R9 295x2 and power requirements

NecroFlex

Ok so i struck a small deal and bought an R9 295x2 for 30€.

Which brings me to the issues it has, no water cooler that it had, the owner decided to solder off the DVI port and one of the chips isn't working properly (white lines/freezing), he tested it chip by chip and one went trough bechmarks fine, other froze and crashed. (i might fix it, will see, was only 30 and i wanted to have some fun)

Anyway, back to my question, looking at the car itself it has 2 8-pin adapters, so 2x150W and 75W from the PCI-E lane, total of 375W...but from all the googling i did it says it consumes like 500W, can anyone explain how?

Also would a decent 750W PSU be good enough for it or would it be too close?

P.S. anyone know what aftermarket cooler could i use or should i DIY stuff on it?

10 minutes ago, NecroFlex said:

Ok so i struck a small deal and bought an R9 295x2 for 30€.

Which brings me to the issues it has, no water cooler that it had, the owner decided to solder off the DVI port and one of the chips isn't working properly (white lines/freezing), he tested it chip by chip and one went trough bechmarks fine, other froze and crashed. (i might fix it, will see, was only 30 and i wanted to have some fun)

Anyway, back to my question, looking at the car itself it has 2 8-pin adapters, so 2x150W and 75W from the PCI-E lane, total of 375W...but from all the googling i did it says it consumes like 500W, can anyone explain how?

Also would a decent 750W PSU be good enough for it or would it be too close?

P.S. anyone know what aftermarket cooler could i use or should i DIY stuff on it?

It has two 290Xs on it, and those are at least 250W (closer to 280-300) by themselves. That card is notorious for drawing more through the edge connector than it is supposed to.

That sounds like the least of your problems though. Whoever you got this from has done an absolute number on it. Scrap it and get a 480 or 1060 or something.

3 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

It has two 290Xs on it, and those are at least 250W (closer to 280-300) by themselves. That card is notorious for drawing more through the edge connector than it is supposed to.

That sounds like the least of your problems though. Whoever you got this from has done an absolute number on it. Scrap it and get a 480 or 1060 or something.

Already have a GTX 980ti (waiting for AMDs HBM2 flagship, i hope)

Like i said, it was 30€ and i like fixing PCs and such, so this is a really good project aswell (doing an AIO small gaming PC aswell)

Just overall didn't make sense since 8pin can output a max of 150W, poor mobo/PSU then :(

I would get two second hand AIO's and put one on each chip

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

8 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I would get two second hand AIO's and put one on each chip

Was thing about that too, if i find them.

I could also call EKWB since they are based in my country, they might have a 295x2 WB sitting in storage not doing anything, worth a try.

I'd first find a air cooler for it, and fix the chips, no point going through all the cooling stuff if its not working. 

Nice idea man and good luck on the project :) 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

8 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

I'd first find a air cooler for it, and fix the chips, no point going through all the cooling stuff if its not working. 

Nice idea man and good luck on the project :) 

i have 2 old ''tower'' coolers and will try to DIY them on just to see what's wrong in the 1st place. After that, depending on the result, i do have a case that has built in water cooling so could use that if i get the WB from EK.

2 minutes ago, NecroFlex said:

i have 2 old ''tower'' coolers and will try to DIY them on just to see what's wrong in the 1st place. After that, depending on the result, i do have a case that has built in water cooling so could use that if i get the WB from EK.

Please post pics ! 

Yeah EK the way to go, I'm looking at a block for the grandpa 580 I just bought and they cheap as anything once they outdated. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

Please post pics ! 

Yeah EK the way to go, I'm looking at a block for the grandpa 580 I just bought and they cheap as anything once they outdated. 

i have 2 580 water blocks from them, need one? Pay for shipping and it's yours :P

Also will post pics, for that internet karma ;)

On 06/04/2017 at 3:30 AM, Not_Sean said:

Please post pics ! 

first pic, need 1 more tower cooler
83454b8fd1924f78845346df7faae4da.jpeg

and yes, it's ziptied down :D

thats amazing ! ! can't wait to see it with the second one ! 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

On 06/04/2017 at 1:38 AM, NecroFlex said:

Those power specs are meaningless. Those connectors can easily handle way more power. 

There's guys on LN2 with GPUs consuming 1000W+ from a a similar setup. If those specs meant anything they wouldn't be able to even do that. 

You pull as much as your PSU can push from the power connectors. Probably just a BIOS power limit "stops" them from doing so. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

im unsure if this will help or not, but im running 2x r9 290 (not exactly the same card) with a Fx9590 with water cooling and i use a 1200w psu as my old 1000w would at times give out under heavy load and shut down :) older amd cards are thirsty and i got myself a ax1200i just to be safe