2 Coaxle routers on one line in

Johnathon

in my home network i have an ISP Supplied Cable router and an older Verizon cable router i wanted to hook up along side it to a splitter with my main router. so i can have one router with a static IP For a home server or other general stuff and my main being left alone settings wise. is it possible or would i need to have my ISP Setup a second line in.

Intel G4560

EVGA 1050Ti OC'd to 1895Mhz Core

4GB Avexir core series DDR4-2400Mhz

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

your router doesn't plug into the coax, it pluggs into the modem

If you want 2 modems, you need to pay for an extra internet connections.,

... if you are going to be a term nazi then i have two cable MODEM's(switch accesspoint router all in one box) and what happens if i plug a coax into a second modem and into the ISP Supplied one, will it simply not work or will the ISP Gods strike a banhammer on my Internet

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

I don't believe you can split one coax to two modems, but Linus had a product in the past that could make two into one for faster speeds, I forget the brand. 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Just now, Xanthe_2871 said:

I don't believe you can split one coax to two modems, but Linus had a product in the past that could make two into one for faster speeds, I forget the brand. 

damn.

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

It won't work, the second modem won't be authorized on the network and thus won't be provisioned so nothing will happen. The Verizon modem probably also won't plain work on a different ISPs network anyway due to lack of support, unless by some miracle it's a brand that your current ISP supports.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

It won't work, the second modem won't be authorized on the network and thus won't be provisioned so nothing will happen. The Verizon modem probably also won't plain work on a different ISPs network anyway.

its actually manufactured by some other company but i cant remember the name of it. its just got verizon branding on it although firmware wise its probably able to work on any network. and if not thats nothing a firmware flash wont fix.

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

Just now, Johnathon said:

its actually manufactured by some other company but i cant remember the name of it. its just got verizon branding on it although firmware wise its probably able to work on any network. and if not thats nothing a firmware flash wont fix.

Well that's the thing, almost all ISPs have a set list of modems they will allow on their network. If it's not on the supported list they don't have firmware for it the device and as such won't allow it on their network even if you did buy a second line.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Well that's the thing, almost all ISPs have a set list of modems they will allow on their network. If it's not on the supported list they don't have firmware for it the device and as such won't allow it on their network even if you did buy a second line.

well that's autistic. TIME TO WAIT FOR GOOGLE FIBER /s

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

well that's autistic. TIME TO WAIT FOR GOOGLE FIBER /s

It makes sense, if you as an ISP can't validate that a modem will operate the way your network is setup why should you allow it on the network to begin with. If you can't control how the system will provision the modem then people can do whatever they want and wreck havoc all over the place. It will be madness I tell ya! MADNESS!!!!

Google fiber is somewhat the same but you have more options, you either use their router or buy a device that can mark all packets with a specific QoS value (I believe its a QoS value of 2)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

It makes sense, if you as an ISP can't validate that a modem will operate the way your network is setup why should you allow it on the network to begin with. If you can't control how the system will provision the modem then people can do whatever they want and wreck havoc all over the place. It will be madness I tell ya! MADNESS!!!!

Google fiber is somewhat the same but you have more options, you either use their router or buy a device that can mark all packets with a specific QoS value (I believe its a QoS value of 2)

Point just missed its target by 200 miles. Lol.

if someone has the brains to buy a coax router and a second line then if they don't know how to set it up then that's their fault, there should be no reason to have to buy a new modem and second line just to setup a home server on a static IP Without fucking with the rest of my houses internet.

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

3 minutes ago, Johnathon said:

Point just missed its target by 200 miles. Lol.

if someone has the brains to buy a coax router and a second line then if they don't know how to set it up then that's their fault, there should be no reason to have to buy a new modem and second line just to setup a home server on a static IP Without fucking with the rest of my houses internet.

I get your point, I'm talking about from an ISPs perspective, they certify that X, Y, and Z will work on their network and their infrastructure can support and provision them properly. If they let any modem on the network then that's more support they have to provide, more firmware they have to certify, and more time they have to spend which costs them more money. From a consumer perspective it does suck to have to spend more money and time for more lines and equipment at the same time.

Also, static IPs cost extra and usually only come with business class lines, so even if you did get a second line you'd have to go business class for a true static IP.

*TWC and others usually bind an IP to the MAC of the router behind it so if that doesn't change then you usually have a "static" IP, not exactly the same but close enough usually.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

I get your point, I'm talking about from an ISPs perspective, they certify that X, Y, and Z will work on their network and their infrastructure can support and provision them properly. If they let any modem on the network then that's more support they have to provide, more firmware they have to certify, and more time they have to spend which costs them more money.

Also, static IPs cost extra and usually only come with business class lines, so even if you did get a second line you'd have to go business class for a true static IP.

*TWC and others usually bind an IP to the MAC of the router behind it so if that doesn't change then you usually have a "static" IP, not exactly the same but close enough usually.

Im talking about in the firmware setting an IP And DNS To static

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

Im talking about in the firmware setting an IP And DNS To static

So you're talking about a private IP address then for the server?

Just want to make sure we're on the same page, lol.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

So you're talking about a private IP address then for the server?

Just want to make sure we're on the same page, lol.

