Windows 7 or 8.1

itrue21

I am looking for an OS for gaming. As everyone keeps saying they hate windows 8/8.1 so much I have been doing some research that gives them no reason to say that. I think people just hate the new OS cause it seems to fit the bill for a tablet or phone but for gaming wise, I have search up info that proves for some games it actually run better than windows 7. What is everyone's opinion on this and what would be better for gaming?

Go with 8, and then upgrade to 8.1 when they start beta testing. 

Error: 410

I have 8.1, There is nothing to hate. You can not love the start menu that much. I never used it, no point. Hit the windows key, type something and the search menu pops up, and everything you want is there. Much faster.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

8.1 is already released. Beta testing was earlier this year.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

What do you mean "beta" testing?

I am a happy wuffy

8.1 is already released. Beta testing was earlier this year.

What do you mean "beta" testing?

With the flood of bugs and problems that people had with 8.1 release it sounded more like an alpha launch, it was more a jab at 8.1. 

Error: 410

I would go with Windows 8.1 as it gives you better performance in games and DX 11.2 is supported which future games might use.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

BF4 beta (now full game but I only played beta), and i'm sure the full game it made a difference between 8 and 7. 7 had lot's of reports of stutter and bad performance. While 8/8.1 had no stuttering and no big dips. 30+ all the time (if you have the gpu because of dx11.2 vs 11)

Plus 8.1 loads faster, and is just better.

Linus and Logan (teksyndicate) are my 2 main channels for tech, but my god are they so against 8.1 isn't sad. They are stuck in the past. It is better in every way. 8.1 is the best OS out there.

windows 7 i went to windows 8 before it was released and then i went when it was the official launch and i did 8.1 beta and 8.1 recently and every time ive gone back to windows 7 i just cant use 8 it frustrates me all the clicks etc just to get to a place that would take me 2 seconds on windows 7 and constantly clicking the start button and metro coming up is so god damn annoying i dont like metro i dont like windows 8 if i was u i would stick with 7 until 9 comes out which is suppose to be not far away.

Go with Windows 8.1, It's awesome.

It takes about a month to get used to it, on average, but once you pass that (it's just a steeper learner curve than previous version of Windows), it becomes enjoyable to use.

I am looking for an OS for gaming. As everyone keeps saying they hate windows 8/8.1 so much I have been doing some research that gives them no reason to say that. I think people just hate the new OS cause it seems to fit the bill for a tablet or phone but for gaming wise, I have search up info that proves for some games it actually run better than windows 7. What is everyone's opinion on this and what would be better for gaming?

I personally will stay with Windows 7.  But either will perform well for you.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

8.1 with classic shell

8.1 its now been proven in the new gen games they gain like 5-10fps over Windows 7 (how much of this up to dx11.2 im not sure)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

8.1 with classic shell

I 2nd this I actually have an entire company running 8.1 workstations and i have less problems than i do with the 3 windows 7 workstations i have yet to replace.

go with 8 and wait a bit and then upgrade to 8.1 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Just get windows 8 pro, since 8.1 update is free no need to pay an extra 10 dollar unless you want to display the discs or something. Suggesting windows 7 at this time is just pointless and foolish.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

windows 7 i went to windows 8 before it was released and then i went when it was the official launch and i did 8.1 beta and 8.1 recently and every time ive gone back to windows 7 i just cant use 8 it frustrates me all the clicks etc just to get to a place that would take me 2 seconds on windows 7 and constantly clicking the start button and metro coming up is so god damn annoying i dont like metro i dont like windows 8 if i was u i would stick with 7 until 9 comes out which is suppose to be not far away.

why wait for windows 9?  you do realize that WIN 9 will unfortunately be exactly like win 8.1 with a few features and tweaks here and there....right??   it will take only a miracle for Microsoft to see the error of their ways and change windows UI back like win7 but with better visuals and performance.....similar to what Ubuntu is.  Now!! I don't mind windows 8 as much if I was using a touch screen but since I'm only using a wireless keyboard/mouse....NO WAY!!

why wait for windows 9?  you do realize that WIN 9 will unfortunately be exactly like win 8.1 with a few features and tweaks here and there....right??   it will take only a miracle for Microsoft to see the error of their ways and change windows UI back like win7 but with better visuals and performance.....similar to what Ubuntu is.  Now!! I don't mind windows 8 as much if I was using a touch screen but since I'm only using a wireless keyboard/mouse....NO WAY!!

yea maybe they will have learnt and made a desktop version and a touch version like windows rt or maybe it will give us a start button and the choice to remove metro completely and even then in windows 9 they would have fixed the terrible bugs in windows 8 to do with games crashing etc also by windows 9 we might all be on linux or mac like look at the predictions for 2016 or something more computers are suppose to be osx then windows atleast now he can have a stable os that wont cause him problems.

I think there are few reasons to upgrade from windows 7 to 8. But I think it makes sense to get the most recent when considering a new system.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

yea maybe they will have learnt and made a desktop version and a touch version like windows rt or maybe it will give us a start button and the choice to remove metro completely and even then in windows 9 they would have fixed the terrible bugs in windows 8 to do with games crashing etc also by windows 9 we might all be on linux or mac like look at the predictions for 2016 or something more computers are suppose to be osx then windows atleast now he can have a stable os that wont cause him problems.

I seriously doubt it!  Microsoft roots go way too deep for everyone to switch.  All software/game developers have to make the switch also including full global hardware support for either osx or linux to initiate a massive exodus. 

I seriously doubt it!  Microsoft roots go way too deep for everyone to switch.  All software/game developers have to make the switch also including full global hardware support for either osx or linux to initiate a massive exodus. 

im not saying it will im just saying it could like look at steam moving to linux and mantle coming in means no direct x plus the fact that osx and linux are so similar and i think dell is shipping laptops with ubuntu in some countries to think that majority of users are using linux or osx isnt as ludicrous as it sounded a few years ago.

for main gamer / workstation Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.

for laptops / netbooks etc Windows 8.1 is ok, but personally i still prefer w7

got to love Asus components

I use 7 64bit Ultimate (Its the most reliable OS, atleast for me) for my desktop and 8 pro (from dreamspark) for my laptop- it does yield better performance than with win7 and it saves the batter quite alot more..

Go with what you like best, since OS is what you'll have to deal with every day when it comes to problems and such.

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS