What if I ripped off Intel's cpu?

So if I were start a company and produce cheap chips called "7700k" would I get fined/sued/put to jail? It's just a model number.

Pretty sure nothing would happen as 7700K is not a trademark. If you used Intel however things would be verrrrrrry different.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It is a registered brand, in all the countries that have trademarked patents for Intel you could be potentially sued, so go rip it off in China or North Korea where patents are worth shit

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Pretty sure nothing would happen as 7700K is not a trademark. If you used Intel however things would be verrrrrrry different.

Would you be dumb enough to buy it?

4 minutes ago, Gonkee said:

if it performed like the real thing I'd buy it

idk

5 minutes ago, Gonkee said:

Don't scam people, that's not nice. Unless you ripoff their design too.

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

It is a registered brand, in all the countries that have trademarked patents for Intel you could be potentially sued, so go rip it off in China or North Korea where patents are worth shit

7700K is not a brand, its a model number. Intel is the brand.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

a smarter thing to do is what Lindows did

In 2002, Microsoft sued Lindows, Inc. claiming the name Lindows constituted an infringement of their Windows trademark. Microsoft's claims were rejected by the court, which asserted that Microsoft had used the term windows to describe graphical user interfaces before the Windows product was ever released, and that the windowing technique had already been implemented by Xerox and Apple Computer many years before.[7] Microsoft sought a retrial and after this was postponed in February 2004,[8] offered to settle the case. As part of the licensing settlement, Microsoft paid an estimated $20 million, and Lindows, Inc. transferred the Lindows trademark to Microsoft and changed its name to Linspire, Inc.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linspire

hmm I should quickly register windoze.com

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

• 3 months later...
On 4/6/2017 at 6:58 AM, Gonkee said:

Man windoge

I think the courts also said that you cannot trademark numbers.  Intel tried to trademark 8086 back in the day, but failed.

On 4/6/2017 at 6:42 AM, Princess Cadence said:

AMD's A10 7700K would like a word.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

13 minutes ago, VPrime said:

I think the courts also said that you cannot trademark numbers.  Intel tried to trademark 8086 back in the day, but failed.

You can trademark numbers. "1" was trademarked in 2002 by a NASCAR driver. The thing is, you have to prove the trademark is significant based on a certain context. For example, you can trademark Apple for anything other than being a computer or electronics company (or anything else that I'm not aware of). Apple had fun with this as well when they released the Macintosh, butting heads with the amplifier company McIntosh. The courts decided that Apple was fine, because there were two clearly different contexts established.

The thing with Intel abandoning trademarking number was during the 80386 days, where they were afraid of the trademark "386" becoming generic due to legal clones. This is also the beginning of Intel's long legal feuds with AMD. In any case, they lost the trademark because in the context of computers, "386" had become generic.

Source: http://tedium.co/2017/05/18/intel-386-486-trademark-battles/

Also I think from that, every company decided it wasn't worth it to trademark numbers because numbers provide more than just a name in computer hardware space.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You can trademark numbers. "1" was trademarked in 2002 by a NASCAR driver. The thing is, you have to prove the trademark is significant based on a certain context. For example, you can trademark Apple for anything other than being a computer or electronics company (or anything else that I'm not aware of). Apple had fun with this as well when they released the Macintosh, butting heads with the amplifier company McIntosh. The courts decided that Apple was fine, because there were two clearly different contexts established.

The thing with Intel abandoning trademarking number was during the 80386 days, where they were afraid of the trademark "386" becoming generic due to legal clones. This is also the beginning of Intel's long legal feuds with AMD. In any case, they lost the trademark because in the context of computers, "386" had become generic.

Also I think from that, every company decided it wasn't worth it to trademark numbers because numbers provide more than just a name in computer hardware space.

Well dang.  I'd rather not have companies trademark numbers...

Bmw has a i3 and so does intel.

The necro!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

the x86 architecture is copyrighted, you cant make it without a license anymore as only intel and AMD have the license to make it. If you do both companies can come after you.

There are 2 ways you can do it, with an electron microscope or with engineers to design an x86 compatible chip. The problem with either solution is that they are very expensive and you have to get the fabs to make the CPU too.

CPU design can get very complicated. Rather than trying to make an intel like CPU, make your own thats better instead. Why dont you take a look at CPUs like tilera for example or make a CPU thats also a GPU for design examples.

On 4/6/2017 at 4:42 AM, Princess Cadence said:

patents are worth shit

they are worth shit world wide, not just China and ill dudes land

Generally speaking that is.

Intel has deep pockets and lawyers on payroll.

• 1 year later...
On 7/17/2017 at 6:43 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

I know this is an old thread, but mcintosh arent just an amplifier producer..

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

On 4/6/2017 at 3:43 AM, Gonkee said:

Are you admitting to a scam scheme?

EDIT: Damn, just realized this is a necropost

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

9 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

EDIT: Damn, just realized this is a necropost

If I come to a thread via a search function, I don't often bother looking at the date if I'm replying.  (I've seen forums that encourage people to search for a topic to see if it's already been posted before posting a new one.)

do, however, look at the date if I'm researching some things like how to do something.  A post from 2006 on how to do something in Firefox may not be relevant for a modern version, for example.

Also, if I'm looking at a topic list sorted by date, newest first ... If all topics on the first page are < 30 minutes old, I know the forum's very active and my plea for help or whatever would get promptly buried.  Conversely, if there are topics from 1995, 1997 (skipping 1996), etc. on the first page and the last post was in 2003, then my e-prayer may never be heard.

Personally I think patents & copyrights last WAY too long, I think it should be closer to the commercial new-in-stock lifecycle, or a few years or so.  (For example, Haswell and Broadwell should have expired by now and Skylake should be on its way to expiration, imo.)

98395A7C8BB444283303C95223BA2EE9B5E3607C