How long will a windows 10 education edition license last?

Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,
Just now, tlink said:

how do they check? i mean my mother is a student too and she's in her 60's lol.

Most of Microsoft students licenses are bundle to your agreement with the college/school, when you graduate the institution tells Microsoft and they lock the license. Now this is what should happen in theory, not always what actually happens in real life as Microsoft might just "shrug" especially if its an outdated software and leave you be.

I googled a little bit but i can't really find an answer. the education edition of windows 10 was free for me but i just use it for home use (is this even allowed in the contract?), i know they used to give away windows 7 etc at huge discounts for students so you get bound to their platform and ecosystem. but with windows 10 rolling upgrades that doesn't make sense since i don't get any ads or anything annoying since its essentially enterprise edition. how do they make money on people like me if this will be their last OS? (they said it was their last os right?) that makes me wonder how long my license will last, is there a limit on those?

5 minutes ago, tlink said:

I googled a little bit but i can't really find an answer. the education edition of windows 10 was free for me but i just use it for home use (is this even allowed in the contract?), i know they used to give away windows 7 etc at huge discounts for students so you get bound to their platform and ecosystem. but with windows 10 rolling upgrades that doesn't make sense since i don't get any ads or anything annoying since its essentially enterprise edition. how do they make money on people like me if this will be their last OS? (they said it was their last os right?) that makes me wonder how long my license will last, is there a limit on those?

I got mine 2 years ago and is still working.

As long as you're a student

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Got a couple of windows 7 licenses like that which I received 7 years ago. Still working and I'm long done with that education.

Think MS just likes the indoctrination. You get free OS. You use it and it becomes your preferred OS hence you will influence others to use that OS.

a ripple effect that cost them nothing and could net them more 

11 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

As long as you're a student

Just now, tlink said:

Most of Microsoft students licenses are bundle to your agreement with the college/school, when you graduate the institution tells Microsoft and they lock the license. Now this is what should happen in theory, not always what actually happens in real life as Microsoft might just "shrug" especially if its an outdated software and leave you be.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Got a couple of windows 7 licenses like that which I received 7 years ago. Still working and I'm long done with that education.

Think MS just likes the indoctrination. You get free OS. You use it and it becomes your preferred OS hence you will influence others to use that OS.

a ripple effect that cost them nothing and could net them more 

hmm could very well be that yes, before i could imagine it just being bound to their brand and interface but maybe that's it yea. but at some point education edition should outpace home and pro edition then because everybody is a student at some point.

Just now, tlink said:

hmm could very well be that yes, before i could imagine it just being bound to their brand and interface but maybe that's it yea. but at some point education edition should outpace home and pro edition then because everybody is a student at some point.

Oh... I got it mixed yup. I got 3 windows 7 pro licenses for free through my education. Not the student version

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

lol schools are way to underfunded to deal with that shit. over here we don't even acquire the license trough school but trough a website where you can select your school from a drop down menu from literally every school in the country. im pretty sad my education edition won't last forever since its the best version next to enterprise edition of course but i don't think i can buy enterprise edition as an individual, right?

1 minute ago, NoobCase said:

Btw the meta data MS collects on you with win 10 is your price. Nothing in life is free 

yea i know, but with education edition you can disable all that shit because its basically enterprise edition. if they did that in enterprise edition their high end clients would drop them because good luck trying to sell an operating system that does industrial espionage. i also monitor my data closely. i plan to run it from a VM eventually so i get even easier control.

Just now, tlink said:

i don't think i can buy enterprise edition as an individual, right?

Not "legally" since it is target exclusively to big port companies, but out of experience you really can just go with Windows 10 Pro and personalize it to be/feel the way you want it to be like.

My Windows 10 Pro for instance I made it act like Win 7:

Spoiler

BXg1lVX.jpg

Personal Desktop":

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Not "legally" since it is target exclusively to big port companies, but out of experience you really can just go with Windows 10 Pro and personalize it to be/feel the way you want it to be like.

My Windows 10 Pro for instance I made it act like Win 7:

Hide contents

BXg1lVX.jpg

i would miss a lot of features, it would essentially be a downgrade. the only thing i don't have with education edition is cortana but fuck her.

https://wincom.blob.core.windows.net/documents/Win10CompareTable_FY17.pdf

1 minute ago, tlink said:

i would miss a lot of features, it would essentially be a downgrade. the only thing i don't have with education edition is cortana but fuck her.

https://wincom.blob.core.windows.net/documents/Win10CompareTable_FY17.pdf

How weird, is that chart actually up-to-date? My Win10 has all the features that are present there as far as I am concerned:

Spoiler

ZtrahWU.png

Personal Desktop":

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

How weird, is that chart actually up-to-date? My Win10 has all the features that are present there as far as I am concerned:

Hide contents

ZtrahWU.png

huh thats really weird, it should be up to date but maybe its not.. maybe you can't launch the programs? what an odd situation. you get the link for comparing here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/default.aspx

23 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

aye or sometimes the institution "forgets"/forgets to tell microsoft meaning your stuck with it for ever and ever, which is such a shame :P

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

11 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

aye or sometimes the institution "forgets"/forgets to tell microsoft meaning your stuck with it for ever and ever, which is such a shame :P

such a shameeeeeeeeeeeeeee :P

14 minutes ago, tlink said:

such a shameeeeeeeeeeeeeee :P

I know, I mean it's a a real shame :P

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more