Looking to upgrade my GPU

MajSpork
Go to solution Solved by RadiatingLight,

For $500 - Low End GTX 1080, although this is way overkill unless you're going to be running games on both monitors, or your monitors are 1440p or more

For $379ish - GTX 1070, This card crushes 1080p gaming. you will be able to run all games on max settings 1080p 60fps, with very few exceptions

For $230ish - RX 580 8GB, this card is ideal for 1080p gaming. it's not going to run everything on ultra 60fps, but it does pretty good, and it's an incredible value for money.

I wouldn't recommend a GTX 1080, simply because it's overkill, and not a great value for money.

the 1070 is a perfect card for you, it seems, because it's well within your budget and preforms great.

the 580 8GB will still run the games you want on high settings smoothly, but it will have a shorter lifespan. you might need to replace it in 2 years to get better performance. however, because it's so cheap (compared to the others), you can use the money you saved by not getting a 1070 today to get a midrange card in 2-3 years, which will outclass any of your options today.

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU from the Sapphire R9 280X I'm currently using.

I'm a gamer, at the moment the games I'm playing most are ARK: Survival Evolved, World of Warcraft, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Payday 2 and Dark Souls 3.

I have a dual monitor setup which I'm currently running with one on HDMI and one on DVI since my graphics card only has one HDMI port. I'd like it if the card I upgrade to has two HDMI ports but it's not required. I generally use one screen for the game and the other for my chat clients and internet browsers.

My Budget is $500 though I'd prefer to spend less.

I'd like to pick up a card that I won't need to replace for at least 3 years and I am willing to wait to upgrade if there is something in the pipeline that will be more worth buying.

Also I'm not super attached to AMD cards, I'd be willing to switch to Nvidia if they have better options

I'm also looking to upgrade my ram to 16 gigs if anyone knows a good set offhand that aren't too expensive.

My color scheme for my computer is black and red.

Here are my system's Specs.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k Quad Core 3.5GHz
Motherboard: MSI Gaming Z97

RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 RAM
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100363L Radeon R9 280X 3GB (Upgrading)
PSU: Rosewill CAPSTONE-750-M 750W 
Storage: 1TB Seagate drive and 1TB WD Black drive
Case: Zalman Z11Plus High Performance
Coolermaster CPU cooler.

Please let me know if I've left out any information and I thank you all for your time in advance.

GTX 1070 or wait for vega. RX 580/GTX 1060 are plenty if you just run 1080p/60.

Issue with the 1070 is that i don't know if it will last 3 years, it's already almost a year old and Nvidia cards don't exactly age very well...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

GTX1070

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Cheap GTX 1080.

For $500 - Low End GTX 1080, although this is way overkill unless you're going to be running games on both monitors, or your monitors are 1440p or more

For $379ish - GTX 1070, This card crushes 1080p gaming. you will be able to run all games on max settings 1080p 60fps, with very few exceptions

For $230ish - RX 580 8GB, this card is ideal for 1080p gaming. it's not going to run everything on ultra 60fps, but it does pretty good, and it's an incredible value for money.

I wouldn't recommend a GTX 1080, simply because it's overkill, and not a great value for money.

the 1070 is a perfect card for you, it seems, because it's well within your budget and preforms great.

the 580 8GB will still run the games you want on high settings smoothly, but it will have a shorter lifespan. you might need to replace it in 2 years to get better performance. however, because it's so cheap (compared to the others), you can use the money you saved by not getting a 1070 today to get a midrange card in 2-3 years, which will outclass any of your options today.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Get a 1070 or 1080

I suggest you get a GTX 1070 or rx 580 andupgrade the CPU to a 47xxK i7, best performance increase.

Cheapest good 1070

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4fyxFT/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-mini-video-card-zt-p10700g-10m

Cheapest good 1080

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4fyxFT/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-mini-video-card-zt-p10700g-10m

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

7 minutes ago, MajSpork said:

$500 though I'd prefer to spend less.

Your options are, (In order of power and what makes sense)

• GTX 1070 8GB
  • RX 580 8GB
  • GTX 1060 6GB
  • RX 570 4GB

Each of these will be upgrades from your current R9 280X and cost less than $500. 

I personally recommend the RX 580. Solid upgrade from your 280X for only $239. Who doesn't like not spending more than they need to?

could go on a nice date with the left over cash. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 minutes ago, MajSpork said:

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU from the Sapphire R9 280X I'm currently using.

I'm a gamer, at the moment the games I'm playing most are ARK: Survival Evolved, World of Warcraft, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Payday 2 and Dark Souls 3.

I have a dual monitor setup which I'm currently running with one on HDMI and one on DVI since my graphics card only has one HDMI port. I'd like it if the card I upgrade to has two HDMI ports but it's not required. I generally use one screen for the game and the other for my chat clients and internet browsers.

My Budget is $500 though I'd prefer to spend less.

I'd like to pick up a card that I won't need to replace for at least 3 years and I am willing to wait to upgrade if there is something in the pipeline that will be more worth buying.

Also I'm not super attached to AMD cards, I'd be willing to switch to Nvidia if they have better options

I'm also looking to upgrade my ram to 16 gigs if anyone knows a good set offhand that aren't too expensive.

My color scheme for my computer is black and red.

