Car Insurance

Maihym

Does anyone know of any cheap car insurance in California? I got my mom's old car and now we need insurance for me to drive it. I'm not 18 yet so I can't open up my own policy so I'll have to open a policy with my mom. Does anyone know what insurance company I should go with? I'm just looking for liability so I can at least drive the car.

Geico? Don't they have good car insurance?

But they do have funny ads, that's for sure.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Im with Progressive. It costs me a little over $1060 a year for full coverage on a 2006 Ford Focus. Now I would like to add that I live in Wayne County MI, which has the highest insurance rates in the state. Due to people who dont give two fucks and the car jackings down in Detroit. For me Progressive is the cheapest. Im guessing your going to PLPD and not full coverage. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

26 minutes ago, Maihym said:

Does anyone know of any cheap car insurance in California?

If you're just going for cheap, there are some that you pay $5-$10 a month for that you can't expect any help from. They're just there for the legal purposes and not really to insure. e-surance and this other one I forgot the name of are along those lines maybe. There's also General you could look into. The cheap ones don't have commercials though since that costs money and they're cheap in every aspect.

But you should dump those when you start driving and get yourself some serious insurance.

25 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

but did you know 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance?

linus sex tips

get quotes from multiple companies. The prices vary a ton from person to person, so a company that may be giving a friend of yours a good deal may absolutely shaft you for your insurance. Also, if its an old car that is not worth much, id say just get liability as its pretty easy to end up paying more for insurance than the actual car is worth when going for full coverage.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Your probably need to contact an insurance broker so they can shop around for you, then later in life get better insurance when you get better things. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

3 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I don't know that's why I'm asking.

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Im with Progressive. It costs me a little over $1060 a year for full coverage on a 2006 Ford Focus. Now I would like to add that I live in Wayne County MI, which has the highest insurance rates in the state. Due to people who dont give two fucks and the car jackings down in Detroit. For me Progressive is the cheapest. Im guessing your going to PLPD and not full coverage. 

I don't know what PLPD is and as I said in the first post I'm only looking for liability that way I can actually drive the car.

2 hours ago, MaxBunny said:

If you're just going for cheap, there are some that you pay $5-$10 a month for that you can't expect any help from. They're just there for the legal purposes and not really to insure. e-surance and this other one I forgot the name of are along those lines maybe. There's also General you could look into. The cheap ones don't have commercials though since that costs money and they're cheap in every aspect.

But you should dump those when you start driving and get yourself some serious insurance.

Sorry I didn't mention but the car is a 2003 Toyota Corolla. I'm just looking to actually be able to drive it.

2 hours ago, bob345 said:

get quotes from multiple companies. The prices vary a ton from person to person, so a company that may be giving a friend of yours a good deal may absolutely shaft you for your insurance. Also, if its an old car that is not worth much, id say just get liability as its pretty easy to end up paying more for insurance than the actual car is worth when going for full coverage.

I would agree with that but where would you suggest I start looking? We've received some quotes and most are just outrageous especially because my mom won't even be driving the car.

2 hours ago, Gix7Fifty said:

Your probably need to contact an insurance broker so they can shop around for you, then later in life get better insurance when you get better things. 

Insurance brokers cost money though right? Money is fairly tight at the moment so I'll just try and shop around myself.

1 hour ago, divito said:

Any reason to not use your mom's? 

My mom's what? Insurance? She told me that I have to pay for my own insurance if I'm going to be driving. She's not going to help me pay for anything. Or did you mean her car? Either way I would need insurance.

Just google map car insurance and find a broker.

They'll pair you with a company no ones ever heard of.

If you hit a car your insurance will probably only pay a fraction, leaving you with the rest. :T Edit:and you'll have no car

1 minute ago, Maihym said:

I don't know what PLPD is and as I said in the first post I'm only looking for liability that way I can actually drive the car.

I believe the term is Personal Liability and Property Damage. Its the lowest form of Insurance you can legally get here in Michigan. Its also known as No Fault Insurance. 

4 minutes ago, WindirBear said:

Just google map car insurance and find a broker.

They'll pair you with a company no ones ever heard of.

If you hit a car your insurance will probably only pay a fraction, leaving you with the rest. :T Edit:and you'll have no car

Well I won't have a car if I don't have insurance anyways.

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I believe the term is Personal Liability and Property Damage. Its the lowest form of Insurance you can legally get here in Michigan. Its also known as No Fault Insurance. 

Would it be worth it to purchase anything higher? I mean it is a fairly old car but idk.

