 8 cores
* Refer to www.asus.com for CPU support list

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-A320M-K/HelpDesk_CPU/

Ryzen 5 1600(3.2GHz,6C,L3:16M,65W,rev:B1)ALL0217

it will work well but again i highly suggest getting a b350 for ability to overclock

rip

6 minutes ago, rip said:

AMD AM4 Socket for AMD Ryzen™/7th Generation A-series/Athlon™ Processors
Supports CPU up to 8 cores
* Refer to www.asus.com for CPU support list

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-A320M-K/HelpDesk_CPU/

Ryzen 5 1600(3.2GHz,6C,L3:16M,65W,rev:B1)ALL0217

it will work well but again i highly suggest getting a b350 for ability to overclock

The motherboard you suggested has already been suggested either by you or someone else. But I cannot get that cause it is costing me with the Ryzen build. And I still have to add the other things like UPS, keyboard and mouse, and optical drive and might increase RAM to 16GB.

Just now, Folktale said:

The motherboard you suggested has already been suggested either by you or someone else. But I cannot get that cause it is costing me with the Ryzen build. And I still have to add the other things like UPS, keyboard and mouse, and optical drive and might increase RAM to 16GB.

Cheaper case and cheaper gpu still doesn't fit it?

rip

43 minutes ago, Folktale said:

someone vote on i5 please :'(

It's not good, r5 is just better.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

18 minutes ago, rip said:

Cheaper case and cheaper gpu still doesn't fit it?

if I leave other components, definitely it fits. But I cannot leave out UPS and a keyboard and a mouse, which I already picked the cheapest :(

1 minute ago, Folktale said:

if I leave other components, definitely it fits. But I cannot leave out UPS and a keyboard and a mouse, which I already picked the cheapest :(

well get a320 then

rip

1 minute ago, rip said:

well get a320 then

how would you rate the build? 1-10? 

6 hours ago, Folktale said:

how would you rate the build? 1-10? 

dude u are confusing people a lot if u don't have high budget then get r5 1400 it costs 13k and is better than i5 in blender as well as in gaming.

and b350 Motherboard does not cost a lot check mdcomputers they have one for just 7-7.5k

now what questions u have ??

7 hours ago, Tim Serious said:

dude u are confusing people a lot if u don't have high budget then get r5 1400 it costs 13k and is better than i5 in blender as well as in gaming.

and b350 Motherboard does not cost a lot check mdcomputers they have one for just 7-7.5k

Sorry if I confused people. I am confused as hell too. :D

The 1600 costs almost the same as i5-7500 on mdcomputer. But has 2 more cores and 8 more threads. Now I have heard that the Ryzen 5 1600 at stock speed is not good at gaming compared to i5-7500. I cannot even find a decent video showing me how good or bad it is. Just benchmarks. And those benchmarks are done by using more powerful GPU than 1050 ti. 

Now, if people are agitated or bored by my questions, they are free not to reply. But answers like, "go for this" or "this is way better" doesn't help much as most of them are just guessing. And real world performance will be quite different than what they guessed. 

Now people have to understand this, this is my very first build. It won't be like I will be getting a Ryzen 1400 now and replacing it by Ryzen 5 or 7 after a year. I am not a rich guy. If I were, you really think I would have gone for 105o ti? or 4GB RAM? Nope. I would have picked up some Titan X GPU, 32GB RAM and so forth. But like I said once here in this forum some days ago, people here are not ether reading the question properly or just simply don't care. I have said in almost numerous of my post that my budget is already exceeding by some $140. That's might not be much to people but it is a lot for me. I also have said by using bold font and large font that I DO NOT WANT TO OVERCLOCK. Now what part of that people cannot understand here? Temp is already 42 C in Delhi and people want me to overclock my new system with stock cooling. My Deepcool x6 is struggling to keep my laptop cool with just Edge open with 3 tabs(no video). And when I play high end games and do rendering on my New PC, I am not sure how good the stock cooling will be with overclocking. 

The reason I am not going for 1400 is simply because it is only 2000 Rs. cheaper than 1600. 1600 is better than 1400, right? Now you will think that why not go with 1400 and save Rs. 2000 and invest those Rs. 2000 on cooling system. Well, here you are right. But you are forgetting one thing, my friend. 8GB is nothing when it comes to rendering. And you know I cannot get extra 4GB RAM with that money. 

Now, why I don't want to raise my budget further: I have to get accessories like UPS, Keyboard and Mouse. I still have to decide on a good monitor which can cost me extra Rs. 4000 = $62. And for graphics work, I might have to increase my HDD from 1TB to 2TB. 

Now i5-7500 gives me balanced performance in terms of gaming and rendering. But this is not the same case with Ryzen 5. I will have to higher frequency RAM which will also increase my cost but it will be far better at rendering but not good at gaming as i5-7500. With intel I have more choice. But with AMD, I am stuck with it's compatible components. This is what two computer building guys have said when I talked to them yesterday. They said that with intel I am secure by sacrificing rendering performance, but with AMD I will have to dig a lot to get compatible RAM and Motherboard. Since I will be going to market tomorrow, I will know about the availability of things. I am not purchasing these things off the internet as they told me not to, and they are right in a sense. 

Even after more than 20 people recommending me here Ryzen 5 1600, I am still not sure as to what CPU will benefit me in the near future. I will tell you about a bad experience my friend experienced. His AMD motherboard fried up or something and he sent it to claim the warranty. The guy said they will replace it with a new motherboard. But the motherboard arrived some 2-3 weeks later because there is not much demand for AMD products here in India. 8-10 people here use Intel. That's what they guy said to him, the one who built his computer. Now, I am a fanboy of neither. If I were to go with Intel, I would not have asked this question in the first place. And if I had something against AMD, I still wouldn't have this question.

Now you get a clear picture of why I am confused? 

Also, I can do with intel CPU taking 2-3 minute longer to render. But I can not do with a Ryzen giving me stuttering and poor performance in games. Cause poor performance in games will ruin my experience and joy. However, I can wait for some extra minutes for a CPU to render. Now I think I made the picture more clear. Will you go for a chip that is giving you poor frames but great rendering times? As It turns out, I need it for both. If I wanted a rendering CPU, I will be stupid to go with i5. if I wanted a gaming CPU, I would be stupid to go with Ryzen 5. But what if I want and need both?

7 hours ago, Tim Serious said:

Question:

What is the better choice for a cpu?

Ryzen 1600 non X

Better Board B350 if in budget (btw, you may not be interested in overclocking, but you may be in the near future, especially with your RAM if you want to save money and stay with 2133 but get it up to 2400+. As for the CPU, the

Gigabyte boards IMO has the easiest to navigate and is the simplest to overclock on. It is free performance, turning $200 cpu's into $300 cpu's). Asus is also very easy to navigate.

GPUIf you are playing at 1080p and medium or better graphics an rx 570 or 1050ti would be fine (rx 570 4/8 gig recommended, if the 1060 6 gb or rx 580 4/8 gb are close enough in your budget then I would choose those. You may get far more than expected, but that is a good thing). If you go rx 570, rx 580, or 1060 6gb, buy the cheapest model. They all have their cooling worked out, so don't worry about "This card runs too hot" regarding brand, that was resolved with the extra connectors and cooling.

RAM: Use what you have, buy what you can. If you buy more RAM, get whatever, RAM will run at the speed of the slowest stick, so they are normally compatible. You can always raise the speed easily, and there are plenty of videos in your language to walk you through it. You are a smart kid, I can tell by your English skills, I have a feeling after a couple of weeks you are going to want to OC. Call it an educated hunch.

More about OC: "I have a 1600 that I can make game like an overclocked 7600K and render almost as fast as a $1000 6900! All I have to do is change the numbers in 6 boxes?" That's really all a basic low OC is. You don't have to start at 4.2 and work down. Type 38 in the 6 multiplier boxes, save the profile, and it now runs at 3.8 which should be perfectly stable with the cooler, without changing the voltage. If not, go back to the boxes and type in 37.5. Watch the vids first if you do get the OC bug.

