i7-7700k with H115i AIO cooler, how good is it?

I'm building a new PC in the upcoming days with these specs:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ft8W7h

Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Intel 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power

How far can I overclock this cpu with this cooler? and how good is the cooler in keeping the temps under 70 under full load?

Side question: Since I need this build to serve me for at least 5 years, do you recommend me to overclock it from day one? 

If you have any advice or recommendation, please let me know

Thanks

That cooler shouldn't limit you by any means.

Keeping an overclocked CPU cooled properly will preserve it well, it will decrease the life span of it but no worries.

Looked into the NZXT Kraken x62? Looks way better, and at your pricetag that should be fine.

2 minutes ago, Smart_Sniper said:

snip

How far can I overclock this cpu with this cooler?

Easily to 5ghz.

and how good is the cooler in keeping the temps under 70 under full load?

That depends on how much voltage you need to reach 5ghz, every CPU is different. If you delid the CPU and replace the thermal interface with liquid metal then relid, you will reduce temperatures significantly. 

Since I need this build to serve me for at least 5 years, do you recommend me to overclock it from day one?

Yes day one. but don't go over 1.35v (for the first few years anyway)

The gtx 1070 may not last you 5 years.

The fans on the Corsair H115i were unbelievable loud, even for Corsair's standards.

I found after a couple of months temperatures raised to >100°C, and have dropped to 60°C after switching to a Kraken x62. Though AIO coolers of any brand can fail.

4 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

That cooler shouldn't limit you by any means.

Keeping an overclocked CPU cooled properly will preserve it well, it will decrease the life span of it but no worries.

Looked into the NZXT Kraken x62? Looks way better, and at your pricetag that should be fine.

Thanks for the info, I will surely look into this cooler.

8 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

How far can I overclock this cpu with this cooler?

Easily to 5ghz.

and how good is the cooler in keeping the temps under 70 under full load?

That depends on how much voltage you need to reach 5ghz, every CPU is different. If you delid the CPU and replace the thermal interface with liquid metal thenrelid, you will reduce temperatures significantly. 

Since I need this build to serve me for at least 5 years, do you recommend me to overclock it from day one?

Yes day one. but don't go over 1.35v (for the first few years anyway)

The gtx 1070 may not last you 5 years.

That was really helpful, thanks a lot!

9 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

The fans on the Corsair H115i were unbelievable loud, even for Corsair's standards.

I found after a couple of months temperatures raised to >100°C, and have dropped to 60°C after switching to a Kraken x62. Though AIO coolers of any brand can fail.

Looks like I will be looking into Kraken x62 since silence is very important in this build, thanks for the info

21 minutes ago, Smart_Sniper said:

Looks like I will be looking into Kraken x62 since silence is very important in this build, thanks for the info

AIO coolers are louder than regular air coolers, and don't really provide a cooling benefit (at least compared to the higher end air coolers).  The water just takes longer to heat up.  Here's a good explanation:

Personally, I'm super happy with my CRYORIG R1 Ultimate.  If you're okay with the extra noise and don't mind the risk of leaking, an AIO is probably the right choice.  It definitely looks nicer because it's so much smaller.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

like @JoostinOnline said, air coolers are most of the time quieter if you buy good ones. i have the dark rock 3, non-pro. it is super silent and can cool my OC'ed i5 very good, 5Ghz @1.30V and the highest temp under aida64 was 69 degrees celcius. i would advice an air cooler, but those liquid coolers do look very nice though.

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

H115i + Noctua 3000rpm nf-14 = pretty dang good.

Takes my 5820k to 4.4 under 80c without making much noise.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

AIO coolers are louder than regular air coolers, and don't really provide a cooling benefit (at least compared to the higher end air coolers).  The water just takes longer to heat up.  Here's a good explanation:

Personally, I'm super happy with my CRYORIG R1 Ultimate.  If you're okay with the extra noise and don't mind the risk of leaking, an AIO is probably the right choice.  It definitely looks nicer because it's so much smaller.

Well, that was so informative video. Thanks a lot for sharing .. I will definitely look into some high end air coolers

1 hour ago, Smart_Sniper said:

Well, that was so informative video. Thanks a lot for sharing .. I will definitely look into some high end air coolers

I had a H115i on my z270 test bench used for binning 7700k CPUs.  Great cooler, but that sucker is loud.  5 GHz is possible depending on chip quality.  Delid the chip and 5 GHz + is more then possible with this cooler.

Salazar's video is accurate.  AIOs do heat up over time.  When they do eventually heat soak, expect similar temps as those found in high end air coolers.

37 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I had a H115i on my z270 test bench used for binning 7700k CPUs.  Great cooler, but that sucker is loud.  5 GHz is possible depending on chip quality.  Delid the chip and 5 GHz + is more then possible with this cooler.

Salazar's video is accurate.  AIOs do heat up over time.  When they do eventually heat soak, expect similar temps as those found in high end air coolers.

Well, looks like I will be getting either a Kraken x62 or some high end air cooler .. thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts!