What are the typical sizes for Nintendo Switch games? I'm trying to decide what size of micro sd card to get.

Bleedingyamato

Idk if 64GB is enough for if maybe 128GB would be better.  I just want to get one card that I won't have to ever switch or at lesst not for a long time.  

Knowing typical sizes for Switch games would help.  

just get 128 cuz you never know how many games you will have.

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Breath of the wild is about 14GB Dragon quest heroes is 32GB so the absolute largest you can afford

11 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Idk if 64GB is enough for if maybe 128GB would be better.  I just want to get one card that I won't have to ever switch or at lesst not for a long time.  

Knowing typical sizes for Switch games would help.  

Im going to be honest at about 40 bucks the 128 is a good idea. You dont want to fill a 64 just to have to buy a 128 anyway. Though I get the sense based on the cases I've seen they intend for you to have multiple micro sd cards. Mine came with a plastic case to hold 6 games and 4 micro sd cards. Its a bit weird. 

Get 256GB.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, Textosterone said:

just get 128 cuz you never know how many games you will have.

Might not hurt.  

1 hour ago, r4tch3t said:

Breath of the wild is about 14GB Dragon quest heroes is 32GB so the absolute largest you can afford

Ok.  Thank you for the info.  

1 hour ago, Hunter7263 said:

Im going to be honest at about 40 bucks the 128 is a good idea. You dont want to fill a 64 just to have to buy a 128 anyway. Though I get the sense based on the cases I've seen they intend for you to have multiple micro sd cards. Mine came with a plastic case to hold 6 games and 4 micro sd cards. Its a bit weird. 

Is the EVO fast enough though?

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

Get 256GB.

For $200 I'll pass.  lol

Seriously wtf?  It goes from $40 for 128GB to $199 for 256GB.  

@M.Yurizaki I seem to remember you saying something about sd card prices like this crazy jump in cost.   

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Get a 1tb sata drive

It's a Switch not a desktop silly.  ?

It depends on what games you're wanting to download. If you want to download every single release then the average major release will be around 10GB or so. With just a handful of large games that 32GB is used up almost immediately. 64GB of extra storage will last you a bit longer. Get as big a card as you can afford if you plan to do this, 128GB at a minimum but be prepared to upgrade it when prices for bigger cards go down. 

However if you choose to only buy games digitally when you want to carry with you everywhere? That size will be smaller. Do I want to carry Zelda, Mario and Metroid around with me everywhere I go for the life of the system? Probably not. I'm fine just having the cartridge in my system until I've finished and can move on to the next game. Do I want to carry around Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and Smash Bros? Well sure because those games never end. If you do that the average game size will be something more like 5GB. If you're doing this the 32GB of storage will eventually be used up but not as quickly as it otherwise might have. I'd probably get a 64GB card and that should last you for quite a while.

But if you're like me and figure that cartridges are easy to carry around you might not bother with digital. The big solo-game of the day will sit in your system, the other games will be in your case. When push comes to shove the only games you really need to download are indie releases that aren't available on cartridge. And those games are typically under 1GB. If this is what you plan to do then you might not even need extra storage for a while yet. 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

4 minutes ago, skywake said:

It depends on what games you're wanting to download. If you want to download every single release then the average major release will be around 10GB or so. With just a handful of large games that 32GB is used up almost immediately. 64GB of extra storage will last you a bit longer. Get as big a card as you can afford if you plan to do this, 128GB at a minimum but be prepared to upgrade it when prices for bigger cards go down. 

However if you choose to only buy games digitally when you want to carry with you everywhere? That size will be smaller. Do I want to carry Zelda, Mario and Metroid around with me everywhere I go for the life of the system? Probably not. I'm fine just having the cartridge in my system until I've finished and can move on to the next game. Do I want to carry around Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and Smash Bros? Well sure because those games never end. If you do that the average game size will be something more like 5GB. If you're doing this the 32GB of storage will eventually be used up but not as quickly as it otherwise might have. I'd probably get a 64GB card and that should last you for quite a while.

But if you're like me and figure that cartridges are easy to carry around. Your case probably has enough slots for most of the games you would want to carry anyways. The only games you really need to download are indie releases that aren't available on cartridge. And those games are typically under 1GB. If this is what you plan to do then you might not even need extra storage for a while yet. 

Metroid?  On the Switch?

I guess I need to decide how often I'd doenload games.  Though it wouldn't hurt to have more room just in case. 

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Metroid?  On the Switch?

It was just an example, there isn't one confirmed yet. But my point was that there isn't much of an advantage to downloading releases that you're only going to play through once and then either sell or put on a shelf. Games like Zelda, Mario and Metroid or whatever else comes out if and when it comes out. So with limited space it might make sense to get those on cartridges instead. 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

46 minutes ago, skywake said:

It was just an example, there isn't one confirmed yet. But my point was that there isn't much of an advantage to downloading releases that you're only going to play through once and then either sell or put on a shelf. Games like Zelda, Mario and Metroid or whatever else comes out if and when it comes out. So with limited space it might make sense to get those on cartridges instead. 

Too bad.  I'd love a new Metroid game.  

I'd replay games like those.  Just not maybe too often.