My PC is underperforming!

likeabog

My PC had been running fine since I built in November, 2016, but just a week ago it stopped posting. I ended up resetting the BIOS and fixing that issue, but now a bigger issue came to be:

My PC just doesn't seemed to be running as it did before the no-post situation.

I get 40-60 FPS max on GTA V Max Settings (80-100 before the no-post)

I get 100 FPS max on CS:GO with occasional frame stutters (it used to stick to 144 before the no-post)

On Spotify, I noticed that if I move my mouse around really fast, it seems to get really slow or freeze up unless I stop moving my cursor.

I made sure that my CPU wasn't throttling, and it wasn't.

It maintained its normal 4.0-4.2 ghz clock speed. Temperatures also seemed to be normal.

I have no clue what's going on and would appreciate any advice given. Thanks in advance.

Specs (let me know if you need anything else)

CPU: i7 6700K

GPU: GTX 1070

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 x 2 32 GB RAM

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2

Edit: My friend advised me to downgrade my graphics driver but had no affect on the performance.

Just now, Alaradia said:

dude thats a hail mary not the first thing to try.......................

True, true. But seriously, there are hundreds of steps to fix it, or back up your stuff  and reinstall.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

dude thats a hail mary not the first thing to try.......................

sometimes it really is. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

True, true. But seriously, there are hundreds of steps to fix it, or back up your stuff  and reinstall.

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

sometimes it really is. 

all reinstalling windows really does is gets rid of bloat programs you don't need anymore and hopefully kills what ever program or config that was giving you issue. or you can just hunt down what's fucking with you and remove its the lazy way of solving and you learn nothing

Just now, Alaradia said:

all reinstalling windows really does is gets rid of bloat programs you don't need anymore and hopefully kills what ever program or config that was giving you issue. or you can just hunt down what's fucking with you and remove its the lazy way of solving and you learn nothing

It takes less time, so I usually go with that.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

2 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

it's quicker, stops you possibly destroying system files and fucking your system up. and is just easy and sorts out config-related issues 

idk

4 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

Sometimes it's best to reinstall though. That way you can be 100% sure it's a software issue if everything is working fine after the reinstall. It also saves a lot of time with faffing around trying to look for a fix.

So you just shut the computer down, and it wouldn't post afterwards, or were you experiencing crashes? What was your OC before you reset your bios?

It's possible that some component of Windows has become corrupted. For whatever reason, by default, Windows likes to store important things in volatile memory, so if you ever crash, there's a good chance something has become corrupted. You could probably affirm that with a DPC latency test.

As per your OC, I'm just curious as the the circumstances. Was this a previously stable OC that suddenly refused to post? Have you tried overclocking again?

Also, with the prospect of reinstalling the OS...I agree that it's faster in some cases. W10 takes like what... 20 minutes to install? It won't help hardware issues much though, and sometimes the base configuration of the OS and the drivers can be the wrong configuration which ultimately means you'll end up having to tweak crap anyways.

1 minute ago, SageOfSpice said:

So you just shut the computer down, and it wouldn't post afterwards, or were you experiencing crashes? What was your OC before you reset your bios?

It's possible that some component of Windows has become corrupted. For whatever reason, by default, Windows likes to store important things in volatile memory, so if you ever crash, there's a good chance something has become corrupted. You could probably affirm that with a DPC latency test.

As per your OC, I'm just curious as the the circumstances. Was this a previously stable OC that suddenly refused to post? Have you tried overclocking again?

Also, with the prospect of reinstalling the OS...I agree that it's faster in some cases. W10 takes like what... 20 minutes to install? It won't help hardware issues much though, and sometimes the base configuration of the OS and the drivers can be the wrong configuration which ultimately means you'll end up having to tweak crap anyways.

It wouldn't start up at all and it got into a boot loop of I had the MOBO switched to DualBIOS and if I had it to Single, it would power on but nothing would show on the screen.

I forgot to mention that I had never OC'd it before the no-post, and also that I reinstalled W10 after resetting the BIOS because it wouldn't boot in even though my boot drive was at the top of the boot order.

I would seek counseling or, if you'd prefer, a little blue pill that enhances "performance". Therapy for you and the computer is important for getting past all the anxiety. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Try to disable Game DVR, Game Bar and Game Mode if you are using W10

Just now, WereCat said:

Try to disable Game DVR, Game Bar and Game Mode if you are using W10

I already disabled Game DVR and Game Bar. Can you tell me how to turn off Game Mode?

Just now, likeabog said:

I already disabled Game DVR and Game Bar. Can you tell me how to turn off Game Mode?

If you dont have Creators update you wont have it, it is there somewhere with the Game DVR and Game Bar. I am on phone right now so I can't tell you exactly where.

7 minutes ago, likeabog said:

Check your hard drive and memory (I assume you already did the re-seating everything through the basic trouble shooting). Heck, do a /scannow. I know you just built it last year, but your hd may be on the way out,saving crap at shutdown and screwing things up. Just check. I'm probably wrong, but humor me.

cmd as admin

sfc /scannow

hit enter

If you just reinstalled Windows there should be zero errors if your drives and memory are all good.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

3 hours ago, Droidbot said:

it's quicker, stops you possibly destroying system files and fucking your system up. and is just easy and sorts out config-related issues 

if you destroy system files you can just wait for it Reinstall or just back up what you fuck with

Just now, Alaradia said:

if you destroy system files you can just wait for it Reinstall

but why not just reinstall in the first place?

i know it's a radical idea for you, but hear me out - in enterprise they don't bother actually diagnosing software issues due to the amount of time it takes - most stuff can be easily solved by reinstalling the OS from a disk image. saves time, and it just works. 

idk

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

but why not just reinstall in the first place?

i know it's a radical idea for you, but hear me out - in enterprise they don't bother actually diagnosing software issues due to the amount of time it takes - most stuff can be easily solved by reinstalling the OS from a disk image. saves time, and it just works. 

reinstalling does not always fix the issue it's better to take a minute and try to diagnose the issue first tends to save time in the long run as well and reinstalling tends to take at least 10 minutes and even longer if your not on a ssd and since most people don't have a image with everything they want installed installed the then have to do that. when most of the time you can fix it in less time and the more you do it the faster you get. this isn't the enterprise reinstall is probably used in the enterprise since it doesn't take any effort not because its fast

3 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

reinstalling does not always fix the issue it's better to take a minute and try to diagnose the issue first tends to save time in the long run as well and reinstalling tends to take at least 10 minutes and even longer if your not on a ssd and since most people don't have a image with everything they want installed installed the then have to do that. when most of the time you can fix it in less time and the more you do it the faster you get. this isn't the enterprise reinstall is probably used in the enterprise since it doesn't take any effort not because its fast

while I don't agree that it's the first thing to do, in most cases it solves problems. then again, I re-image every 6 months and usually from a fresh Win10 ISO

idk

16 hours ago, crzyces said:

Check your hard drive and memory (I assume you already did the re-seating everything through the basic trouble shooting). Heck, do a /scannow. I know you just built it last year, but your hd may be on the way out,saving crap at shutdown and screwing things up. Just check. I'm probably wrong, but humor me.

cmd as admin

sfc /scannow

hit enter

If you just reinstalled Windows there should be zero errors if your drives and memory are all good.

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

18 hours ago, likeabog said:

It wouldn't start up at all and it got into a boot loop of I had the MOBO switched to DualBIOS and if I had it to Single, it would power on but nothing would show on the screen.

I forgot to mention that I had never OC'd it before the no-post, and also that I reinstalled W10 after resetting the BIOS because it wouldn't boot in even though my boot drive was at the top of the boot order.

Yeah, that's curious. I doubt this is a software issue then, chances are that it's a hardware issue. 

I guess it's time to do some stress testing. I'd go and run a stress test on the CPU, and GPU separately through OCCT. Check memory with memtest86. Reflashing the bios might not be a bad move either, but I'd run these tests first.