Anyone know when the 6/12 gb 780 ti's will come out?

Knickerbocker

As hyped and excited I was for the 780ti, which is a brilliant card, I still need that extra vRAM to run it in 4k. Back to the titans (780ti's are getting thrown in my 144hz build). I wouldn't have dished out 2100 (not from my own pocket :) ) if I knew i would've been bottlenecked with memory. Oh well...life goes on  <_<

I've been hearing word of the "black" or "ghz" edition, but this is what I got:

http://videocardz.com/47530/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-ti-also-special-edition

I dunno how they can pull off an unlimited TDP, unless it's some marketing ploy. Regardless, if this info is true, this thing is going to be lightning fast (image the overclocks you can get when you add three in a water loop  :o )

I guess I'm still going to be waiting.... 

ಠ_ಠ

As hyped and excited I was for the 780ti, which is a brilliant card, I still need that extra vRAM to run it in 4k. Back to the titans (780ti's are getting thrown in my 144hz build). I wouldn't have dished out 2100 (not from my own pocket :) ) if I knew i would've been bottlenecked with memory. Oh well...life goes on  <_<

I've been hearing word of the "black" or "ghz" edition, but this is what I got:

http://videocardz.com/47530/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-ti-also-special-edition

I dunno how they can pull off an unlimited TDP, unless it's some marketing ploy. Regardless, if this info is true, this thing is going to be lightning fast (image the overclocks you can get when you add three in a water loop  :o )

I guess I'm still going to be waiting.... 

ಠ_ಠ

If you have that much money (dual flagship card and 4K res) why aren't you running crossfire R9 290X water cooled (or even arctic extreme)? they would crush any nvidia card at 4k...

If you have that much money (dual flagship card and 4K res) why aren't you running crossfire R9 290X water cooled (or even arctic extreme)? they would crush any nvidia card at 4k...

Not 6GB 780ti's which is what he's waiting for

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

Are you rich?

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Are you rich?

If you mean rich by having lots of money? Then no. 

a. The company I work for is partnered with tech companies (such as EVGA) so I get some pretty great discounts

b. Prior to going to college I saved up lots of money. Instead I made the right decision to study abroad and pay little to no money for education (the way it should be).

c. Everyone spends money on their hobbies. 

Don't expect any 6gb/12gb Ti cards to be released.

Gah, and I was so excited too. 

I fucked up.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Please never say "if you have that much money" again. Secondly, 4GB sometimes won't cut it. When you crank up the resolution, it's not linear. 5760x1080 doesn't 'need' three times as much vRAM as 1080p, but 4 definitely needs more than 4 times of the memory bus. It seems that a higher memory bandwith won't cut it, at least until no. 4K is still in testing waters, and even though it's easier for developers to integrate a wider image (such as 5760x1080) the incentive to engineer super high density gaming (AKA 4K) to current gpus. 

Two 6GB 780Tis will shit on 2 R9-290Xes. A single 780Ti is better than a 7990 and near a GTX 690 in terms of performance, and since 4K is 4x 1080p, it will consume 4GB FAST.

the timing was brilliant xD. being 4 times more pixels certainly does not mean 4 times the power needed. 

I fucked up.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

the timing was brilliant xD. being 4 times more pixels certainly does not mean 4 times the power needed.

I mean, I'm not saying it will consume 4X VRAM, but it will consume much more. Seeing as current games like BF4 consume around 3GB VRAM at 1080p, I wouldn't be surprised if 4K textures would consume 5-7GB. I know it's a lot, but probably true.

What's funny is BF4 consumes a max of only 3gb of vram in 1080p but from what I've been playing; it hasn't been hitting more than 3.2 gb max on 5760x1080; which is very, very interesting...of course maybe that added memory bandwidth is helping 

Two 6GB 780Tis will shit on 2 R9-290Xes. A single 780Ti is better than a 7990 and near a GTX 690 in terms of performance, and since 4K is 4x 1080p, it will consume 4GB FAST.

This is complete crap; sorry to say. A 780ti is nowhere near as powerful as a 7990, and a 7990 is more powerful than a 690 so I think you are confusing cards. Also memory usage does not scale that way...

I mean, I'm not saying it will consume 4X VRAM, but it will consume much more. Seeing as current games like BF4 consume around 3GB VRAM at 1080p, I wouldn't be surprised if 4K textures would consume 5-7GB. I know it's a lot, but probably true.

BF4 does not need 3GB of VRAM at 1080p, the developers simply recommend it because it uses a large amount which can be more than more than 2GB based on the card and res you are using. So they recommend 3GB. At 2560 x 1440 my R9-280X never uses above 2.6GB in BF4, however, like OP said, his card uses "a max of 3GB" whilst only in 1080p, which is only 75% of 2560 x 1440, so it uses 25% more VRAM for 25% less resolution? Yes, it does. The more VRAM you have, the more it will use, regardless of how much it actually needs; similar to how an OS will utilise more RAM if you have more. This does not mean that the game NEEDS that allocated VRAM, and the performance benefit you gain from such "buffer RAM use" is INCREDIBLY small. We are talking maybe 5ms extra frametime spread across 20000 frames or something incredibly insignifiant like that (thats about 1/100th FPS).
At the current moment in time 4GB is enough for games at 4K easily, since memory usage does not scale linearly. It is largely based on the game, after a certain threshold the rate at which the memory usage increases with the resolution drops off severely; due to base texture resolutions and such.

At higher resolutions a higher bit memory bus (512 on the R9 290(X) vs the 384 on the 780TI) and memory clock speed is much more important than simply adding more VRAM that wouldn't be used in an effective way.

This is complete crap; sorry to say. A 780ti is nowhere near as powerful as a 7990, and a 7990 is more powerful than a 690 so I think you are confusing cards. Also memory usage does not scale that way...

BF4 does not need 3GB of VRAM at 1080p, the developers simply recommend it because it uses a large amount which can be more than more than 2GB based on the card and res you are using. So they recommend 3GB. At 2560 x 1440 my R9-280X never uses above 2.6GB in BF4, however, like OP said, his card uses "a max of 3GB" whilst only in 1080p, which is only 75% of 2560 x 1440, so it uses 25% more VRAM for 25% less resolution? Yes, it does. The more VRAM you have, the more it will use, regardless of how much it actually needs; similar to how an OS will utilise more RAM if you have more. This does not mean that the game NEEDS that allocated VRAM, and the performance benefit you gain from such "buffer RAM use" is INCREDIBLY small. We are talking maybe 5ms extra frametime spread across 20000 frames or something incredibly insignifiant like that (thats about 1/100th FPS).
At the current moment in time 4GB is enough for games at 4K easily, since memory usage does not scale linearly. It is largely based on the game, after a certain threshold the rate at which the memory usage increases with the resolution drops off severely; due to base texture resolutions and such.

At higher resolutions a higher bit memory bus (512 on the R9 290(X) vs the 384 on the 780TI) and memory clock speed is much more important than simply adding more VRAM that wouldn't be used in an effective way.

I should have clarified. The 780Ti is more powerful than a 7990 in some cases, including in benchmarks.

aafd018b3c04bb43b0c857e8ec5a3865.png

3a8501df539e9c54bd0a6adc1c486b4e.png

Here are two cases of such. Although most of the time, the 7990 is within the margin of error but ahead nonetheless. I fucked up by saying what I did, and my Nvidia fanboy-ness is shining through. I apologize However, I feel that Nvidia has more compelling features. Shadowplay, Game Streaming to the Shield/Tegra Note, 3D support, better drivers, and they unarguably have a vastly better stock cooler than AMD. But, AMD has always handled memory bandwidth better, they have always made their cards a more compelling deal with predominantly lower prices, free games and promotional deals. But, their cards seem to run hotter (stock coolers now, not aftermarket), their partners left the terrible coolers on the R9 280X from the 7970 with the exception of XFX, ASUS, and MSI, and the largest thing to me? They didn't immediately let the OEMs make a better cooler for the unarguably hot R9 290 and 290X. At least the 780 released with stock and aftermarket coolers side by side. What's strange though is that Nvidia's reference cards are more expensive than the aftermarket.

I apologize for the idiotic rant that you just had to read, as I messed up. I was wrong.

I don't really think the 780Ti is any faster than Titan to be honest.  Maybe 5% at the most but it will be bottlenecked by its memory buffer at 4K resolutions while Titan isn't.  I don't think Nvidia will release a 6GB 780Ti as they consider the Titan to be that card.  Now the AIB's will be able to design and sell non-reference 780Ti's with however much VRAM they wish but as to when you will see them, that';s anybody's guess....

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Please never say "if you have that much money" again. Secondly, 4GB sometimes won't cut it. When you crank up the resolution, it's not linear. 5760x1080 doesn't 'need' three times as much vRAM as 1080p, but 4 definitely needs more than 4 times of the memory bus. It seems that a higher memory bandwith won't cut it, at least until no. 4K is still in testing waters, and even though it's easier for developers to integrate a wider image (such as 5760x1080) the incentive to engineer super high density gaming (AKA 4K) to current gpus. 

I'm not entirely sure what you mean(I tried reading your post, and it made no sense to me). FIrst off, the 290x should beat even the 780ti on 4k. The 512bit bus will really help and 4gb's isn't going to hold you back for a while even on 4k. Second, developers don't get to choose to optimize for what resolutions. No idea what you meant there. A 5760x1080 isn't optimized by the developers any more than other resolutions.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

I'm not entirely sure what you mean(I tried reading your post, and it made no sense to me). FIrst off, the 290x should beat even the 780ti on 4k. The 512bit bus will really help and 4gb's isn't going to hold you back for a while even on 4k. Second, developers don't get to choose to optimize for what resolutions. No idea what you meant there. A 5760x1080 isn't optimized by the developers any more than other resolutions.

you literally gave me cancer

videocardz is always the first to say "here it comes a 8970 next month"...six month later videocardz is the last site to put the official specs of 280x 

also they put stuff like firepro design as it was the 8970

Dont know when but from what ive read about it, they should come out eventually.

And for some people a 780TI IS faster than an R9 290x if OC'ed and is defo more quiet/cool but more expensive.

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

you literally gave me cancer

You know your original post was wrong and incomprehensible but have nothing to say except a stupid overused meme

You know your original post was wrong and incomprehensible but have nothing to say except a stupid overused meme

no...if my post was wrong i would think that would be cool cause I would learn something new. If you honestly don't think games are optimized for resolutions then you need to go out and study. You're the reason why people hate fanboys. 

no...if my post was wrong i would think that would be cool cause I would learn something new. If you honestly don't think games are optimized for resolutions then you need to go out and study. You're the reason why people hate fanboys. 

lol. Please tell me how a game can be optimized for a resolution to run better. You realize that the reason that the fps for a game running at 4k  is less than 4 times less than 1080p isn't because they're "optimized for 4k", but because resolution doesn't decide the fps entirely. And how am I a fanboy? I have a 780 in my OWN rig? lol

Sorry to say, both of the loose-cannons arguing in this thread:

Answer the OP's damn question. You two have devolved into partaking into something that is disgusting, and shouldn't be here on the LTT forums.

Name calling, cherrypicking, baseless extrapolation.

Who gives a damn if A > B > C or C > A > B, jeebus crust.

"Answer the question!"

-Bill O'Reilly 

<< Yo buddy, still posting? >>

INTEL I7-3770K @ 4.5 GHz | ASUS P8Z77-V | EVGA NVIDIA GTX 780 ACX 

F-15C EAGLE | ADFX-02 MORGAN