Vacuum clean computer?

Moromann

I built my desktop computer about 2 years ago. Opened it today and it's full of dust. Is it safe to vacuum clean it? I have heard stuff about static electricity and that it might damage the components, but is it really that bad? And if so, how should I clean it? 

Dust swirling inside the vacuum can cause a static charge. Stick with compressed air.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Just blow on it, worked for me (no the moisture in your breath wont harm hardware its very hardy stuff)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

You can get special ESD safe vacuum cleaners, but it's probably easier and cheaper to just use compressed air.

I would suggest you vacuum clean the air filters because they can often be taken off from the case. Also you will need the vacuum cleaner even when using compressed air. Otherwise you are going to move the dust from your pc to your room. So you can keep the vacuum nozzle some distance away where you are blowing the air and this way the dust gets vacuumed off right away.

Using compressed air can also create static electricity just like vacuum cleaner. However the possibility is somewhat smaller.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

blow dryer :P

canned air q-tips and alcohol

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I use a hair dryer ( on the cool setting, not blowing hot air which has a charge ) and a paint brush to brush off any dust from the back of the gpu pcb and stuff.

People shouldnt be intimidated by their pc, its not THAT fragile  

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I've been using an air compressor and I'm always scared to let it go full blast on my PC so I usually do it from a distance or only press the handle down a little and also make sure It's not spinning my fans. I'm not sure if this it's the safest to use an air compressor but I haven't broke anything yet

Never use a vacuum cleaner, because of static electricity that is created by dust.

Just like the othe people wrote before, use compressed air. You can buy them already in cans and it's easy and handy in use.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

just for information me and one friend have cleaned pc's with vacum cleaners probably a dozen times without any problems.

we were just being careful about touching the circuits thats all..

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

I use compressed air AND vacuum cleaner. But I always keep pipe outside of case and use lowest power possible. I use compressed air to get dust moving and then collect it to vacuum. Like blow air into GPU heatsink and hold vacuum pipe over it to prevent dust landing inside case again. No problems with that methot.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I know I'm breaking the laws but I always use the vacuum cleaner - and then I finish it off with a brush

P.S. In like 10 years of doing that nothing went wrong and I've cleaned a lot of computers

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Used a vacuum cleaner for a long time and not done any damage that has been vacuum related , it works but I recently switched to compressed air, I find it's easier to get between the fan blades and tiny spaces with compressed air

CPU: Phenom 1090T, Motherboard: Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 RAM: Generic 8GB 1600MHz GPU: MSI Radeon R9 270 HDDs: 2 Scavenged 160GB drives (I lost my 500GB one and I don't know how) SSD: Samsung 840 evo120GB  OS: Windows 7 Case: Bitfenix merc beta PSU: Corsair CX 600W

That can melt plastic pieces.

If you set it on lowest heat, it really cant. Or if you can turn heat off. And what plastic you are talking about?  Any plastic in PC is pretty heat resistant and durable.

Do whatever works.

This guy is a perfect example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrKyxhkjsLA

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

lol pls no

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

I used a vacuum cleaner to clean my computer with the help of compressed air. I would keep a distance between the parts and your vacuum cleaner when you are cleaning it.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I use a soft brush to brush off fine dusts while holding the vacuum cleaner a few inches away (being very careful not to touch any parts). Haven't had any problems so far. 

Core i5 3470 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ | Kingston 8GB DDR3 (1600Mhz) | Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V LGA1155 | Asus Geforce GTX 670 2GB DirectCUII OC | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATAIII | LITEON 24x DVD-RW | Cooler Master Silent Pro M600W | Xigmatek Midgard II Window | Logitech G100 Gaming Keyboard | LG 23" IPS234V | Edifier M1380 | Bravo Audio Ocean Tube Amp | Sennheiser HD600 | Sansa Clip+ | Yamaha EPH-100

I would like to point out that using compressed air that has come from an air compressor can cause issues! If the air humidity is high, that humidity is going to be transferred into water when compressed. So using an air compressor, you might accidentally blow fine water vapour to your components and that's not good. When using an air compressor, use some distance and do not use the full pressure! I would suggest using 2-3 bar from a distance.

Of course you can use the canned stuff, which is completely dry air but it's somewhat expensive if you plan to use it regularly.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602