Is it time to upgrade? And what to?

So I'm running a 4670K OC'd to 4.0 GHz on an ASRock Z87 Extreme4. It's got a GTX 1060 (yes, I understand the bottlenecking going on there, just stay with me) and 16GB of DDR3 memory. All air cooled. The system was originally built about 3.5 years ago. 

One of the the things I hve been doing a lot on my computer is streaming. As a relatively new PC gamer, I still play a lot of games on console. Right now, one of the problems I'm running into is that when I stream my console games through my computer to YouTube Live, my computer crashes. I've tried bringing the OC down and still get the same result, but never get that result when playing games or running synthetic benchmarks. So is it time to upgrade?

And if I upgrade, is it late enough to look into a Ryzen build or am I going to be ironing out bugs for a while? Should I stick with Intel? Budget is VERY TIGHT right now, so maybe I just need a better cooler? Maybe an AIO water cooler? I never happen to see the temps before the computer crashes, unfortunately so I can't say for certain that's the problem. 

Any help is appreciated guys. 

crashes sound more software related than anything. you may be looking at drivers or a new windows install.

your system shoudnt be encountering any major "bottlenecks"

i honestly dont see any reason for you to upgrade unless you REALLY want to, especially if your budget is tight.

look into software fixes

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

If you only get crashing with one software, its that software, not hardware. And if thats your only issue, I don't see any reason to upgrade. GPU is fine for year or two.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

In my opinion if you want to stream, a ryzen build is a good choice. Even the 1600 is a good choice. If you can, go for the 1700 at least, it will give you enough threads so that you can give the stream enough power and have enough for the game too.

Essentially for steamers, Ryzen is a REALLY good choice.

Since a lot of people seem to agree that the problem is software-related and upgrading isn't necessary yet, let me explain my streaming setup with a little more detail:

My console goes through a splitter to the monitor and an AV.io 4K to the computer. I'm using OBS in Windows 10 to stream. I am also using a Logitech 922x webcam through the same software. I monitor chat with a popout chat window through Chrome on a separate monitor. I am streaming to YouTube at 1080p with plenty of bandwidth (not in front of the computer right now, but I think it's set to 3500?). 

What kinds of things can I do to try to find a solution? The computer crashes after streaming for no more than an hour, but I've seen it go as little as 10 mins. 

4 hours ago, ucrbuffalo said:

What kinds of things can I do to try to find a solution? The computer crashes after streaming for no more than an hour, but I've seen it go as little as 10 mins. 

What kind of crash it is? BSOD? Straight boot? Black screen? Does it happen if you lower streaming settings?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

What kind of crash it is? BSOD? Straight boot? Black screen? Does it happen if you lower streaming settings?

BSOD. I'll test tonight and figure out what the specific code is. 

Update: During the current testing, my CPU is getting about 50% load at max (usually closer to the 30-40 range) and the temps are staying in the 50's for the most part.  The highest I've seen was 64 for a split second.  I'm using CAM to monitor the temps.  Been testing for about 45 minutes and no issues yet.  I cannot for the life of me figure out why it is so unstable! One time it works great, another it drops out almost instantly...

This test left the stream settings the same so I can see what's going on in closer detail.

Ok got it to crash under the regular circumstances. Last night I went for over an hour, no problem.  This time, I was online for about 15 minutes when it crashed.  The temperatures looked like they were at normal levels, but the BSOD code said "Stop code: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER".  Aside from a quick Google search, I know nothing about this code.  The first one I found referred to a malicious user trying to gain access??  Not finding a whole lot else from 3 minutes on the web.  Any ideas?

15 hours ago, ucrbuffalo said:

Ok got it to crash under the regular circumstances. Last night I went for over an hour, no problem.  This time, I was online for about 15 minutes when it crashed.  The temperatures looked like they were at normal levels, but the BSOD code said "Stop code: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER".  Aside from a quick Google search, I know nothing about this code.  The first one I found referred to a malicious user trying to gain access??  Not finding a whole lot else from 3 minutes on the web.  Any ideas?

First of all sorry. I looked this at morning quickly and totally forgot afterwards.

At this point I could say its not issue with hardware performance. It might be bad HDD/SSD which I doubt because you would other issues too. It could be RAM issue, but that would cause other issues as well (most of the time at least).

I found these this site with some suggestions:

http://www.solvusoft.com/en/errors/blue-screen-errors/microsoft-corporation/windows-operating-system/bug-check-0xf7-driver-overran-stack-buffer/

This too has some hints http://windowsreport.com/driver-overran-stack-buffer-windows-10/

I would also recommend you make new topic to Troubleshooting area. Including system info and that BSOD error code. Plus upload mini dump file. Guys who frequent there know much more about fixing BSOD issues than me.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv