Should I Delid 7700K?

7700K @5050Mhz /1.408v/Gaming at 60-75c, 100% load at 80-85c

Cryorig A80

Should I delid and go for 5.2Ghz+? Would it be worth the $50+ it'd cost me?

Yeah, those load temps will drop by 20-25C :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, EvoIution said:

Cryorig A80

Do you want to overclock it more?

Do you want to risk potentially breaking your chip? (its a possibility)

If not then don't if you want the higher clocks go for it i have heard great results from delidding.

Sky/many get massive gains from delid

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

6 minutes ago, Unexas. said:

Do you want to overclock it more?

Do you want to risk potentially breaking your chip? (its a possibility)

If not then don't if you want the higher clocks go for it i have heard great results from delidding.

Hey it'd be nice getting 5.2Ghz+ at a lower temp than I'm at now

I'm confident in my ability to delid well without incident. The delid kits available make it look so easy. 

My only real concern is if pushing the chip will lead to degradation or a short 6 month lifespan. 

My goals coming into this PC build were only 5.0Ghz 7700K and 2.0Ghz on my 1080ti. Mission accomplished. But unsure if I should get greedy or get content.

1 minute ago, EvoIution said:

My only real concern is if pushing the chip will lead to degradation

No it won't @Lays runs his 7700K at 5.2GHz and @done12many2 runs his at 5.3GHz.

BTW, if your chip isn't being stressed all the time, it won't degrade as quickly as you think :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Please don't delid with a razor because I did mine last week and blew my chip and board

honestly if I were you I'd just be happy with what ur running 

seriously it's cost me 380 for a board and to get my chip repaired and my pc rebuilt and diagnosed 

I beg you don't delid it you self 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

22 minutes ago, EvoIution said:

Cryorig A80

Out of curiosity.  What are you calling a "100% load"?  What stress test are you running?

22 minutes ago, EvoIution said:

Whenever I asked myself this question, the voices always reply, "Hell yes you should!!"

14 minutes ago, EvoIution said:

Hey it'd be nice getting 5.2Ghz+ at a lower temp than I'm at now

I'm confident in my ability to delid well without incident. The delid kits available make it look so easy. 

My only real concern is if pushing the chip will lead to degradation or a short 6 month lifespan. 

Judging by the voltage that you're at now for 5.05 GHz, I'd be prepared for around 5.1 and maybe up to 5.2 GHz after delidding.  You'll gain a huge improvement in temps, but you'll also improve in voltage requirement slightly as well.  

14 minutes ago, EvoIution said:

My goals coming into this PC build were only 5.0Ghz 7700K and 2.0Ghz on my 1080ti. Mission accomplished. But unsure if I should get greedy or get content.

Never be satisfied!!  :D

1 minute ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Please don't delid with a razor because I did mine last week and blew my chip and board

honestly if I were you I'd just be happy with what ur running 

seriously it's cost me 380 for a board and to get my chip repaired and my pc rebuilt and diagnosed 

I beg you don't delid it you self 

Now the truth is starting to come out.  xD

You're right.  Always use a delidding tool.  To damn easy and accessible now to not use one.

33 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Out of curiosity.  What are you calling a "100% load"?  What stress test are you running?

I've run various stress tests but I'm calling 100% load when all CPU cores hit 100% in HWMonitor and the resulting temperatures after a period of time. I'm at work "working" right now so I don't have exact numbers on hand.

I was adamantly against the idea of ever delidding until I saw the 3D printed delidding tool kits that people are using.

ie der8auer Delid Die Mate 2

6 minutes ago, EvoIution said:

I've run various stress tests but I'm calling 100% load when all CPU cores hit 100% in HWMonitor and the resulting temperatures after a period of time. I'm at work "working" right now so I don't have exact numbers on hand.

At the end of the day, stability is completely subjective.  It only needs to be as stable as you need it to be.

As far as load, CPU usage pegged at 100% doesn't give you an accurate picture of "load".  An example of this would be the fact that AIDA64 can generate 100% CPU usage, but is very far from the "load" placed on the CPU when compared to something like OCCT or the latest Prime95 at the same 100% CPU usage.  The current running through the chip with something like AIDA64 is far less then that of OCCT or Prime95.

I find Asus RealBench to be the happy median between too light and too heavy of a load.

You'll have to tell me more about this word "working".  I've never heard of it.  :D

6 minutes ago, EvoIution said:

I was adamantly against the idea of ever delidding until I saw the 3D printed delidding tool kits that people are using.

ie der8auer Delid Die Mate 2

Yeah, way too simple to not do it if you have the means.  Well worth your time.  Good luck.