disappointed from Noctua

Tiwaz

So today I replaced the stock nzxt fans on my nzxt x61 AIO with Noctua NF-P14 1500 rpm static pressure fans, before i had the nzxt ones as pull and the noctua ones are now push (thought that might be better). on 900 rpm speed the noctuas are definitely louder and perform the same. On max speed the noctuas give me 37°C liquid temp on aida64 on 1500rpm and the nzxt ones on max speed, 2000 rpm, give me 35°C and the noctuas are  the same noise. This is really sad, cuz all noctua users said they were the quietest.

I just wanted to make this post cuz i felt i need to address this issue so you make a better choice when it comes to fans

yours,

Tiwaz

they are not the most quiet, but they are normally better performers. 

generally, pull configuration is better, only because of dust buildup in push configurations.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

~Moved to Air Cooling.

Well you did get a pretty old model in the NF-P14. These days the NF-F12 and NF-A14 are their latest fans and even those are like 3 years old now. Even then there's a lot of hype around noctua and while they're up there they definitely don't dominate the market performance wise. They do have amazing customer support though.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

~Moved to Air Cooling.

Well you did get a pretty old model in the NF-P14. These days the NF-F12 and NF-A14 are their latest fans and even those are like 3 years old now. Even then there's a lot of hype around noctua and while they're up there they definitely don't dominate the market performance wise. They do have amazing customer support though.

didnt say that on the website, they said that its the best for radiators on the website or static pressure

2 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

didnt say that on the website, they said that its the best for radiators on the website or static pressure

Where does it say it's the best? Also, product pages often go unupdated after the products release.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

RPM is arbitrary. NF-P14S are easily more quiet than the stock FX V2's if you lower the rpm more.

NF-P14S' aren't that quiet at 900rpm. Most people find them very quiet at <600rpm. I personally prefer them <450 rpm if possible.

NF-P14S also aren't as optimal a dense rad like the x61 as the newer NF-A14. They're better suited in areas that need a good amount of static pressure like a slightly restrictive front panel or a rad with a looser fin array.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, Energycore said:

~Moved to Air Cooling.

What would be a good silent/good preforming fan at the $25 range then?

9 minutes ago, Lethalmonk said:

What would be a good silent/good preforming fan at the $25 range then?

Don't pay $25 for a single fan lol

Well, I've seen NF-F12s go for $18 sometimes. But there are good alternatives that cost $15 like the Fractal Design Venturi HP-12 and HP-14. I'd say the NF-F12 is competitive, but not way over the competition. See if you can get some EK vardars for around that pric.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

RPM is arbitrary. NF-P14S are easily more quiet than the stock FX V2's if you lower the rpm more.

NF-P14S' aren't that quiet at 900rpm. Most people find them very quiet at <600rpm. I personally prefer them <450 rpm if possible.

NF-P14S also aren't as optimal a dense rad like the x61 as the newer NF-A14. They're better suited in areas that need a good amount of static pressure like a slightly restrictive front panel or a rad with a looser fin array.

i am forced on 800-900 rpm by the nzxt cam software sadly, i got the 1500rpm variant, not the 2000, because i thought 30% of the 1500rpm would result in lower speed, but its doesnt. Though i will awlays have to keep some rpm going since they are the only intakes i have, i dont want my rear and top fan to push out more air than they can get in. Though maybe in a year i might get a very good case. The NZXT s340 just doesnt really cut it for, but its good for the money. About 8 months i build my bro a pc with a friend and the slighty cheaper corsair carbide 200r was much nicer to build in and it looks better ;)

Maybe there are some good in win cases with tempered glass for not too expensive that you could have a look at :)

26 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

If you want quiet and good performance look at Noiseblocker 

whats that exactly, vibration moutns?

meh the noctua fan you chose isnt that great, shoulda went with the nf-p12 model. Thats the best all rounder fan noctua offers.

26 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

No, the quietest fans you can get for the performance they offer. I had mine on a custom loop, at 1400rpm and could not hear anything. Case was be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900.

Link to fans I used: http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/products/noiseblocker-it-fans/nb-blacksilent-pro-series/120x120x25mm.php

There are all sorts of sizes, also Eloops are another interesting design of theirs.

ETCXB5ih.jpg

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

On 5/4/2017 at 7:21 AM, iiNNeX said:

-snip-

never heard of this company, are you sure that they are better than the corsair fans? or thermaltake riing?

On 5/4/2017 at 7:21 AM, iiNNeX said:

No, the quietest fans you can get for the performance they offer. I had mine on a custom loop, at 1400rpm and could not hear anything. Case was be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900.

Link to fans I used: http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/products/noiseblocker-it-fans/nb-blacksilent-pro-series/120x120x25mm.php

There are all sorts of sizes, also Eloops are another interesting design of theirs.

also what kind of cooling setup do you have? cpu and gpu wise, what radiator and what temps? just curious ;)

1 minute ago, Tiwaz said:

never heard of this company, are you sure that they are better than the corsair fans? or thermaltake riing?

