Is dual-chip graphics cards are dead?

The latest dual-chip gpu from NVidia was gtx 790, and from amd is r9 295x2 (not sure about that). No newer Maxwell/pascal NVidia gpu's or gcn 3.0+ amd gpu's? Or is gpu's are becoming much power efficient and there's less problems with running sli/crossfire system? What's the reason?

AMD has the 390X2 (2x R9 390) and Radeon ProDuo which are two Fury X chips on one GPU. Those GPUs are not "dead", Nvidia abandoned the idea I guess, though I'd expect AMD to release a dual Vega card this year.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

the amount of people interested in these kind of cards is pretty low so the support from game manufacturers is not that great giving consumoers one more reason not to buy these ...

4 minutes ago, Schakal_No1 said:

the amount of people interested in these kind of cards is pretty low so the support from game manufacturers is not that great giving consumoers one more reason not to buy these ...

It works the same as two separate GPUs in Crossfire/SLI so support from game manufacturers is not the reason.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It works the same as two separate GPUs in Crossfire/SLI so support from game manufacturers is not the reason.

in a way no, but some devs don't support sli

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

Console.WriteLine("C# is aids");

Just now, nobiggieBIG said:

in a way no, but some devs don't support sli

True, but if a game doesn't support multi-GPU configurations such as SLI and Crossfire, it won't support using two separate GPUs as well so in this case, only one chip of the dual card would do the work.

Those cards have exactly the same issues as dual-GPU configs, however support for those technologies is not as bad as people think, at least in modern titles.

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

True, but if a game doesn't support multi-GPU configurations such as SLI and Crossfire, it won't support using two separate GPUs as well so in this case, only one chip of the dual card would do the work.

Those cards have exactly the same issues as dual-GPU configs, however support for those technologies is not as bad as people think, at least in modern titles.

not worth it nowadays, especially for the price overhaul, they charge you for the development

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

1 minute ago, nobiggieBIG said:

not worth it nowadays, especially for the price overhaul, they charge you for the development

It just depends what you're using it for. If you need computing power, you can get two dual cards such as Radeon ProDuo instead of four Fury X's and run them in QuadFire - less space taken in the case, fewer PCI slots occupied etc.

For gaming? If you get a ProDuo, 295x2 or 390X2 at a good price, it's not a bad idea as Crossfire is a better technology than SLI in terms of performance scaling, flexibility etc.

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

It just depends what you're using it for. If you need computing power, you can get two dual cards such as Radeon ProDuo instead of four Fury X's and run them in QuadFire - less space taken in the case, fewer PCI slots occupied etc.

For gaming? If you get a ProDuo, 295x2 or 390X2 at a good price, it's not a bad idea as Crossfire is a better technology than SLI in terms of performance scaling, flexibility etc.

but sli isn't worth it because of issues. sli/cf

2 hours ago, nobiggieBIG said:

but sli isn't worth it because of issues. sli/cf

I disagree. It's not perfect, but im very happy with my sli setup. You trade $$$ and configuration effort to get huge amounts of power. Some people love that tradeoff, some don't. It's rarely a good value move (unless buying a used older gen card to pair with your older gen card), but that's not the same as being "not worth it". If you're willing to spend a bit of effort it can totally be worth it. And yes, some games just don't handle sli at all (especially games in prerelease), but you can always disable sli for a given game in the nvidia control panel. Plus in my totally anecdotal experience most modern games that don't sli well aren't really the kind of hi fidelity game where you need huge power anyway. 

But again, that just makes it worth it for me. Someone else might take that same statement and see a clear reason to not sli. To each his/her own.

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I've been awake all night and I laughed trying to understand this title. xD

Is it because of grammar errors in title or what?

4 hours ago, Gameborn said:

The latest dual-chip gpu from NVidia was gtx 790, and from amd is r9 295x2 (not sure about that).

I see some really old rumors about a possible GTX 790, but no product by that name that was ever released. Nvidia's last dual-GPU card was the Titan Z, I think. As someone else mentioned above, AMD's last was the Radeon Pro Duo last year, which is two Fiji XT's on one board.

