My college just sent me my need to buy list. HELP!

So on my to buy list is a laptop that can run heavy cad programs and rendering software. They suggested an I7 with 8Gb of ram and a dedicated graphics card. Could I find that in a non gaming laptop or would looking at gaming laptops help me here?

A smile goes much farther than the person it's meant for.

First impressions are important, it sets the stage for respect.

"If you don't know every word you don't know it!"- SGM McCray

Budget? And do you plan on doing anything other than the CAD work on it?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

2 minutes ago, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

So on my to buy list is a laptop that can run heavy cad programs and rendering software. They suggested an I7 with 8Gb of ram and a dedicated graphics card. Could I find that in a non gaming laptop or would looking at gaming laptops help me here?

You could build an extreme sfx pc or wait until AM4 mini itx realses

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Budget is what I can make over the summer. Probably around the $1000 usd mark.

I would get a gaming laptop for CAD. The non gaming i7s are only dual core and really do not compare to desktop performance. Also not having a dGPU will be a disability.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

That a little hard to work with but we can do it

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

I suggest something from the dell precision line as they are business oriented and built like tanks. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 minute ago, Billy_Mays said:

And carry a monitor around so it can be used in lectures/workshops?

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

It needs to be a laptop. I already have a beast desktop. I already asked if I really needed a laptop and they said it's unavoidable unless I'm fine with D's

2 minutes ago, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

It needs to be a laptop. I already have a beast desktop. I already asked if I really needed a laptop and they said it's unavoidable unless I'm fine with D's

ummmm, that doesn't sound right. Usually you aren't penalized for not being able to afford something. 

I would honestly suggest not buying it until you actually need it for some assignment, because it doesn't make any sense that they would basically force you to buy one if you wanted to do well. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np6852-clevo-n850hk1.html

After that if you really want a GTX 1060, they are usually just above $1000 though, think I seen an asus one for $1050.

EDIT: Here is similar laptop with 17.3" screen http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np6872-clevo-n870hk1.html

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

ummmm, that doesn't sound right. Usually you aren't penalized for not being able to afford something. 

They might be doing in-class work where it would be incredibly convenient to have a laptop.

paraphrasing. They told me it would be an extreme challenge if I didn't. AKA will probs fail.

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

They might be doing in-class work where it would be incredibly convenient to have a laptop.

I've still never heard of a class where they wouldn't hold a class like that in a lab for people who can't afford to spend a thousand dollars on a laptop. 

paraphrasing. They told me it would be an extreme challenge if I didn't. AKA will probs fail.

I figured, but it still doesn't sound right. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

take a look at the dell inspiron 7567

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop

you can pick up the 7700hq + 1050ti model w/ 8gb of RAM for 940 dollars

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

I've still never heard of a class where they wouldn't hold a class like that in a lab for people who can't afford to spend a thousand dollars on a laptop. 

Actually the one I linked was $880 :)

Some places will allow you to make payments on the laptop, yeah it is still $880 and likely more if you pay in payments but they already are paying a fuck ton of money (unless a ton of scholarships ect) to go to the Uni. Some degrees are far different from others. 

See it this way... they expect you to spend thousands of dollars on books either way, had one professor where our books were $500 for a PC repair class. First day he asked for anyone who bought the books to raise there hand, then told them to give them back and buy something nice lol

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Actually the one I linked was $880 :)

Some places will allow you to make payments on the laptop, yeah it is still $880 and likely more if you pay in payments but they already are paying a fuck ton of money (unless a ton of scholarships ect) to go to the Uni. Some degrees are far different from others. 

See it this way... they expect you to spend thousands of dollars on books either way, had one professor where our books were $500 for a PC repair class. First day he asked for anyone who bought the books to raise there hand, then told them to give them back and buy something nice lol

Thats why I'm not buying the books until after the first day. Amazon is great.

Thats why I'm not buying the books until after the first day. Amazon is great.

One of my old professors said to buy an older version of the book used and save $100s. He always had the book upfront for anyone who needed pictures of diagrams and would usually provide them online

So someones gonna flame me for this but sager is cheap but thick and heavy.

https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP5855.html

has a payment plan and a 7700HQ

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

I suspect you'll only find a dedicated GPU in gaming laptops, and workstation laptops.  Did they not tell you which one to look into specifically?  I would assume a workstation laptop would make more sense, given your description of intended purpose.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

40 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Then again whatever college I know would provide decent HP/Dell computers with some locked i7 to do these tasks. Might not be convenient but I would use those to save the money and study at home using the desktop.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Build a desktop and use a shitty laptop on the go.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

58 minutes ago, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

Oh, you might wanna look at the Xeon and Quadro offerings, as some CAD work can't be GPU accelerated unless it has a quadro, and only Xeon laptop CPUs really get used with mobile quadro cards now. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Oh, you might wanna look at the Xeon and Quadro offerings, as some CAD work can't be GPU accelerated unless it has a quadro, and only Xeon laptop CPUs really get used with mobile quadro cards now. 

would be complete overkill for a Student. also the low end quadro's are terrible value for money where most of the 960/970m's actually flatten the ones in the same price bracket, Yes the big quadro's are epic but the low end ones are not that powerful at all and more often grabbing a decent midrange geforce is on par with it, Also its students work, mate of mine makes it as a professional on a old i7 HQ and 860m and he's doing insane Mining projects on pressure piping projects in solidworks & CAD. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Just now, Not_Sean said:

would be complete overkill for a Student. also the low end quadro's are terrible value for money where most of the 960/970m's actually flatten the ones in the same price bracket, Yes the big quadro's are epic but the low end ones are not that powerful at all and more often grabbing a decent midrange geforce is on par with it, Also its students work, mate of mine makes it as a professional on a old i7 HQ and 860m and he's doing insane Mining projects on pressure piping projects in solidworks & CAD. 

A lot of the software's won't run on non validated hardware, so often it's not worth the headaches to buy consumer stuff, I have an i7 4710HQ and GTX 860m (Maxwell), they're pretty lack luster really. 

Yours faithfully