Mastodon - a free, open-source decentralized social network server

Created by Eugen Rochko (@Gargron) because he was annoyed with Twitter and it's series of change, Mastodon is a "Twitter like" social network (with a TweetDeck inspired design) that anyone can host on his dedicated server but instead having separated websites with no link or only one big website, every Mastodon Server (called instances) can be linked with another simply by following another person from another instance.

The initial launch was 6 months ago but this week, an important french community joined this project, creating their own instances and their accounts. This created an overload on the official Mastodon server, Mastodon.social, that forced his admin and creator to close (temporarily?) registrations. In 48h, more than 30 000 users registered on the main server, causing huge slowdowns and crashes. Hopefully, because of the decentralized structure, anyone have been able to register on another instance and still see every Toots (Tweet equivalent) from Mastodon.social.

To easily find another Mastodon instance, @TheKinrar, the hoster of the 2nd most used instance Mastodon.xyz, created a tool, Instances.Mastodon.xyz, that shows a list of instances with useful infos like how many users are registered, if it's opened to registrations, uptime, HTTPS security level and IPv6 support.

This have been covered by a lot of french medias like Le Monde, 20Minutes.frNumerama, Korben.info and also by The Verge.

Unfortunately, Mastodon is not quite user-friendly because of it's unusual "way to do things". That's why another user @Fawn created a helping guide called MastoGuide.info that explains a lot of things specific to Mastodon like instances, how to mention a user that is not on your instance...

Mastodon have a lot of functionalities and it would take too much time (and lines) to explain so you can read the official user guide on GitHub and MastoGuide.info.

Sources: GitHub Repo The Verge Le Monde 20Minutes.fr Numerama Korben.info

Side note: Because I'm French, my English is not perfect. So if you see some typos, let me know !

Mastodon.Social main page.png

Not called Mamoswine, not caring. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

This is definitely an interesting idea.  If I didn't despise social media, I might join.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

14 minutes ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

This is definitely an interesting idea.  If I didn't despise social media, I might join.

This is the biggest launch of an alternative and open-source social network (as far as I know) so it shows that people are interested. But I keep in mind that it could be a trend for some weeks/months and then disappears as fast as it came.

Cool idea, but it won't ever be accepted by the ideal user (former/current users of twitter). I would expect this to quietly disappear into the background soon.

40 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Cool idea, but it won't ever be accepted by the ideal user (former/current users of twitter). I would expect this to quietly disappear into the background soon.

i agree, the idea of not having one place for a thing isn't one most people can understand and accept. Try explain bitcoins to your parents.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, vorticalbox said:

i agree, the idea of not having one place for a thing isn't one most people can understand and accept. Try explain bitcoins to your parents.

My parents can't understand that they don't have to close the entire Chrome to open a new website. I'd never be able to explain imaginary encrypted money to them.

Just now, vorticalbox said:

Actually, the easiest way we found is to compare Mastodon as a Mail server, you can have your account on @gmail.com and still communicate with someone at @hotmail.com

I like it, but looks too complicated for the average Joe. Minds is much simpler, but the main advantage of this is that it's not centralized.

Edited by matrix07012
grammar
Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Wasn't a thread about this previously locked? Are you personally affiliated with this company? If so that'd be against the CoC to basically advertise here.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I thought Mastodon latest album is free.. :( 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

going to become like one of reddit's 'competitors'

dead and unused, lonely forever. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

20 minutes ago, themctipers said:

going to become like one of reddit's 'competitors'

dead and unused, lonely forever. 

It's intended to compete with Twitter, not Reddit.

Just now, Jade said:

It's intended to compete with Twitter, not Reddit.

reread what i wrote

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.