There's an "R9 390X2," but I think that's just something PowerColor came up with. It doesn't seem to be based on any AMD reference.

the 790 is somethign iv never heard of, there is the Titan Z as the latest dual chip card from NVIDIA and the GTX 690 came before that. both were terible in terms of heat

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:
Spoiler

i remember when i wanted this xD

titan-z-5.jpg

titanz.jpg

I have no respect for anyone who bought a Titan-Z. Complete and utter waste of money.

ProDuoCard.thumb.jpg.355d225cffd0b4a52c683ccc9248b2ff.jpgThat however is one sexy card.

Edited by Citadelen

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Who knows a Titan Z based on Pascal or Volta would be pretty insane, I prefer these cards over sli solutions but yeah I doubt nVidia is going further with the idea.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Who knows a Titan Z based on Pascal or Volta would be pretty insane, I prefer these cards over sli solutions but yeah I doubt nVidia is going further with the idea.

So do I. A Pro Duo is much better than two Fury Xs in my opinion, you get much better power efficiency, only two slots used (I think two) and professional drivers.

Edited by Citadelen

6 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

That however is one sexy card.

Sexy until you need more than 4 GB of VRAM, which may be why AMD didn't market the Radeon Pro Duo very hard as a gaming product. The people who need two (at the time) high-end GPUs in Crossfire but no more than 4 GB is a pretty slim demographic.

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

it would suffer from the same problems with heat that the Titan Z did probably

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, typographie said:

Sexy until you need more than 4 GB of VRAM, which may be why AMD didn't market the Radeon Pro Duo very hard as a gaming product. The people who need two (at the time) high-end GPUs in Crossfire but no more than 4 GB is a pretty slim demographic.

That's not really a problem in a few titles, the rest do fine on 4GB, the others have DX12 explicit multi adapter, so they can use 8GB of VRAM.

4 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

I have no respect for anyone who bought a Titan-Z. Complete and utter waste of money.

says it while owning a FX-9590 :P

I mean people will spend absurd money on luxury items, jewels, cloths, shoes, cars, mobile phones and so on... A lot of woman including my mother for the matter will waste thousand of dollars on jewels, rocks? lol

I would prefer any day winning a super high end GPU than an useless shining rock to be honest from my boyfriend xD

4 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

So do I. A Pro Duo is much better than two Fury Xs in my opinion, you get much better power efficiency, only two slots used (I think two) and professional drivers.

Exactly, these cards aren't dead because they offer good stuff for the pure enthusiastic segment, I can't help my thing is hardware so I buy Titans card, I don't get people saying it is a rip off, like I said above WE ALL waste money on luxury stuff, why should my option for luxury which is a nVidia Titan card be seen any worse than who shops I don't know... special goat coat that costs thousands and you only wear once per year? hehe

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

15 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

it would suffer from the same problems with heat that the Titan Z did probably

TITAN-Z-70.jpg

83Cº on max load on air, it isn't that bad, it is close to what you'd expect from an overclocked Founders Edition 980ti worse scenario.

Personal Desktop":

11 minutes ago, typographie said:

1440p 144hz monitors is one place where you want high end power but rarely exceed 4gb in VRAM usage. The only thing I can think of that uses more than 4gb at 1440p (outside of crazy mods) is shadow of mordor. I have 2 970s in sli (until my 2 1080tis arrive B|) and I haven't exceeded 4gb yet (again, aside from shadows of mordor) but could definitely use more power in games like crysis 3, where I hover in the 60-90 fps range when maxed out (again, until my 2 1080tis arrive B|).

So I would say anyone with a 1440p 144hz monitor who isn't planning on migrating to 4k anytime soon is a person who could benefit from dual high end cards without needing more than 4gb of vram. Now, I'm not saying the pro duo is a good buy for 1440p 144hz gaming, I'm just saying there is a demographic for high power and <4gb vram.

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv