Persona 5 is out now! Streamers be Wary

Just now, WMGroomAK said:

Do have to admit that a lot of these games have a far bit of story and cut scenes to them that involve a good size animation team which is part of the reason that they have shows and comics based off of them...

Persona is the Metal Gear Solid of JRPGs.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

8 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Let's not release the game at all; is that your position?

Reveal hidden contents

It's idiotic if it is. 

Absolutely not, I'm saying they allow streaming/use in videos of the game in every case or they don't allow it in any case. If they censor only some videos and not others, it creates a scenario in which the company can censor criticism and promote videos which praise the game. In the past, a number of game companies have done exactly this and trampled all over content creators who want people to know their opinion about the game. I think you are taking it too personally and specifying it to this company too much. My problem is with free speech and censorship, not with their intentions or the game.

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Persona is the Metal Gear Solid of JRPGs.

Considering that Persona is a spin-off of the Megami Tensei series started back in '87, it's actually kind of impressive

Just now, Soonercoop21 said:

Absolutely not, I'm saying they allow streaming/use in videos of the game in every case or they don't allow it in any case. If they censor only some videos and not others, it creates a scenario in which the company can censor criticism and promote videos which praise the game. In the past, a number of game companies have done exactly this and trampled all over content creators who want people to know their opinion about the game. I think you are taking it too personally a specifying it to this company too much. My problem is with free speech and censorship, not with their intentions or the game.

Free speech doesn't protect you against corporations and citizens, only the gov't. They aren't censoring praise or criticism at all, they're asking the story-centric scenes be withheld until the 7th of June. If they have to put their foot down, so be it. Atlus (one of their teams approximately 60-80 people if it was anything like Persona 4) has been on this project since 2013. That's at least 2400hrs/employee. Easily into the millions of hours have been put to having this game be a well-received release among the Japanese and international communities. Why shouldn't the game be allowed to be played by the masses before the story is spoiled? There are very few instances of Youtube being a direct correlation between a game succeeding in sales and most of them aren't story based, but multiplayer-centric.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

26 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Free speech doesn't protect you against corporations and citizens, only the gov't.

I never said it did. Free speech is a principle, not just a law. I am simply stating that I have disdain for people and companies that selectively censor content. I don't care what their intentions in doing so are. I had no intention of arguing about it I was just commenting on it. You obviously are partial to this company and game so you are going to have a contrarian stance with any criticism. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Just now, Soonercoop21 said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I AM a fan of the series, but it isn't coloring my argument.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Free speech doesn't protect you against corporations and citizens, only the gov't. 

I don't know where you got this idea from, but it's a plain misconception. Free speech is a right, with some limitations as legally established. It doesn't protect you from anyone in particular, just like the right to live isn't just protecting you from being killed by the government.

Freedom of speech certainly doesn't imply an obligation to be listened, or to finance the dissemination of your ideas. But as long as you have the means to do it, no one can interfere with it except the government, and only in the cases covered by the law.

"Jim Fucking Sterling, Son" posted a Jimquisition about it a few hours ago. And I know how much some of you love him and his ideologies xD

His thoughts mirror my own, except I go further, and think that a game developer can't/shouldn't force or ask paying customers not to do anything. If a streamer wants to play through the damn thing and not talk or even show his/her face, then that should be fine. There shouldn't be a company telling them otherwise. And how far into the future does this restriction go? A year? Five? A hundred? I mean, ffs, the game's already been out since the middle of September in Japan. Spoilers have already dripped their way out to the internet and it's not going to decrease with time.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

they're asking the story-centric scenes be withheld until the 7th of June.

That's not what I read in their blog. The game has an in-game calendar, you progress by doing different things each in-game day. They don't want any content shown from beyond the in-game date of 7/7.

1 minute ago, Gaming_Groove said:

That's not what I read in their blog. The game has an in-game calendar, you progress by doing different things each in-game day. They don't want any content shown from beyond the in-game date of 7/7.

Sorry. Got that mixed up. Thanks for clarifying what was in the OP.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Kobathor said:

Yeah, on Xbox and PS4. Wonder why? Cause they can control streaming on Xbox and PS4. They threaten content creators with content claims if they upload videos to YouTube after the date, but they legally can't enforce that. They can revoke user's game access if it breaks the TOS (VERY crappy thing to do, but it's legal,) but they can't take down gameplay videos of their games if they have commentary (in the US.)

Simply having commentary doesn't come under fair use protections. (Which is why movie reviewers on youtube are much more careful about following actual fair use rules, unlike game reviewers.)

The rule is short clips of content related to your talking point are allowed.  30-60 seconds generally.  Simply commentating over bulk gameplay is not protected by fair use protections and is absolutely subject to copyright infringement claims. (No different than if someone wants to commentate over a feature length movie.)

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

typical japanese game company retardation, nothing to see here. I'll just not play your game and you can go F yourself and die for all I care.

20 hours ago, SamStrecker said:

Mr. T was a wrestler not an anime character. He also stared in shows like the A Team. I wouldn't doubt it though if he was featured in one though.

8o0ZjvP.jpg

i also like japanese cartoons, but i only watch censored japanese cartoons. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

23 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

its not about users being spoiled. Its about companies losing revenue because they can just watch the game instead of buying it.

Then it's their fault for making a game which isn't a game?

I mean, the point of a game is playing it, not watching it. Watch count is a good thing for e sports because it's a way to keep the game alive, and it's an entertainment which changes.

But for a static game, if people just want to watch it and there is no point in actually playing the game, then the dev are kinda bad at their jobs, aren't they?

41 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Then it's their fault for making a game which isn't a game?

I mean, the point of a game is playing it, not watching it. Watch count is a good thing for e sports because it's a way to keep the game alive, and it's an entertainment which changes.

But for a static game, if people just want to watch it and there is no point in actually playing the game, then the dev are kinda bad at their jobs, aren't they?

Persona has been around since the late 90s. To put it very simply its like a visual novel with rpg style game play used to tell the story. That genre of game isnt popular (it is in japan), but the Persona series is extremely popular, the whole Shin Megami Tensei is.  

Think Mass Effect without the shooting. Tons of story with lots of cutscenes.

Are you going to tell me that about mass effect as well? Plenty of people just want to watch the story, its why in the newest there is a difficulty setting that is basically 0, that way people can focus on experiencing the story.

Just because its not a game delivery method you enjoy doesnt mean any dev didn't do their job.  

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

43 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

If that what they intend to do, they can deliver it as a movies or a novel.

It is not about what I enjoy, it is about the basic principle of a game which takes into account the player as an actor, not a passive consumer. I am just giving the alternative that it isn't a good game because it is a good something else. And yes I will say that about any game which only purpose would be to be watched as a movie, because if so, it should be just delivered as a movie through the right medium.

I am all in for good narratives and stories in video games don't get me wrong, but the medium is different from books or movies because the consumer is active, and that is something a game has to take into account if it wants to be a good game. This is what makes games different.

4 hours ago, laminutederire said:

If that what they intend to do, they can deliver it as a movies or a novel.

It is not about what I enjoy, it is about the basic principle of a game which takes into account the player as an actor, not a passive consumer. I am just giving the alternative that it isn't a good game because it is a good something else. And yes I will say that about any game which only purpose would be to be watched as a movie, because if so, it should be just delivered as a movie through the right medium.

I am all in for good narratives and stories in video games don't get me wrong, but the medium is different from books or movies because the consumer is active, and that is something a game has to take into account if it wants to be a good game. This is what makes games different.

I think it's pretty ignorant on your part to have that opinion. Especially when it was noted to you that the game is a full on RPG game as well, and what many consider to be a good one.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

20 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

I think it's pretty ignorant on your part to have that opinion. Especially when it was noted to you that the game is a full on RPG game as well, and what many consider to be a good one.

It is supposed to be yes, but if people only want the story then it's not a good rpg gameplay wise

Rockstar does this with a lot of their games, kinda surprised some devs are still so backwards with streaming

22 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

Rockstar does this with a lot of their games, kinda surprised some devs are still so backwards with streaming

Rockstar doesn't want the story streamed?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler