iPad was switched with clay

yesman

Not the first time it happened- I remember seeing something like this before.

Found the link from Jan 2012: http://www.dailytech.com/Scam+Artists+Replace+iPad+2s+with+Blocks+of+Clay+in+Canada+Return+Them+for+Full+Refunds/article23809.htm

When I saw the title of this thread my first thought was "didn't that happen before?" Glad I wasn't the only one and you dug it up.

Not the first time it happened- I remember seeing something like this before.

Found the link from Jan 2012: http://www.dailytech.com/Scam+Artists+Replace+iPad+2s+with+Blocks+of+Clay+in+Canada+Return+Them+for+Full+Refunds/article23809.htm

I've solved it! THIS GUY'S THE CULPRIT Clayface_DCAU_01.jpg

prick

CPUIntel i7 4770k @3.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | GPU: eVGA GTX 780 SC w/Titan Cooler | Storage: 2x Corsair Force 3 120GB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB 3.5" HDD | RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600, 2x4GB Kingston Blu Red DDR3-1600 | PSU: Corsair GS600 80+ Bronze | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Displays: BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz, Dell SR2220L 21.5", LG E2241 21.5" | Keyboard: AZiO Levetron Mech5 MX Blacks | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Samson C01U USB Condenser, RØDE PSA1 Scissor Boom, Akai MPK25 MIDI Controller | Phone: Google Nexus 5 16GB 4.4.2 | Desk: IKEA LINNMON+ADILS | Guitars: Teisco VN-4, Teisco EP93-T

I remember years ago when a PS3 was replaced with a phonebook :P

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Holy crap, what the heck? If news ever gets out how on earth this happened, I'd love to know.

It was probably someone who bought it, took the iPad, and put some clay in it and then packaged it up and claims he never opened it. That way, no one would check if the iPad was in there because they would break the seal

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

It was probably someone who bought it, took the iPad, and put some clay in it and then packaged it up and claims he never opened it. That way, no one would check if the iPad was in there because they would break the seal

Either that or he bought it activated it and then sold it on the street, threw the clay in and went to get his money back.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Either that or he bought it activated it and then sold it on the street, threw the clay in and went to get his money back.

But the original article said that the iPad was activated in the guy's name, didn't it?

CPUIntel i7 4770k @3.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | GPU: eVGA GTX 780 SC w/Titan Cooler | Storage: 2x Corsair Force 3 120GB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB 3.5" HDD | RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600, 2x4GB Kingston Blu Red DDR3-1600 | PSU: Corsair GS600 80+ Bronze | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Displays: BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz, Dell SR2220L 21.5", LG E2241 21.5" | Keyboard: AZiO Levetron Mech5 MX Blacks | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Samson C01U USB Condenser, RØDE PSA1 Scissor Boom, Akai MPK25 MIDI Controller | Phone: Google Nexus 5 16GB 4.4.2 | Desk: IKEA LINNMON+ADILS | Guitars: Teisco VN-4, Teisco EP93-T

But the original article said that the iPad was activated in the guy's name, didn't it?

I mean Colin Marsh bought it, activated it in his own name, sold it one the street and returned the box claiming it came with clay in it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I mean Colin Marsh bought it, activated it in his own name, sold it one the street and returned the box claiming it came with clay in it.

Oh, right. But, didn't they verify that the activation occurred all the way in Wales? I mean, assuming that it was a WiFi model, would he have been able to use a VPN to fake that? I'm not familiar with Apple products in the least.

I'd also like to note that your Max Headroom .gif is mesmerizing ...

Oh, right. But, didn't they verify that the activation occurred all the way in Wales? I mean, assuming that it was a WiFi model, would he have been able to use a VPN to fake that? I'm not familiar with Apple products in the least.

I'd also like to note that your Max Headroom .gif is mesmerizing ...

They tracked it to Wales but I don't think it was necessarily activated there, just turned on long enough to track.

Cheers, I'm old time max headroom fan,

the trashcan design and the finger print scanner

Fingerprint scanner is actually useful.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

lol, I have a similar story from when I was at Asus. You all probably aren't familiar with Asus's cross ship policy, but basically we would send the customer a replacement product and once they received it they would send us the old defective one. Long story short, we cross shipped a customer a new motherboard and received a box of rocks in return. Literally, a box ful of rocks... I think have a picture somewhere...

i would do that to asus just to get back at them for all of the warranties they don't honor.

I think I heard this news before where Best Buy sold ipads filled with clay like this one.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

i would do that to asus just to get back at them for all of the warranties they don't honor.

What warranties don't they honor?

What warranties don't they honor?

one of my gpus crapped out within first week, they said that i intentionally missued the product.... in an htpc.

one of their motherboards totally died. a capacitor blew in 4 weeks of buying, they wouldn't even respond to my rma requests.

i can go on.

Introducing the new iPad Clay. The new iPad Clay has a revolutionary moldable design and it's the lightest tablet on the market. Now comes in all colors.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M