Which Radeon is equivalent performance to a GTX 980? And what's currently the best Value Radeon for Gaming?

GuruMeditationError
Go to solution Solved by GuruMeditationError,

Okay...calling it...

...Waiting for VEGA, going to upgrade my CPU to a used i7 when I buy the new graphics card and keeping my existing budget gaming board so as to crossfire on it in about two to three years time.

...Massive thanks to everyone that posted. :):):) 

Just now, Spenser1337 said:

Mate the fury would bust a thick nut all over the 970

Are you sure...I looked at a couple of benchmarks and it looks like the 970's ahead.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

6 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

Mate the fury would bust a thick nut all over the 970

Yeah...it does beat out the 970, I wasn't looking at the gaming benchmarks, I was looking at videocardbenchmark.net

Seems it might be worth the money after all.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

18 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Yeah...it does beat out the 970, I wasn't looking at the gaming benchmarks, I was looking at videocardbenchmark.net

Seems it might be worth the money after all.

Never use benchmark sites like, they're all ass. 

In regards to Passmark (i.e. videocardbenchmark.net), it heavily favors Nvidia's architecture. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

A fury is FAR ahead of a 970; a fury is ahead of a 980. 

Yeah...I see that...I was looking in the wrong places:

a single set of Crisis 3 benchmarks: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/R9_Fury_Strix/15.html 

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+R9+Fury+%2B+Fury+X&id=3245

1 minute ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Yeah...I see that...I was looking in the wrong places...a Crisis 3 benchmark: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/R9_Fury_Strix/15.html & http://www.videocardbenchmark.net

You have to be careful with videocardbenchmark.net, passmark heavily favors Nvidia's architecture.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

You have to be careful with videocardbenchmark.net, passmark heavily favors Nvidia's architecture.

From those readings it does seem to look like that...I'll be sure to be more thorough in future...that could have sent me in completely the wrong direction (sensitive dependence on initial conditions etc.)

I'll have to run some searches in the used market and check out their benchmarks more thoroughly.