Case: Pick the least expensive one that has what you want (ie. front usb 3.0, headphone jack...all pretty standard, though the jack isn't really a necessity).

PSU: Take total est tpd (total power draw, not to be confused with tdp, which deals with thermals), add 150%, pick the cheapest from the tier list (tiers 1-3)

Keyboard and Mouse: If you can find and old PC anywhere, use that and save the $25 bucks. When you are on a budget, the keyboard really isn't a big deal, nor is the mouse. I'm typing on a Keyboard from a PC that originally had Windows 98 on it. Heh, it was Logitech's first ergonomic usb keyboard I believe. Almost 20 years old. It works fine, though I have had to pop and clean the keys a few times over the years.

Hard Drive: A basic 1 or 2 terabyte sata drive should be fine to start with. You can add an ssd, m.2, whatever after the fact.

You don't need an optical drive normally anymore, but I still include them myself, as I don't always stream movies, I have so many old games on DvD, and, well, it's one old fashioned thing I like to have in my builds. You can probably get 1 very cheap (like $5-$10 usd for a bu-ray player/cd/dvdrw) off ebay.

If you are not re-using Windows that you already have, buy it from Kinguin and save $100+ usd.

If you can squeeze all that into your budget, I would rate it a 9 or so for an all new parts PC except RAM, and possibly keyboard and mouse.

Best of luck.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

12 minutes ago, Folktale said:

Sorry if I confused people. I am confused as hell too. :D

The 1600 costs almost the same as i5-7500 on mdcomputer. But has 2 more cores and 8 more threads. Now I have heard that the Ryzen 5 1600 at stock speed is not good at gaming compared to i5-7500. I cannot even find a decent video showing me how good or bad it is. Just benchmarks. And those benchmarks are done by using more powerful GPU than 1050 ti. 

Now, if people are agitated or bored by my questions, they are free not to reply. But answers like, "go for this" or "this is way better" doesn't help much as most of them are just guessing. And real world performance will be quite different than what they guessed. 

Now people have to understand this, this is my very first build. It won't be like I will be getting a Ryzen 1400 now and replacing it by Ryzen 5 or 7 after a year. I am not a rich guy. If I were, you really think I would have gone for 105o ti? or 4GB RAM? Nope. I would have picked up some Titan X GPU, 32GB RAM and so forth. But like I said once here in this forum some days ago, people here are not ether reading the question properly or just simply don't care. I have said in almost numerous of my post that my budget is already exceeding by some $140. That's might not be much to people but it is a lot for me. I also have said by using bold font and large font that I DO NOT WANT TO OVERCLOCK. Now what part of that people cannot understand here? Temp is already 42 C in Delhi and people want me to overclock my new system with stock cooling. My Deepcool x6 is struggling to keep my laptop cool with just Edge open with 3 tabs(no video). And when I play high end games and do rendering on my New PC, I am not sure how good the stock cooling will be with overclocking. 

The reason I am not going for 1400 is simply because it is only 2000 Rs. cheaper than 1600. 1600 is better than 1400, right? Now you will think that why not go with 1400 and save Rs. 2000 and invest those Rs. 2000 on cooling system. Well, here you are right. But you are forgetting one thing, my friend. 8GB is nothing when it comes to rendering. And you know I cannot get extra 4GB RAM with that money. 

Now, why I don't want to raise my budget further: I have to get accessories like UPS, Keyboard and Mouse. I still have to decide on a good monitor which can cost me extra Rs. 4000 = $62. And for graphics work, I might have to increase my HDD from 1TB to 2TB. 

Now i5-7500 gives me balanced performance in terms of gaming and rendering. But this is not the same case with Ryzen 5. I will have to higher frequency RAM which will also increase my cost but it will be far better at rendering but not good at gaming as i5-7500. With intel I have more choice. But with AMD, I am stuck with it's compatible components. This is what two computer building guys have said when I talked to them yesterday. They said that with intel I am secure by sacrificing rendering performance, but with AMD I will have to dig a lot to get compatible RAM and Motherboard. Since I will be going to market tomorrow, I will know about the availability of things. I am not purchasing these things off the internet as they told me not to, and they are right in a sense. 