Here are my system's Specs.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k Quad Core 3.5GHz
Motherboard: MSI Gaming Z97

RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 RAM
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100363L Radeon R9 280X 3GB (Upgrading)
PSU: Rosewill CAPSTONE-750-M 750W 
Storage: 1TB Seagate drive and 1TB WD Black drive
Case: Zalman Z11Plus High Performance
Coolermaster CPU cooler.

Please let me know if I've left out any information and I thank you all for your time in advance.

wait is ur res. A rx580 will handle 1440p 60hz on high to ultra for 3 years. Specially when OCed. GTX 1070 will do the same but at ultra and for one more year. But as u wanna spend $500 go for GTX 1080. 4k 60Hz high. 1440 100hz ultra and 1080p 240hz will some weed at the same time xD 

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

I run games at 1080p to answer the questions about that.

Also I don't overclock, it's not something I feel knowledgeable enough about to try and I don't want to fry my hardware.

It's looking like the consensus is generally a 1070 or RX 580. I'm leaning towards the 1070 because I don't really mind spending the extra $100 for better performance.

3 minutes ago, MajSpork said:

I run games at 1080p to answer the questions about that.

Also I don't overclock, it's not something I feel knowledgeable enough about to try and I don't want to fry my hardware.

It's looking like the consensus is generally a 1070 or RX 580. I'm leaning towards the 1070 because I don't really mind spending the extra $100 for better performance.

u have $500. buy anyone u like.........or wait for vega till like june

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

11 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I suggest you get a GTX 1070 or rx 580 andupgrade the CPU to a 47xxK i7, best performance increase

It looks like trying to upgrade my GPU and CPU would put me above my budget regardless of combos as the cheapest i7 47xxK CPU I can find is $320ish

Just now, MajSpork said:

It looks like trying to upgrade my GPU and CPU would put me above my budget regardless of combos as the cheapest i7 47xxK CPU I can find is $320ish

Don't buy it new, 4th gen i7s sell for $150-250 depending on the model

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to go with the 1070

8 minutes ago, MajSpork said:

6 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Don't buy it new, 4th gen i7s sell for $150-250 depending on the model

Don't upgrade at all.

your CPU is still good enough for everything. plus, OP can overclock (It's safe as long as you know what safe temps and voltages are) and get even better performance.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Just now, MajSpork said:

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to go with the 1070

Yep. It's probably the best option for you.

like @Damascus said, this is the cheapest good 1070

Desktop:

Laptop:

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Don't upgrade at all.

your CPU is still good enough for everything. plus, OP can overclock (It's safe as long as you know what safe temps and voltages are) and get even better performance.

I know it's the wrong place but since you're here and obviously very knowledgeable do you have a recommendation for RAM? I'm looking to upgrade from 8 gigs to 16 or 32 gigs depending on prices and need and I'd rather not make a whole new topic in the RAM section since the answer is very likely simple and quick.

Edited by MajSpork

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Yep. It's probably the best option for you.

like @Damascus said, this is the cheapest good 1070

I was looking at this one as it is only $10 more and has 2 HDMI ports

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/fPFXsY/asus-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-dual-video-card-dual-gtx1070-o8g

5 minutes ago, MajSpork said:

I was looking at this one as it is only $10 more and has 2 HDMI ports

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/fPFXsY/asus-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-dual-video-card-dual-gtx1070-o8g

yeah that one's good too.

I forgot you need 2 HDMI ports, so if that feature is worth $10 to you, go for it.

Desktop:

Laptop:

6 minutes ago, MajSpork said:

I know it's the wrong place but since you're here and obviously very knowledgeable do you have a recommendation for RAM? I'm looking to upgrade from 8 gigs to 16 or 32 gigs depending on prices and need and I'd rather not make a whole new topic in the RAM section since the answer is very likely simple and quick.

What speed is your current RAM running at?

ideally, you would want the same model of RAM

if not, at least the same speed (and timings?) so there is no slowdown.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

What speed is your current RAM running at?

ideally, you would want the same model of RAM

if not, at least the same speed (and timings?) so there is no slowdown.

I'm not sure. Unfortunately I'm at work and my computer is at home so I don't have a way of checking until later tonight. Is there a way to check based on the model of RAM or do I need to be at my computer to test?

8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 RAM

1 minute ago, MajSpork said:

I'm not sure. Unfortunately I'm at work and my computer is at home so I don't have a way of checking until later tonight. Is there a way to check based on the model of RAM or do I need to be at my computer to test?

there is a way, but you need the specific model number, not just the general name.

anyway, you can just start a new thread once you get home. no biggie, this forum is really fast.

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

there is a way, but you need the specific model number, not just the general name.

anyway, you can just start a new thread once you get home. no biggie, this forum is really fast.

Alright, thank you so much for your help. I'll make a new thread tonight.

18 minutes ago, MajSpork said:

Alright, thank you so much for your help. I'll make a new thread tonight.

Quick note, 16gb is more than enough.  I had 32 but down graded because I never used more than 12ish gb

58 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Quick note, 16gb is more than enough.  I had 32 but down graded because I never used more than 12ish gb

agreed.

I upgraded from 16 to 24 because i was running a lot of virtual machines for a while, but after VMs got boring, I downgraded because i was never using more than 16, and sold my extra RAM.

Desktop:

Laptop: