Which Radeon is equivalent performance to a GTX 980? And what's currently the best Value Radeon for Gaming?

GuruMeditationError
Go to solution Solved by GuruMeditationError,

Okay...calling it...

...Waiting for VEGA, going to upgrade my CPU to a used i7 when I buy the new graphics card and keeping my existing budget gaming board so as to crossfire on it in about two to three years time.

...Massive thanks to everyone that posted. :):):) 

Which Radaon is equivalent to a GTX 980?

And what's currently the best value Radeon for Gaming at 1080p?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

1 minute ago, Spenser1337 said:

Rx 580 or 390x

And what exactly are you answering here? he asked two questions, you'll need to tell him which one you're answering.

Just now, Sack said:

And what exactly are you answering here? he asked two questions, you'll need to tell him which one you're answering.

Those 2 are the closest in performance to the 980. 

Value is subjective, he will decide which has the best value in the end.

2 minutes ago, Sack said:

What would you say would be the best answer (to the original question)? I'm interested in as many opinions as people will post. ;) 

Those 2 are the closest in performance to the 980. 

Value is subjective, he will decide which has the best value in the end.

Thanks...just looking at the benchmarks now.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

1 minute ago, GuruMeditationError said:

What would you say would be the best answer (to the original question)? I'm interested in as many opinions as people will post. ;) 

You'll have to get a 390x used if you want one.

Just now, Spenser1337 said:

You'll have to get a 390x used if you want one.

It's okay...I'm used to the used market.

I'm thinking it might be worth switching to Radeons so that I can stick with my existing motherboard (it's crossfire only).

Just now, GuruMeditationError said:

It's okay...I'm used to the used market.

I'm thinking it might be worth switching to Radeons so that I can stick with my existing motherboard (it's crossfire only).

I'd stay away from crossfire, but that's just me.

Why's that? Not as reliable?

[edit...] Checking these out:

http://lifehacker.com/the-difference-between-nvidia-sli-and-amd-crossfire-1555235577

Wait for VEGA for the "best radeon"

the card on the 980 level should be the 390x / rx580

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

2 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Well it's always better to have a single powerful card rather than 2 'alright' ones.

SLI/Crossfire can be a huge pain, and some games don't scale with it.

Speaking from experience.

[edit...] Checking these out:

http://lifehacker.com/the-difference-between-nvidia-sli-and-amd-crossfire-1555235577

No, sli and crossfire don't scale properly to a lot of games and the performance doesn't warrant the price. Just my opinion though, I'd opt for a more powerful single gpu any day 

15 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

GTX 980= RX 580/480

Best bang for buck gpu (regards of which team): RX 470/570 4gb

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Wait for VEGA for the "best radeon"

the card on the 980 level should be the 390x / rx580

Thanks...if I migrate to Radeon I almost certainly will wait for VEGA. 

1 minute ago, MVPernula said:

Well it's always better to have a single powerful card rather than 2 'alright' ones.

SLI/Crossfire can be a huge pain, and some games don't scale with it.

Speaking from experience.

No, sli and crossfire don't scale properly to a lot of games and the performance doesn't warrant the price. Just my opinion though, I'd opt for a more powerful single gpu any day 

I just can't imagine I'm not going to get to a point where I'm just wanting to throw a second card into my machine to increase lifespan. It just occurred to me that Crossfire might be a more cost effective alternative to SLI

best value card would be the R9 Fury and closest in preformance to a 980 would be the RX580 or R9 390x which both preform worse then the fury(as long as VRAM isnt a problem and you are not running DX12 or Vulcan)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, GuruMeditationError said:

Thanks...if I migrate to Radeon I almost certainly will wait for VEGA. 

I just can't imagine I'm not going to get to a point where I'm just wanting to throw a second card into my machine to increase lifespan. It just occurred to me that Crossfire might be a more cost effective alternative to SLI

It is probably cheaper. Once Vega launches it may be a more viable option but I feel that crossfire/sli just isn't worth the hassle.

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

best value card would be the R9 Fury and closest in preformance to a 980 would be the RX580 or R9 390x which both preform worse then the fury(as long as VRAM isnt a problem and you are not running DX12 or Vulcan)

Thanks...I've only ever used nVidia...it seems like I might have some research to do.

Generally it's better to sell your old card and buy something new. There are of course some exceptions, but as a general rule, a single card is always the better choice.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

It is probably cheaper. Once Vega launches it may be a more viable option but I feel that crossfire/sli just isn't worth the hassle.

That's always been a deterrent for me but in practice, if my board would support a second 970 I'd probably definitely go that route at this point just for the cost to performance benefit...I'm not at a point on the upgrade curve where it's going to make sense for me just to sell the 970 on and roll the money into a more expensive purchase...

...I'm thinking Radeon may be the way to go since most budget gaming boards support it and, at a push (and not that I would) you can mix and match different chip-sets with crossfire (or at least you could the last time I checked).

15 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Unfortunetly I'm not very well versed in AMD hardware, nor have I tested an AMD system, so I'd like to see the answer myself.

IIRC the r9 390x was slightly slower than the gtx 980 in older reviews while the r9 fury was slightly faster. the RX 580 should be similar/slightly faster in performance. the RX 480 would be the best value amd GPU for 1080p IMO, usually cheaper than the 580 for now but you can overclock it to match the 580.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

IIRC the r9 390x was slightly slower than the gtx 980 in older reviews while the r9 fury was slightly faster. the RX 580 should be similar/slightly faster in performance. the RX 480 would be the best value amd GPU for 1080p IMO, usually cheaper than the 580 for now but you can overclock it to match the 580.

R9 390x is faster nowadays, look up one of the rematch videos. Same with the 390/970

23 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

The answer to both questions is R9 390X. Its no performance monster of any sort, but still performs admirably. Especially once you considering that you can get one off Ebay for about 200$.

2 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

R9 390x is faster nowadays, look up one of the rematch videos. Same with the 390/970

link?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W