Yes, i wanted to use the Built in windows FTP/Website hosting bits to host screenshots and other misc files . simple drag n drop, more privacy and control etc you should get the picture

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

26 minutes ago, Johnathon said:

... if you are going to be a term nazi then i have two cable MODEM's(switch accesspoint router all in one box) and what happens if i plug a coax into a second modem and into the ISP Supplied one, will it simply not work or will the ISP Gods strike a banhammer on my Internet

you have to enable them with the isp, and they will only allow one modem to be enabled at once

Yes, i wanted to use the Built in windows FTP/Website hosting bits to host screenshots and other misc files . simple drag n drop, more privacy and control etc you should get the picture

Ah! Okay. I was thinking you wanted a public IP address, in which case you would need a separate line for all of that. What model router/modem do you have? There is usually a way to bind a static IP to a MAC address in the GUI somewhere, so that way you could have an internal static address and all without needing the second modem and then you can port forward as well to that internal IP address.

The other option is to assign a static IP address on the device itself but just set it outside the DHCP range and then port forward to the internal IP the same as previously mentioned.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Ah! Okay. I was thinking you wanted a public IP address, in which case you would need a separate line for all of that. What model router/modem do you have? There is usually a way to bind a static IP to a MAC address in the GUI somewhere, so that way you could have an internal static address and all without needing the second modem and then you can port forward as well to that internal IP address.

The other option is to assign a static IP address on the device itself but just set it outside the DHCP range and then port forward to the internal IP the same as previously mentioned.

Not sure, Will edit with Model number.

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

Arris TG1862

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

2 minutes ago, Johnathon said:

Arris TG1862

Should be pretty similar to, if not exactly the same as, this guide here:

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/TG862G-NA-IP-Address-Reserve-Setup/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle

Full Manual:

https://www.liwest.at/fileadmin/templates/main/liwest/media/pdf_content/rund-um-Betreuung/ARRIS_Router_Setup_Web_GUI_UG.pdf

(Port Forwarding should be on Page 74)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

12 minutes ago, Lurick said:

i already know basic networking (Port forwarding ect) i just want to be able to access the server from anywhere. which is why i wanted to set a static IP.

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

1 hour ago, Johnathon said:

No offence but those terms are important because they do tell us what devices you have. It will not work. Why? Because you ISP has to authorize the mdoem on their network. They will NOT allow you to put a second modem on your account with out paying for service twice. If anything they might require a second account to be created in order to allow this, if they even would. 

Second of all, we are trying to help, we help by educating you on these terms, because this way we understand what you are trying to do. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

14 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

No offence but those terms are important because they do tell us what devices you have. It will not work. Why? Because you ISP has to authorize the mdoem on their network. They will NOT allow you to put a second modem on your account with out paying for service twice. If anything they might require a second account to be created in order to allow this, if they even would. 

Second of all, we are trying to help, we help by educating you on these terms, because this way we understand what you are trying to do. 

Beating a dead horse at this point.

Intel G4560

16GB HyperX DDR4-2400Mhz

3 hours ago, Lurick said:

It won't work, the second modem won't be authorized on the network and thus won't be provisioned so nothing will happen. The Verizon modem probably also won't plain work on a different ISPs network anyway due to lack of support, unless by some miracle it's a brand that your current ISP supports.

3 hours ago, Johnathon said:

3 hours ago, Lurick said:

Depending on your Verizon Rep, they may or may not allow two modems to be provisioned on the same account. This is due to security practices that would prevent someone from registering two modems on their account, then giving the second modem to their friend across the street. If a building is serviced over Coax by a provider, usually you can hookup your modem and it'll "just work" even if it's not your address, so you can see how this would let people steal internet service easily.

What you might be able to do though is have Verizon provision you a second IP address on your account, and put your modem into Bridge mode. This is exactly the setup I have with my ISP in West Canada. We have a Cisco DCP3848v modem that has 4 Ethernet ports, and it's running in Bridge mode. My ISP has provisioned 2 IP addresses, so my Netgear R7000 router gets one IP, and an older Dell OptiPlex 780 gets another IP to function as a server of sorts.

As for flashing your cable modem, well, good luck. Modems capable of the DOCSIS 3.0 spec have not yet had their encryption and key signing functions broken. These are required for firmware updates and provisioning rules that get pushed down from your ISP, and are very thorough since people figured out how to hack Motorola SB5101 modems into giving them faster speeds than they were paying for.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

your router doesn't plug into the coax, it pluggs into the modem

If you want 2 modems, you need to pay for an extra internet connections.,

sorry wizard here in the usa most isp use all in one units.

as long as the coaxial cable itself between the 2 devices have separate frequencies on the line their will be minimal issue (youtube moca alliance see moca 2.0 standard)

but regardless this is not plug and play scenario

verizon will certaintly clash with the other companies signals which will be seen by the neighbors on the same cable line either as poor tv channel reception or poor network performance

now in my local area cable line is quiet above 1200mhz mark so you could splice another signal in but if you fail to filter the demarcation point then everyone on that node will hear you

please everyone look up M.O.C.A.  multimedia over cable alliance

ive tried to get linus to do a video on this and have not seen one yet

also tried get him to redo his office with moca but....