Residential Internet Problems, please help me!

stormoconnor

Hey everyone,

I have a Rogers Ignite package that provides speeds up to: 250mbps download and 20mbps upload. My speedtest vary, but that is not my problem.

Basically, my devices when connected to the WiFi are very temperamental, this is unique to my internet only as I have tested. One minute I am using the internet without issues streaming 4k content, the next every page I attempt to load hangs and does nothing, if I can get a video to even load it will only play in 144p and that's after a good thirty seconds of buffering. This happens on every device periodically, it will randomly happen and occurs multiple times per day. I have tried getting help from Rogers customer support, however all they seem to offer is restarting the router which obviously isn't working.

When these hangs occur, I also got significant hanging and load times when trying to access the router control panel too.

Sometimes I can switch from the 2.4ghz SSID, to the 5ghz one and it will work for a minute and then the same will occur and switching back doesn't work.

Please help me, I'm just a residential user, tech enthusiast. By no means a professional. I just want to watch LTT without these complications!

Does Rogers Ignite or whoever your ISP provide you with a modem and/or router?

What wireless router do you currently have?

7 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Does Rogers Ignite or whoever your ISP provide you with a modem and/or router?

What wireless router do you currently have?

Hey its a Hitron CODA-4582 router provided by Rogers and I believe it is acting as both modem and router

4 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

Does your neighbour hate you.  They might be jamming the signal.....  ;-)

I sure hope not, the FCC wouldn't be too impressed if they were ;-)

Can you go in and configure any of the settings of that router? AKA typing 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in an address bar?

Some basic things to do since your wifi is the only thing acting up is:

-Change your wireless name (SSID)

-Hide the SSID

-Reconfigure your wireless devices to the new SSID

-PASSWORD PROTECT YOUR WIFI if you aren't already

This prevents your neighbors from attempting to use your connection, and if this doesn't work... Even after unplugging and plugging your router back in, I would call your ISP and tell them it's a faulty device and as a paying customer you need a replacement to get 100% what you're paying for or be reimbursed for the time the wifi hasn't been working.

There's not much else at the moment I can do w/o actually being there and seeing things for myself.

3 hours ago, stormoconnor said:

FCC wouldn't be too impressed

Sorry to burst your bubble. But the FCC is an US Federal Agency. Last I knew they cant enforce laws in Canada. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Sorry to burst your bubble. But the FCC is an US Federal Agency. Last I knew they cant enforce laws in Canada. 

Ah, good point. The Canadian government then, as they do enforce laws against this.

What about the source, the signal into the modem, and the signal into the modem over time?

Do you have access to a 'read out' of your modemsignals?

This link is the same for every ISP, this is from comcast the specs of the signal to a docsis 3 modem: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16085

looks very technical, If you can't work it out, printscreen the signals, if you can't read them out, call your ISP again and have them readout the modemsignals by someone qualified other then to say 'have you tried turning it off and on again'