needed help with my program i wrote

yesterday I wrote a program and it worked! until I executed it today.. it say : An error occurred while executing the file. please help note: I wrote it using visual basic 6.0 it an notepad program.

myapp.exe

Mac user here, could you reply to this thread with the code and not just the executable.

On 4/23/2017 at 0:15 PM, Mr.Cunt said:

dont learn visual basic... its crap. C# maybile? 

This is very subjective to your use case. Visual Basic is a great language to learn and is used is a vast portion of the programming work. While I agree that learning C# is perhaps "more utility" there is nothing bad about learning VB.

"Talk is cheap. Show me the code."

13 minutes ago, LegionOfOne said:

This is very subjective to your use case. Visual Basic is a great language to learn and is used is a vast portion of the programming work. While I agree that learning C# is perhaps "more utility" there is nothing bad about learning VB.

VB.net maybe, but even then that isn't very in demand right now. OP is talking about vb 6, which hasn't been supported for almost a decade.

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

2 minutes ago, reniat said:

VB.net maybe, but even then that isn't very in demand right now. OP is talking about vb 6, which hasn't been supported for almost a decade.

Oh I think that we most certainly don't disagree. I use VBScript all the time at work for automation however but in full disclosure I must admit it is to automate a VERY antiquated system and VB.net would be by comparison much better. However it's important to realize that OP also uploaded an unverified .exe and stated that it was from following a tutorial written 16 years ago lol. 

I guess my recommendation would be simply to drop that project wholecloth and start working on something a touch more relevant unless there is a specific reason to learn something that antiquated.

"Talk is cheap. Show me the code."

Visual Basic 6 is a nice programming language to learn the basics (data types, variables, working with windows objects like text boxes , menu items and so on, but it's no longer supported on modern operating systems and it's only available in 32bit version which has some limitations.

If you'll want your application to run on various modern operating systems, you'd have to include the runtime (at least one DLL file that's about 1.5 MB in size) .. here's the installer that installs the runtime (that important DLL and a few other optional files) onto a computer : http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_visual_basic_runtime.html

If you create an application in C# or vb .net or some other .net language, pretty much all Windows operating systems have on or several  .Net versions or runtime preinstalled from the start, which means that if your application doesn't use features that only exist in a very new version of .Net , you can build the final .exe file to require only an older .Net version that exists on almost all computers, so you don't have to include a runtime with your application.

In very new operating systems like Windows 10, you may even find out that your Visual Basic 6 application won't work or won't be allowed to work, because that DLL file that is required by your application to work uses some "hacks" and quirks that more modern operating systems don't like (for security, virus protection reasons mostly)

So yeah, if you want to learn the basics, experiment with Visual Basic 6 and various examples, but as soon as you get the basics try to move to C# (I'd say ignore VB.net as well) - you'll find more examples and tutorials in C# and it's fairly easy to understand the differences when you move from one language to another.

10 hours ago, mariushm said:

So yeah, if you want to learn the basics, experiment with Visual Basic 6 and various examples, but as soon as you get the basics try to move to C#

Why not just cut bait and move straight to C# since he's already beginning to experience the issues of using unsupported technology?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I think you are better off getting an ide to program in, such as visual studio. VB is a good intro language in my opinion and it taught me a lot. 

Also, we need to see your code, so post it here ;)