2 minutes ago, Maihym said:

Fuck, at least you're getting a form of insurance. So many scum people here in cali without it.

Just now, WindirBear said:

Fuck, at least you're getting a form of insurance. So many scum people here in cali without it.

Well maybe not if it's fucking expensive. Of course it would be cheaper for me to have my own policy but nope, not 18. So how the fuck can I afford to do the 60 hours requirement for my permit. It makes no sense. Plus I need to pay $200 for stupid mandatory behind the wheel driver's training when someone that's 18 doesn't even need to get a permit.

48 minutes ago, Maihym said:

Would it be worth it to purchase anything higher? I mean it is a fairly old car but idk.

If its a really old car then no. 

47 minutes ago, WindirBear said:

Is it required by law? He in Michigan you have to have insurance. If you get pulled over the police ask for license, registration and proof of insurance. I know some people here get insurance for a month and drop it later. This is because you need insurance to get plates on a car. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Is it required by law? He in Michigan you have to have insurance. If you get pulled over the police ask for license, registration and proof of insurance. I know some people here get insurance for a month and drop it later. This is because you need insurance to get plates on a car. 

Yup it is. People, adults still drive without insurance.

10 hours ago, Maihym said:

My mom's what? Insurance? She told me that I have to pay for my own insurance if I'm going to be driving. She's not going to help me pay for anything. Or did you mean her car? Either way I would need insurance.

I mean, the insurance company she uses. Companies usually will offer discounts if you have multiple family members with plans. She could be on your policy until you're 18 and then you can remove her from it. 

As others have said, it's fine to get quotes and everything, but checking her company as well and if they offer any of those discounts would be a good way to go.

54 minutes ago, divito said:

I mean, the insurance company she uses. Companies usually will offer discounts if you have multiple family members with plans. She could be on your policy until you're 18 and then you can remove her from it. 

As others have said, it's fine to get quotes and everything, but checking her company as well and if they offer any of those discounts would be a good way to go.

But the thing is that she's not worried about getting insurance right now so she's not even looking. Also I don't live with her so some insurance agencies won't insure the vehicle. So I've decided to try to go on my grandparent's policy because we already got a quote from them and saw that it wouldn't be that expensive to add me so we'll see how it goes.

7 hours ago, Maihym said:

But the thing is that she's not worried about getting insurance right now so she's not even looking. Also I don't live with her so some insurance agencies won't insure the vehicle. So I've decided to try to go on my grandparent's policy because we already got a quote from them and saw that it wouldn't be that expensive to add me so we'll see how it goes.

Thats a good plan. They tend to charge old people less. Once I turned 25 my insurance became more affordable. If your under 25 and male, the insurance companies will bend you over and fuck you. Because of your age and gender. I feel thats discrimination and should be illegal, but yeah. Also, look at building your credit score up. Insurance companies are known for using credit scores to dictate how much they charge. 

But mayhem is everywhere. Get Allstate.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

But mayhem is everywhere. Get Allstate.

Thats Allstate's stand. Are you in good hands? LOL loved those commercials. 

23 hours ago, Maihym said:

Does anyone know of any cheap car insurance in California? I got my mom's old car and now we need insurance for me to drive it. I'm not 18 yet so I can't open up my own policy so I'll have to open a policy with my mom. Does anyone know what insurance company I should go with? I'm just looking for liability so I can at least drive the car.

Good luck with cheap insurance. Your under 26 and male....and live in California.  To give you an idea I love in Miami Florida and for my daily driver, a 2005 Saab 9-2x, I spend 155 a month for full coverage with a 500 dollar deductible. And I'm 37 and married. When I was 21 and got that car I had to pay 378 a month for insurance. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

Insurance rates are primarily based on age.

Driving History is a big factor. Any accidents, speeeding tickets, moving infractions.

The younger you are the more costly it is. It starts to even out at 26 years old.

Then its what vehicle you are insuring, engine HP, safety, weight.

Next up is geographical area, you live in NYC its going to be higher then the country-side of shitsville USA.

Type of insurance, do you want full coverage, theft, how much coverage? $2M is average, or the minimum required by law $250,000.

I would say you are starting off at $1500usd per year, if you take drivers ed it goes down and is well worth the extra cost.

There are so many drivers out there that are complete morons. Taxi drivers are the absolute worst on the roads. I find immigrants, old farts and women tend to be horrible parkers and drivers. Thats me visually watching stupid fucks doing idiotic shit while on the road.