Next iteration of uTorrent to be Web Based

WMGroomAK

I use a very old version of uTorrent - without ads, or any bloat. What's the point in updating a torrent client to a newer version that, at its core is the same, but with tons of unneeded or unwanted excess?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 hours ago, Aphexis said:

Forum rules state no piracy talk, yet plenty of users here pirate.

Maybe put an /s after this statement... ;)  While torrents can be used for piracy of copyrighted materials, that is not their sole use as other users have pointed out concerning things like Linux Distros.  This is one of the issues with most technology and inventions in that they can be used for legal, legally grey and illegal uses very easily.

So, it's better to have a browser up all the time than to have a standalone lightweight desktop application because who cares about system resources, right?

I get that they are doing it for ads but let's not pretend that everything is better if it's web based.

Switched to qBittorrent long time ago and as some of the previous posts already said, it is good.

3 hours ago, ADM-Ntek said:

and what if i turn my browser off? i usually do that while gaming because i have lots of tabs open and need the ram. but uTorent i can keep running because if its low requirements integrating it into the browser is retarded.

3 minutes ago, Mister Snow said:

So, it's better to have a browser up all the time than to have a standalone lightweight desktop application because who cares about system resources, right?

I get that they are doing it for ads but let's not pretend that everything is better if it's web based.

Switched to qBittorrent long time ago and as some of the previous posts already said, it is good.

I am curious as to how this will all work out with the potential for Windows to begin throttling power states for background tasks and chrome also looking at throttling resources for background tabs...  Let's say you are running uTorrent now in a background tab of a Chrome instance while also running YouTube or some other Music streaming service in a separate tab while you play your game, will uTorrent now be so throttled back as to not be running?  

this will not end well for the people that decide to use this. it will be much easier to track people now.

2 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

I am curious as to how this will all work out with the potential for Windows to begin throttling power states for background tasks and chrome also looking at throttling resources for background tabs...  Let's say you are running uTorrent now in a background tab of a Chrome instance while also running YouTube or some other Music streaming service in a separate tab while you play your game, will uTorrent now be so throttled back as to not be running?  

I'd assume it works how other daemon based torrent clients work, like how LAwLz described.

That is, you run the actual uTorrent client like a normal program and it sits in the background with no UI.

Then you use whichever browser you want and connect to localhost and some port, and you get a UI.

Chrome settings don't matter, since chrome only sees the UI, not the actual daemon running in the background.

For an easier (and bad) analogy, if a tab of the LTT forum goes to sleep in chrome, does the server of the forum go to sleep?

Well no, only your look at LTT does, the server carries on as normal.

Same thing here, except the server is a torrent server not a web server, and is running on your local machine.

I've used daemon based torrent clients before (Transmission and Deluge) as well as desktop ones (QBitTorrent and a transmission UI).

I find the web based ones quicker to interact with for most things, if only because I've already got chrome open. I click my bookmark and it loads the UI and thats it.

That said, the ones I used were open source and because of that there were no ads etc.

This is being done to do ads easier, or  the article makes it sound like that at least.

It'll be interesting. I'd think that its actually harder to do ads in a web based client than a desktop one.

Everyone already has an ad blocker usually, not everyone will bother to run an old version of uTorrent or edit registry keys or something to remove ads from the desktop client.

In the end, I'm not swapping to it so it won't end up affecting me.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4