Thermaltake makes garbage, and Corsair fans aren't that amazing -- just expensive. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, Bcat00 said:

meh the noctua fan you chose isnt that great, shoulda went with the nf-p12 model. Thats the best all rounder fan noctua offers.

what are you talking about? I have the nf-p14, the nf-p12 a re the same only in120mm, i cant use a 120mm fan on a 280mm, well icould, but that would be hella stupid

6 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

i am forced on 800-900 rpm by the nzxt cam software sadly, i got the 1500rpm variant, not the 2000, because i thought 30% of the 1500rpm would result in lower speed, but its doesnt. Though i will awlays have to keep some rpm going since they are the only intakes i have, i dont want my rear and top fan to push out more air than they can get in. Though maybe in a year i might get a very good case. The NZXT s340 just doesnt really cut it for, but its good for the money. About 8 months i build my bro a pc with a friend and the slighty cheaper corsair carbide 200r was much nicer to build in and it looks better ;)

Maybe there are some good in win cases with tempered glass for not too expensive that you could have a look at :)

Why use CAM software and what header are you powering the fan off of? The NF-P14S should be able to go down to ~450rpm.

What don't you like the S340? I see as a superior case to the 200R other than having less airflow due to less openings and having a front dust filter

4 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

They're rubber accessories that dampen the vibrations that might otherwise resonate with the case.

4 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

What's not great about it? The NF-P14S is the 140mm variant of the NF-P12. Smaller fans are more efficient but 120mm fans on a 280mm rad wouldn't perform as well.

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Thermaltake makes garbage, and Corsair fans aren't that amazing -- just expensive. 

If you're referring to Thermaltake fans, I wouldn't call Riings garbage. They're alright and provide a unique aesthetic.

I agree that Corsair fans aren't amazing from a performance/acoustics standpoint but they also provide a unique aesthetic. In a time where RGB fans are just getting popular, I wouldn't consider any contribution to the roster worthless.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

18 hours ago, Energycore said:

Don't pay $25 for a single fan lol

Well, I've seen NF-F12s go for $18 sometimes. But there are good alternatives that cost $15 like the Fractal Design Venturi HP-12 and HP-14. I'd say the NF-F12 is competitive, but not way over the competition. See if you can get some EK vardars for around that pric.

Lol ik, i was gonna wait for a sale. I have 2 loud xtraflow fans by CM, a CM stock 212 evo fan and a cheap other one. I am looking for a good fan thats pretty quiet

28 minutes ago, Lethalmonk said:

Lol ik, i was gonna wait for a sale. I have 2 loud xtraflow fans by CM, a CM stock 212 evo fan and a cheap other one. I am looking for a good fan thats pretty quiet

For quiet fans, Corsair AF120 Quiet (non-LED) are pretty good, but they're not great pressure so don't use them for heatsinks. And for pressure my faves are the ones from Fractal Design

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, Energycore said:

For quiet fans, Corsair AF120 Quiet (non-LED) are pretty good, but they're not great pressure so don't use them for heatsinks. And for pressure my faves are the ones from Fractal Design

are the silent wings 3 any good?

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Why use CAM software and what header are you powering the fan off of? The NF-P14S should be able to go down to ~450rpm.

What don't you like the S340? I see as a superior case to the 200R other than having less airflow due to less openings and having a front dust filter

13 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

i am forced on 800-900 rpm by the nzxt cam software sadly, i got the 1500rpm variant, not the 2000, because i thought 30% of the 1500rpm would result in lower speed, but its doesnt.

Have you looked at using one of Noctua's Low Noise Adapters?  I wonder if the LNA would drop the RPM enough to get it into the 450 RPM range or at least make it quieter/slower...

1 hour ago, Lethalmonk said:

Yeah they're also good

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, WMGroomAK said:

Have you looked at using one of Noctua's Low Noise Adapters?  I wonder if the LNA would drop the RPM enough to get it into the 450 RPM range or at least make it quieter/slower...

The included LNA is useful if you're not controlling the fans already but don't get the rpm that low. If you want to lower rpm as much as possible, us your motherboard and fan settings.

2 hours ago, Lethalmonk said:

Yes, they're among the best of the best. There's no need to replace your current fans unless you're not satisfied with them though.

11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The included LNA is useful if you're not controlling the fans already but don't get the rpm that low. If you want to lower rpm as much as possible, us your motherboard and fan settings.

Yes, they're among the best of the best. There's no need to replace your current fans unless you're not satisfied with them though.

please list the best 3 (3 different manufacturers) static pressure/radiator fans you know that are pretty quiet below 900 rpm

5 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

please list the best 3 (3 different manufacturers) static pressure/radiator fans you know that are pretty quiet below 900 rpm

Why 900rpm? --rpm is arbitrary. I personally haven't found any fans quiet enough at 900rpm.

The optimal fan also depends on the rad in question. The x61 has a pretty dense fin array and requires more static pressure than another rad with low fpi would.

NF-P14S' aren't the best but they're very quiet. Just lower the speed instead of having it at some arbitrary rpm.