what is a cpu upgrade from i5 6600k

what is a cpu upgrade from i5 6600k (4.2 ghz 24/7) + gtx 1070 and predator x34?

I play doom,bf1,need for speed hot persuite,2 shift unleashed,dirt 3,project cars (cpu demanding game)

bioshock infinite,borderlands the pre sequel and a few other games.

Is the i7 7700k the only real upgrade unless i play cpu demanding games and can afford a i7 6800k or 8 core ryzen.

I have heard and seen an i7 can have higher minimum fps (from alle the 100 of video's i have seen the last days)

and that Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands can max out a i5 6600k at 4.5ghz with a gtx 1070 (indicates some games gets cpu limied with a 15 6600k at 4ghz).

How about heat,i know from some reviews a experience that a  i7 can get alot hotter than a i5 because of ht

and i do want my noctua nh-d15 to be silent non audible or should i get a cpu cooler like the thermalright true spirit 140 power?

My case is a fratcal define r5.

drop in an I7 6700K or, if your motherboard supports it a 7700K(make sure your motherboard has a compatible BIOS version and update to it before buying a 7700K though, otherwise it wont work). the NH-D15 should do you good so dont buy a new cooler before you hear it with the new CPU. while i dont have the stock fans on my NH-D14, i have never heard it because the GPU fans have always been way louder. and my GPU fans arent even loud in the first place lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

None of those games are going to bottleneck your cpu.  Overclock higher maybe?

What is your current CPU not providing you that a new CPU would?

You have an unlocked i5 that is only one generation old, apparently running stably while overclocked fairly well.

Is spending $300+ worth an extra few fps that you more than likely won't notice? If you're doing more than gaming, then sure, more cores/threads may be beneficial. If all you need from the system is gaming performance, I personally don't see the value in upgrading the CPU for an extra 3-5% performance. I'd turn down settings loooong before I'd drop cash on a new CPU.

7700k is the best gaming cpu right now, period. Anything else wouldn't be worth it if you are pure gaming.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Upgrading the CPU makes no sense at all. The only reason to upgrade to 6700k/7700k would be if you want to stream.

12 minutes ago, gasolin said:

I play doom,bf1,need for speed hot persuite,2 shift unleashed,dirt 3,project cars (cpu demanding game)

Is the i7 7700k the only real upgrade unless i play cpu demanding games and can afford a i7 6800k or 8 core ryzen.

I have heard and seen an i7 can have higher minimum fps (from alle the 100 of video's i have seen the last days)

and that Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands can max out a i5 6600k at 4.5ghz with a gtx 1070 (indicates some games gets cpu limied with a 15 6600k at 4ghz).

How about heat,i know from some reviews a experience that a  i7 can get alot hotter than a i5 because of ht

and i do want my noctua nh-d15 to be silent non audible or should i get a cpu cooler like the thermalright true spirit 140 power?

Don't upgrade the CPU. You don't need it. Your current processor is running what a 7700k would at stock. If you want better fps get a new GPU. You could get another 1070 and slap that in SLI, but it wouldn't be worth the money.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

16 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Don't upgrade the CPU. You don't need it. Your current processor is running what a 7700k would at stock. If you want better fps get a new GPU. You could get another 1070 and slap that in SLI, but it wouldn't be worth the money.

Forgive me for hijacking the thread but what if I am into video editing, rendering stuff, does a 6600k does the work or do I get a 7700k?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K, Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 2 x 8GB GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X, Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5

Storage: WD Blue 1TB, Samsund 850 EVO 250 GB, PSU: Corsair RM 750X, Display(s): BenQ BL2710PT: Cooling: Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power

Mouse: Gamdias DEMETER II- 3200DPI Gaming Mouse, Operating System: Windows 8.1

17 minutes ago, steve-kon said:

Forgive me for hijacking the thread but what if I am into video editing, rendering stuff, does a 6600k does the work or do I get a 7700k?

A 7700k will do better, but if you want to go all out on video rendering and editing, get a new mobo and ryzen.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

21 minutes ago, steve-kon said:

does what you have work well enough for the work you do?

a 7700k or Ryzen or anything with more cores and threads will be better at multithreaded applications and multitasking than your i5. Whether it's worth the upgrade depends on A) what programs you use B) how often you use them (be honest with yourself!) and C) would the $3-500 be better spent elsewhere?

It is not the case that an i5 cannot do rendering/encoding/actual work, don't fall into the trap that you must have an i7 or Ryzen to do it. Those chips will do it better, but if you're only encoding/rendering stuff once a week, I wouldn't bother upgrading----Need vs Want.

