Sandy bridge vs kaby lake laptop

I have a Asus u46sv which has a i5-2410m cpu and gtx 540m which has been upgraded to 8 gb ram and a crucial 500 gb ssd. I used to have a gaming pc and Play games on the laptop. However I have sold the pc and do not have time to play games after getting a baby in the family. More like it is impossible for me to game except for on the tablet. 

I  was wondering if the performance gap between my pc and something like a xps 13 is far enough warranting an upgrade? My 13" laptop does come with a Dvd rw though the battery will only last 3 hours though for what I am using now, seems enough. Though I noticed that the loading times after the windows 10 free upgrade seems slightly slow. I am not sure if it is Windows or my ssd starting to fail. 

2 minutes ago, mystvean said:

I have a Asus u46sv which has a i5-2410m cpu and gtx 540m which has been upgraded to 8 gb ram and a crucial 500 gb ssd. I used to have a gaming pc and Play games on the laptop. However I have sold the pc and do not have time to play games after getting a baby in the family. More like it is impossible for me to game except for on the tablet. 

I  was wondering if the performance gap between my pc and something like a xps 13 is far enough warranting an upgrade? My 13" laptop does come with a Dvd rw though the battery will only last 3 hours though for what I am using now, seems enough. Though I noticed that the loading times after the windows 10 free upgrade seems slightly slow. I am not sure if it is Windows or my ssd starting to fail. 

When to upgrade really depends on what you need to justify it.

However, I think the power efficiency between the generations might be worth it for me (along with the screen)

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

7 minutes ago, mystvean said:

I  was wondering if the performance gap between my pc and something like a xps 13 is far enough warranting an upgrade?

I would say it's a huge performance gap.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7200U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2410M/m153577vs2769
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7500U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2410M/m171274vs2769
As you can see even compared to ULV Kaby Lake CPUs, the performance gap is still huge.

Not to mention that laptop GPUs also have huge performance increase.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 minutes ago, mystvean said:

Though I noticed that the loading times after the windows 10 free upgrade seems slightly slow.

It's normal

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Thanks all for the reply. How much secs/minutes does synthetic benchmarks equate to real life usage?

Just now, mystvean said:

Thanks all for the reply. How much secs/minutes does synthetic benchmarks equate to real life usage?

It's hard to tell, the more impact would be the SSD 

10 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

It's hard to tell, the more impact would be the SSD 

Is there a benchmark I could run and compare it say to a current system and get real world results?

2 hours ago, mystvean said:

Is there a benchmark I could run and compare it say to a current system and get real world results?

wat do you mean real world results??? like how fast your computer boots? and how smooth it is running something??? In all honestly, your current laptop is properly tuned and had a battery replacement would be close to real world usage to anything ULV in the current gen. Shift the turbo bins up, repaste voila, performance gap closed. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

4 hours ago, mystvean said:

Benchmarks probably won't be able to show you it, but it just feels so much more streamlined. 

You know when you click on the button to remove your usb, then you have to wait 30s to get the menu to show up?

Once I got my SSD it basically just appeared immediately.

Mostly just improving boot time and OS responsiveness, but holy crap are SSDs good.

You may think that I'm fanboying over SSDs(yes I am) but it's justified. I can assure you.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

I am using an SSD with this laptop. 500 GB. I agree with you there. Is only the CPU, GPU and ram speed bottleneck which I need to know if there is a difference.

On 4/1/2017 at 10:15 AM, mystvean said:

Yes. The upgrade is well worth it. The difference between battery life alone from Sandy to Kaby is worth it.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260