Even after more than 20 people recommending me here Ryzen 5 1600, I am still not sure as to what CPU will benefit me in the near future. I will tell you about a bad experience my friend experienced. His AMD motherboard fried up or something and he sent it to claim the warranty. The guy said they will replace it with a new motherboard. But the motherboard arrived some 2-3 weeks later because there is not much demand for AMD products here in India. 8-10 people here use Intel. That's what they guy said to him, the one who built his computer. Now, I am a fanboy of neither. If I were to go with Intel, I would not have asked this question in the first place. And if I had something against AMD, I still wouldn't have this question.

Now you get a clear picture of why I am confused? 

Also, I can do with intel CPU taking 2-3 minute longer to render. But I can not do with a Ryzen giving me stuttering and poor performance in games. Cause poor performance in games will ruin my experience and joy. However, I can wait for some extra minutes for a CPU to render. Now I think I made the picture more clear. Will you go for a chip that is giving you poor frames but great rendering times? As It turns out, I need it for both. If I wanted a rendering CPU, I will be stupid to go with i5. if I wanted a gaming CPU, I would be stupid to go with Ryzen 5. But what if I want and need both?

I've read every post in the thread, some more than once, though most of your pictures say I do not have permission to view them.

The 1600 does not give bad frame times. The GPU might, but if you are talking medium settings 1080p 30FPS, you are more than safe. You will spend more at the market, that is a given. The reason more people use Intel in India is the availability. It has nothing to do with performance. There are more used Intels on the market. They buy cheaper chips and sell them over market price. I doubt there are many 7700k's floating around India. Why? Because they could not make a profit on them, and there are very few used available to refurbish and sell as new. Same with 6700's. They buy chips that do not sell well in the US and sell them there. If it's the best you can get, well, that's what you get.

For a country that has so many tech savvy people, it is amazing the ignorance shown when it comes to AMD products. It is almost like an Intel propaganda campaign comes through on regular intervals to promote "Superiority". I have an Intel chip in this cpu. You would have to toss a 1080ti in a stock 1600 for it to bottleneck your graphics. The 7500 is NOT going to game better than a 1600 at stock with a 1050ti. You will probably get 45-65 fps in most newer games at medium settings with a 1080p monitor or TV with an HDMI port (yes, you can plug it into your TV.

What is this UPS you keep saying you have to buy?

2 minutes ago, crzyces said:

I've read every post in the thread, some more than once, though most of your pictures say I do not have permission to view them.

The 1600 does not give bad frame times. The GPU might, but if you are talking medium settings 1080p 30FPS, you are more than safe. You will spend more at the market, that is a given. The reason more people use Intel in India is the availability. It has nothing to do with performance. There are more used Intels on the market. They buy cheaper chips and sell them over market price. I doubt there are many 7700k's floating around India. Why? Because they could not make a profit on them, and there are very few used available to refurbish and sell as new. Same with 6700's. They buy chips that do not sell well in the US and sell them there. If it's the best you can get, well, that's what you get.

For a country that has so many tech savvy people, it is amazing the ignorance shown when it comes to AMD products. It is almost like an Intel propaganda campaign comes through on regular intervals to promote "Superiority". I have an Intel chip in this cpu. You would have to toss a 1080ti in a stock 1600 for it to bottleneck your graphics. The 7500 is NOT going to game better than a 1600 at stock with a 1050ti. You will probably get 45-65 fps in most newer games at medium settings with a 1080p monitor or TV with an HDMI port (yes, you can plug it into your TV.

I take that back. Why do you need a UPS? Does the power go out a lot there? Are there consistent power surges? Will you be running a server?

20 minutes ago, crzyces said:

Question:

What is the better choice for a cpu?

Ryzen 1600 non X

Better Board B350 if in budget (btw, you may not be interested in overclocking, but you may be in the near future, especially with your RAM if you want to save money and stay with 2133 but get it up to 2400+. As for the CPU, the

Gigabyte boards IMO has the easiest to navigate and is the simplest to overclock on. It is free performance, turning $200 cpu's into $300 cpu's). Asus is also very easy to navigate.

GPUIf you are playing at 1080p and medium or better graphics an rx 570 or 1050ti would be fine (rx 570 4/8 gig recommended, if the 1060 6 gb or rx 580 4/8 gb are close enough in your budget then I would choose those. You may get far more than expected, but that is a good thing). If you go rx 570, rx 580, or 1060 6gb, buy the cheapest model. They all have their cooling worked out, so don't worry about "This card runs too hot" regarding brand, that was resolved with the extra connectors and cooling.

RAM: Use what you have, buy what you can. If you buy more RAM, get whatever, RAM will run at the speed of the slowest stick, so they are normally compatible. You can always raise the speed easily, and there are plenty of videos in your language to walk you through it. You are a smart kid, I can tell by your English skills, I have a feeling after a couple of weeks you are going to want to OC. Call it an educated hunch.

More about OC: "I have a 1600 that I can make game like an overclocked 7600K and render almost as fast as a $1000 6900! All I have to do is change the numbers in 6 boxes?" That's really all a basic low OC is. You don't have to start at 4.2 and work down. Type 38 in the 6 multiplier boxes, save the profile, and it now runs at 3.8 which should be perfectly stable with the cooler, without changing the voltage. If not, go back to the boxes and type in 37.5. Watch the vids first if you do get the OC bug.

Case: Pick the least expensive one that has what you want (ie. front usb 3.0, headphone jack...all pretty standard, though the jack isn't really a necessity).

PSU: Take total est tpd (total power draw, not to be confused with tdp, which deals with thermals), add 150%, pick the cheapest from the tier list (tiers 1-3)

Keyboard and Mouse: If you can find and old PC anywhere, use that and save the $25 bucks. When you are on a budget, the keyboard really isn't a big deal, nor is the mouse. I'm typing on a Keyboard from a PC that originally had Windows 98 on it. Heh, it was Logitech's first ergonomic usb keyboard I believe. Almost 20 years old. It works fine, though I have had to pop and clean the keys a few times over the years.

Hard Drive: A basic 1 or 2 terabyte sata drive should be fine to start with. You can add an ssd, m.2, whatever after the fact.

You don't need an optical drive normally anymore, but I still include them myself, as I don't always stream movies, I have so many old games on DvD, and, well, it's one old fashioned thing I like to have in my builds. You can probably get 1 very cheap (like $5-$10 usd for a bu-ray player/cd/dvdrw) off ebay.

If you are not re-using Windows that you already have, buy it from Kinguin and save $100+ usd.

If you can squeeze all that into your budget, I would rate it a 9 or so for an all new parts PC except RAM, and possibly keyboard and mouse.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the explanations. A lot of people have helped me here, but this kind of answer is what I needed. I thank you again.

Now coming to the specifics:

CPU: Done. Ryzen 5 1600

Motherboard: Done. If not available, I would then have to go with Intel i5 :( what else can I do?

RAM: I will see if the seller would sell me a higher frequency RAM at around the same price. If he will, I will probably get 2 8GB 2400 MHz RAM. I need at least 16 GB for rendering.

GPU: Cannot go above 1050 ti. This is the best bet for me. The 3GB GTX 1060 costs Rs.9000-10000 more. That's around $150. I cannot choose any AMD GPU, no matter how good it might be. Blender doesn't support AMD GPUs. :( 

Case: You are right.

PSU: I went with the cheapest one and the one recommended by JohnnyGuru.:)

Keyboard and Mouse: you are right here. But I have no old computer. My friends have new computer :) So I will have to buy them two things. I have an HP mouse, but the middle scroll button doesn't work. In Blender, that's one hell of an important button. So I will have to buy a good mouse. 

Optical Drive: Again you are right here.

Windows: I have windows 10 64bit Home edition genuine. I mean I have associated the key to my Microsoft account. All I need to do is plug the USB, install it, login with my Microsoft account and ta da.

About the OC: I thought about it and you are right. I might OC later, but not till a year or so. I will have a better understanding of my machine by then and might save some money by then to buy some cooling solution. 

HDD: Again you are right here.

19 minutes ago, crzyces said:

Even I cannot see some posts, they say the same thing. Dunno what happened there. 

Since you are online, I can ask you this question: logic tells us that 1600 will outperform 1400. Now if we keep this video in mind, we can safely say the 1600 will give better framerates? Or is there something else I am missing here apart from the frequency of RAM the guy used?

I am surprised too by the fact that AMD is so ignorant when it comes to India. 

I will be a darn idiot to think that you don't know what a UPS is. But here in India, there is fluctuations in power supply and power outage--especially at night. That's why it is important for me to get a UPS. I don't want to brick my Motherboard :D

26 minutes ago, crzyces said:

I've read every post in the thread, some more than once

That shows your integrity. And this is by all odds a good thing :)

Just now, Folktale said:

Even I cannot see some posts, they say the same thing. Dunno what happened there. 

Since you are online, I can ask you this question: logic tells us that 1600 will outperform 1400. Now if we keep this video in mind, we can safely say the 1600 will give better framerates? Or is there something else I am missing here apart from the frequency of RAM the guy used?

I am surprised too by the fact that AMD is so ignorant when it comes to India. 

I will be a darn idiot to think that you don't know what a UPS is. But here in India, there is fluctuations in power supply and power outage--especially at night. That's why it is important for me to get a UPS. I don't want to brick my Motherboard :D

I just posted a link to a 1600 (non x) with a 1050) almost all high setting, population density and other sliders a3/4 and the framerates are at lowest 65 and at highest over 100.

2 minutes ago, crzyces said:

I just posted a link to a 1600 (non x) with a 1050) almost all high setting, population density and other sliders a3/4 and the framerates are at lowest 65 and at highest over 100.

But this shows 14 games. You can watch it in your free time if you would like to. 

3 minutes ago, crzyces said:

Again, 30 FPS is enough in gaming if I am not into competitiveness or online. I think 30FPS is enough. And if we go by logic. 1600 will give me more frames than 1400 with the same GPU. Right?

16 minutes ago, Folktale said:

Again, 30 FPS is enough in gaming if I am not into competitiveness or online. I think 30FPS is enough. And if we go by logic. 1600 will give me more frames than 1400 with the same GPU. Right?

Slightly, but barely noticeable UNLESS it is a CPU intense game that is un-optimized (Mafia III, Watch Dogs 2; put a 7700k and a Titan Xp in and you still have issues). Just like the i5 750, in most games right now you will see little to no difference. Once you start getting into 1440p 144 refresh rates (so games where you want over 60fps, as a display can only show up to it's refresh rate; lol, there is a stroke of logic!) then you may notice. The thing is, the 7500 is going to start bottlenecking games soon, regardless of gpu because of it's cores. The 1400 would probably still be the better buy because of the extra 8 threads. That's the 4 core non hyperthread/smt problem. If the cores are not there, you are screwed. People are getting bottlenecked on older intel 4 threads now running over 4.3 with higher end cards. Like a 3570k oc'd to 4.5 may only be 10% slower in 4 thread than 7700k clocked at 4.5, all of a sudden they get a gtx 1080 and go to run at 1440p, their gpu is at 70%, there CPU is at 100 on all threads, and they are getting 35 FPS on medium when the 3770K at 4.5 (same chip, 4 more threads) is getting 65 FPS.

4 cores total for an upgrade now= a very bad investment. Very bad. A 3770K will run circles around a 7500.

Edited by crzyces
I am not saying to get a 3770k, as it's ddr3, finding boards with PCIex16 3.0, usb 3.0, thunderbolt i/o, and an M.2 is a chore), but you get the point.