One comment i read  was:

I read all kinds of ppl saying just get the I-5 for gaming, but I figure you will keep this cpu for 5+ years probably so the extra cost on the 6700k over that time isn't much when looked at that way. My I7-2600k still shows higher scores on passmark than a new I5-6600k for example and still runs perfectly fine. (of course there is more to consider, that is just a very rough compare). If you can afford it, i'd do it, otherwise if budget constrained, stick with the I5

That's a really good reason to buy an i7 

Theres 4 years between a i7 2600k and a i5 6600k as i read it a i5 2500k is starting  to show it's age over i5 6600k/7600k with 2 high end gpu's or one big (ipc)

49 minutes ago, gasolin said:

One comment i read  was:

I read all kinds of ppl saying just get the I-5 for gaming, but I figure you will keep this cpu for 5+ years probably so the extra cost on the 6700k over that time isn't much when looked at that way. My I7-2600k still shows higher scores on passmark than a new I5-6600k for example and still runs perfectly fine. (of course there is more to consider, that is just a very rough compare). If you can afford it, i'd do it, otherwise if budget constrained, stick with the I5

That's a really good reason to buy an i7 

Theres 4 years between a i7 2600k and a i5 6600k as i read it a i5 2500k is starting  to show it's age over i5 6600k/7600k with 2 high end gpu's or one big (ipc)

That's not a useful comparison unless the clock speeds and GPUs of both systems are known. An overclocked i7-2600K may indeed perform better than a stock clocked i5-6600k, but won't necessarily be better than an overclocked one.

Why, specifically, do you feel you need to upgrade your CPU? By what metric is it not performing well? What evidence do you have to suggest the i7 will be an improvement at all?

You can probably get better performance by upgrading to an i7, but the difference is going to be in the realm of 5% or so improvement. Is that really worth a couple hundred currency units? You haven't demonstrated any rational reason to upgrade, nor data supporting any need to upgrade, hence the pushback from many posters here.

Because i can and to make shure i can run all the latest games with max performance both from cpu and gpu, i haven't even strted to play cpu intense games and as overwatch gta v and other games get cheap i might start buying them

15 minutes ago, gasolin said:

Because i can and to make shure i can run all the latest games with max performance both from cpu and gpu, i haven't even strted to play cpu intense games and as overwatch gta v and other games get cheap i might start buying them

I have a i5-6600k @ 4.5 on air with a RX480.  I play at 1080p and don't have any issues in BF1 (very CPU intense) or GTA V. 

- The passmark scores are not a measure of comparison for gaming.  The i5 6600k is a better gaming cpu than the i7 2600k

It doesn't seem like you really have a need to spend more on a new cpu.  Until the CPU starts causing issues I would just stick with the i5.  By the time the i5 is causing issues in games there will be another generation of the latest and greatest cpu to upgrade to.

i5-6600k @ 4.5ghz || XFX RX-480 GTR || 16gb DDR4 || Lots of SSD's.

4 hours ago, gasolin said:

I had the same dilemma when I was deciding on what CPU to purchase, i5 7600K or i7 7700K. I opted with the i5 as I saw the extra 100$ or 100 euros was not worth the little fps bump it gave. Yes everybody loves more fps, but the i5 offers so much and is overclockable (if you have the necessarcy cooling, I have the x62 kraken so I should be fine).

In short, I have my i5 7600k and 1070 FE for a month now and have been using it on a 1440p 144hz 17 inch monitor and have seen no need to upgrade. I am very shocked you feel that way

Noctua nh-d15 and 3x 140mm ulm notuas running as low as asus q fan control alows the 2x71% and exhaust fan 80% (about 575 and 650rpm)  cpu coooler around 450-550 rpm and arethe closest you can com til have silent fans if you don't want the cpu cooler to run at 250-350rpm (they can do that) and case fans about the same.

The cpu cooler used to run at 25%. now since i desided to run my cpu at 4.5gz (instead of 4.2ghz) on all core 24/7 at 1.270 volt they ru at 30% until 65c, have seen someone say they run there i5 6600k 4.5ghz at 1.200volt, i don't think so, i can run mine at 4.2ghz on all cores at 1.175volt, but not 4.5ghz at 1.200volt.

Still very low temps.

Once had an i7 4790k asus z97 vii ranger i could run my noctua 1400 pwm fan at there lowest my asus  Z170 pro gaming just couldn't, it was fast and i loved it at some point playing project cars i used my cpu just under 70% (4.5ghz that is alot since 34440x1440 isn't that cpu hungry as the same setting or slightly higher at 1920x1080) and thought to my self i didn't need that much power and it got pretty hot to (had at that time a asus gtx 980) so i tried som other cpus's including amd 8 core before i ended up with a i5 6600k.

36 minutes ago, gasolin said:

The cpu cooler used to run at 25%. now since i desided to run my cpu at 4.5gz (instead of 4.2ghz) on all core 24/7 at 1.270 volt they ru at 30% until 65c, have seen someone say they run there i5 6600k 4.5ghz at 1.200volt, i don't think so, i can run mine at 4.2ghz on all cores at 1.175volt, but not 4.5ghz at 1.200volt.

I am at 1.272v for 4.5ghz on the 6600k.  On air, no problems.

i5-6600k @ 4.5ghz || XFX RX-480 GTR || 16gb DDR4 || Lots of SSD's.