Advantages of Building a PC

I truly want to build my own pc, but I must get approval from my parents before doing something. My dad approves of it, but my mom just doesn't understand. She said that her all-in-one pc was exactly the same to my brother's x99 system he built. I have trouble talking to her when she disagrees with me, so how's an easy way for me to explain to her that building a pc is better than buying a prebuilt.

Also, she also said prebuilt pcs are cheaper, and it's sometimes true, but usually without a gpu. She also probably does not understand compnents so I can't just say that "the system that I'm building as this much more ram" or "this graphics card has blank that lets it be better than a prebuilt" so... yeah. 

its cheaper period. Thats it. Its also customized to your needs so the money is spent wisely.

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Cheaper, and you can personalize it too. Prebuilts usually use the cheapest parts too, like cheap non oc motherboards, blower gpus, and nothing mroe than 80 bronze psu. If your dad understands pc, you can have him explain it to your mom more thoroughly.

EDIT:

Also, some prebuilt brands will void your warranty if you plan to upgrade specific components or even just opening the pc case, so you can explain that rather than upgrading one part of the build if something breaks, you would have to buy a whole new PC.

pros of building your own PC:

1. complete freedom to pick your own components
  2. you get to avoid typical pre-built pitfalls(OP i7+gt 730, mediocre PSU, etc.)
  3. better aesthetics and cable management(if you bother to do it)
  4. usually cheaper IIRC

cons:

1. much more troublesome
  2. need to troubleshoot yourself and send it to the manufacturer if anything dies
  3. OS is pretty expensive if you don't wanna get it from reddit/kinguin/run deactivated/penguin OS
  4. more planning required

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

It's cheaper, some of us find it enjoyable and you get the parts you want/need.

I wouldn't say custom is better as such, that's a very broad statement. I'd say it can save you money, and it's more personal. But if you would rather pay someone to do a great job building a machine, then a prebuilt is equally good.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

17 minutes ago, kioskhill45 said:

I truly want to build my own pc, but I must get approval from my parents before doing something. My dad approves of it, but my mom just doesn't understand. She said that her all-in-one pc was exactly the same to my brother's x99 system he built. I have trouble talking to her when she disagrees with me, so how's an easy way for me to explain to her that building a pc is better than buying a prebuilt.

Also, she also said prebuilt pcs are cheaper, and it's sometimes true, but usually without a gpu. She also probably does not understand compnents so I can't just say that "the system that I'm building as this much more ram" or "this graphics card has blank that lets it be better than a prebuilt" so... yeah. 

Ask her if she'd rather take a prius off roading over a jeep. Custom built pcs are purpose built, prebuilds are browsing machines typically. Explain to her that her computer lacks power to do anything intensive.

If you want to demo this, just show her Minecraft with shaders and see if she finds a flipbook 2fps useable. (Anything intense will work as a demo)

Just say that you love computers and that is your hobby ;) say that some people like to collect paintings some people like to reed book and other like costum pc building :))) very simlle even my grandmother wil understand that explanation . Also say that u respect her  interestes  so therefore there is an obligation for her to respect your hobbies and  interests as long as they are morally correct 

My mom ignores me when I say it's cheaper, and she manipulates how I love computers into an annoying obsession for computers. also, what about explaining to her the difference between her all-in-one to my brother's x99 system in a simple way?

8 minutes ago, kioskhill45 said:

My mom ignores me when I say it's cheaper, and she manipulates how I love computers into an annoying obsession for computers. also, what about explaining to her the difference between her all-in-one to my brother's x99 system in a simple way?

How'd he get his one built?

Maybe do your brother's comp in pcpartpicker and show her the difference? PPP even has historical prices. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Another way to do it, find a prebuild or even a couple online of equal spec to your brother's, then show her the prices.

1 hour ago, herman mcpootis said:

1. more planning required

ask for help in ltt, me or you or someone similar makes a quick pcpp build in 5 mins, op gets satisfied. done. 

22 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

ask for help in ltt, me or you or someone similar makes a quick pcpp build in 5 mins, op gets satisfied. done. 

then after that you factor in shipping, taxes in some areas, out of stock or increased prices that may throw the build out of whack. and some might not know much about LTT or other forums, want to buy them from a store or the country doesn't have PCPP

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

This is not much for reasons (you look like these guys gave you a lot) but a good way to deliver it is to write a short essay. Back in the day my parents wouldn't let me play or buy any Grand Theft Auto games. I gave reasons and I constantly pestered them. Then on day I had the idea to write an essay about it. It was about 2 pages ish, just explaining the reasons why I thought I should be able to play. Long story short, they snapped. Might want to give it a try, it shows dedication and that you're grown up.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, JJVGaming said:

blower gpus

what's wrong with it?

2 minutes ago, evolv said:

what's wrong with it?

blower style coolers have worse temps than open air. it is helpful to use only for small cases

10 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

blower style coolers have worse temps than open air. it is helpful to use only for small cases

I live in tropical country, in summer I got 37 degree celcius idle on my GTX 1070 FE (my room doesn't have air conditioner)

I live in tropical country, in summer I got 37 degree celcius idle on my GTX 1070 FE (my room doesn't have air conditioner)

how much on load ?

My 550Ti idles at 50 and I live in a god damn Raincouver.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

My 550Ti idles at 50 and I live in a god damn Raincouver.

Same temps :D though rain is not always cool. Vancouver is pretty warm overall, barely any snow

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Same temps :D though rain is not always cool. Vancouver is pretty warm overall, barely any snow

With the exception of the recent Winter season

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

how much on load ?

around 60+ (plays NFS, SF V.....I know it's not too demanding)

9 hours ago, kioskhill45 said:

To be honest, sometimes is see a prebuild system.
Thinking it isnt that bad, and than i check the component prices and see that its more expensive to buy the parts separetly and build it.

So NO, not every prebuild pc is 'piece of crap' and is 'to expensive according to the components inside it'.

If you parents do not allow you to build your own pc.
If its your money, than you can argue.
IF its money from your parents, you should be happy you get a free pc.

It's simple:

Check the price & component of the 'all in one system'.
try to build the pc on pc part picker with those component + windows 10 license and see the difference.
If their is some difference, just print it on a paper and show it to your mom.