Please Stop ‘Burning In’ Your Earphones

Ethnod

I did not even know this was a thing tbh. Does anyone do this?

For those of you unfamiliar with the practice, it basically amounts to pumping different kinds of sound into a new pair of headphones or earphones for a given period of time. Think of it as the sonic equivalent of breaking in a new pair of shoes — the idea being that the true character of your earphones will only surface after some robust exercise. The only problem? There’s zero evidence this does anything but prolong your enjoyment of music and add more confusion to an already complex topic.

Source:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/11/tnhyui-earphone-burn-in/

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Knowing that this is in fact a thing (and a noticeable one at that) with speakers I don't see a reason to not do it with earphones. They are, after all, just tiny speakers.

I did not even know this was a thing tbh. Does anyone do this?

Source:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/11/tnhyui-earphone-burn-in/

Lol, don't take any audio advice from wired. In reality there IS proof and it is real. I can hear it myself, and I'm not fooling myself into thinking it (it only happens with certain headphones).

There's an article at inner fidelity somewhere...

This is the same as music being over 320kbps.

Some people claim they can hear a difference some say there is none, studies have been done saying that there is and others saying the contrary.

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

This is the same as music being over 320kbps.

Some people claim they can hear a difference some say there is none, studies have been done saying that there is and others saying the contrary.

Studies always end up conflicting with one another in the long run anyway because they always use different methodologies. By the way I'm cringing so hard at your profile pic.

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

Studies always end up conflicting with one another in the long run anyway because they always use different methodologies. By the way I'm cringing so hard at your profile pic.

Yeah but then some people have a completely different "opinion" and argue like on this subject! If you notice a difference good for you, some might not.

And yeah its great lol

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I agree that "audiophiles" take this matter too far (as they do with every aspect of a sound system), but burn-in is a real phenomenon. It varies from headphone to headphone, and sometimes there's no change at all, but to deny it is as silly as leaving your system on overnight to warm up so that it sounds right.

Lol, don't take any audio advice from wired. In reality there IS proof and it is real. I can hear it myself, and I'm not fooling myself into thinking it (it only happens with certain headphones).

There's an article at inner fidelity somewhere...

Well I'm not talking advice from anyone tbh, yet at least, I just did not know this was a thing. 

However, where is that article you speak of? Would love to read more on it

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I just buy my headphones pre burnt in, saves me both time and money.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Does this apply to mice as well? Razer tells me the laser sensor gets more accurate as it burns.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

Studies only end up conflicting because people fail to use the correct methodology.  In my experience this comes from having an agenda or interest in a particular outcome.

EDIT: the only exception to this is when, over time, technology changes and our so ability to test changes. Which is no the same as using a different methodology.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Youst USE your Headphones (speakers as well)

The sound will improve over time. But don't force it.

When your speakers are new the membrane inside the speaker is not as flexible as it gets after using it a bit.

The idea behind burn in is to flex the membrane max to have it flexible directly. The problem is: Your membrane CUOLD get a micro scratch by doing this.

The speaker has to be flexed slowely

Can I get some Hoosiers and burnout my headphones instead. Since some guy on the internet is telling me what to do.