Should I upgrade my CPU?

...CUDA acceleration is possible.

I agree with this. Also keep in mind you can enable CUDA support in Premiere for almost any Nvidia card since the 2XX series by adding it to the cuda_supported_cards.txt file in the Premiere folder. But CUDA support is only used for rendering the preview while you work, decoding or encoding is still 100% CPU based. I enabled CUDA support for my 660Ti, but I'll admit, I just got into Premiere CS6 and I'm still doing entry level stuff.

I would honestly go the 4770K and Z87 route. Hell, that x79 workstation board is $500 by itself. You could always overclock the 4770K too.

This chart shows the 4770K just behind the 3930K in Premiere encoding times. Granted, this chart doesn't have the Ive Bridge-E CPU's on it, but still, i can't see the 4930K being that far ahead of the 3930K

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

I agree with this. Also keep in mind you can enable CUDA support in Premiere for almost any Nvidia card since the 2XX series by adding it to the cuda_supported_cards.txt file in the Premiere folder. But CUDA support is only used for rendering the preview while you work, decoding or encoding is still 100% CPU based. I enabled CUDA support for my 660Ti, but I'll admit, I just got into Premiere CS6 and I'm still doing entry level stuff.

I would honestly go the 4770K and Z87 route. Hell, that x79 workstation board is $500 by itself. You could always overclock the 4770K too.

This chart shows the 4770K just behind the 3930K in Premiere encoding times. Granted, this chart doesn't have the Ive Bridge-E CPU's on it, but still, i can't see the 4930K being that far ahead of the 3930K

Heck, the difference between the 3930k and the 8350 is just 45 seconds! I don't think 45 secondes are worth the price difference... The 8350 with Cuda seems to be the better route for editing. Is it the same for gaming?

Consider that the 8350 + Crosshair is much, much cheaper than a 4770k + z87 WS.

If haswell refresh is that good, sure.

If you're just doing that your current gpu + a 8350 should be plenty. Do you not have a ssd yet?

The thing is the crosshair is PCIe 2.0,will bottleneck a CUDA card.Furthermore the FX suck lots of power.

Yes, I am currently running a 120Gb Patriot Wildfire. The quadro was to compensate for the lack of Cuda performance of the GTX 680. You're saying that the GTX 680 is powerful enough in terms of Cuda acceleration?

You should be able to unlock it. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/14186-how-to-get-nvidia-cuda-support-in-adobe-creative-suite-6-for-gtx-gpus/

Heck, the difference between the 3930k and the 8350 is just 45 seconds! I don't think 45 secondes are worth the price difference... The 8350 with Cuda seems to be the better route for editing. Is it the same for gaming?

The 8350 is great for gaming. Not sure about the exact differences. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The thing is the crosshair is PCIe 2.0,will bottleneck a CUDA card.Furthermore the FX suck lots of power.

It won't bottleneck much if at all.

FX doesn't take that much more power than the i7's at load.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It won't bottleneck much if at all.

FX doesn't take that much more power than the i7's at load.

We can stop comforting ourselves that PCIe 2.0 is still great.The fact is it does bottleneck,period.Why must we not allow the full potential of a CUDA card?

The i7-3930 is 21% faster than the FX-8350 in that benchmark. Given that Haswell is roughly 8-10% faster that 21% gap widens significantly. In fact I suspect that if one does all the math, the difference in performance between the FX-8350 and i7-4770 is about the same % as the price difference.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

You should be able to unlock it. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/14186-how-to-get-nvidia-cuda-support-in-adobe-creative-suite-6-for-gtx-gpus/

The 8350 is great for gaming. Not sure about the exact differences. 

My GTX 680 is perfectly recognized by the software, it's just that the Cuda performance of the GTX 680 is quite poor compared to it's gaming horsepower. I want something that has a lot of Cuda horsepower if I am going wih the 8350. Also, one thing drawing me back from going z87, the freaking color scheme. My system is all black and UV blue. Throwing a golden WS board in there would not look good at all...

Is the difference of price between the 4930k and the 8350 worth the extra performance in heavy video editing work? And what about games? Will I see a big difference between those two in games like BF4 and Arma 3?

I dont know if I'd go AMD unless you really want to save money, the 4770k will really help a lot in editing, but the 8320/50 will deliver on par gaming performance for less

I've been running on my trusty 1055t for almost 4 years now. It served me really well and I was able to achieve an overclock of 4Ghz on it. However, I think it's time for an upgrade. I've upgraded my GPU to a GTX 680 4GB about a year ago and I've had the feeling since then that my CPU was holding me back. It's even worse when it comes down to content creation. I bought this chip when it got out because at the time I needed a editing workstation on a budget. The benchmarks that I am seeing nowadays show my 1055t getting absolutely crushed by modern top tier CPUs. That's without talking about the slowdowns I witness while playing Battlefield 4 and heavy CPU based games like Arma 3 and Total War Rome II. That's what made me think that it was the time for me to make a significant upgrade to my workstation. The only thing is, I don't know if I should go with:

Asus Z87-WS with a 4770k

or

Asus X79-E WS with a 4820k or even a 4930k

Those are pretty much my two options right now. Other than that I would need to wait for another generation to come out (x99??). What should I do? Go with the 4770k and the Z87-WS, with the 2011 option, or wait for the new chipset to come out with Haswell-E??

any slowdowns you get in modern games wont be down to your cpu and itll get trounced by top tier cpus now in the same way it was then, it didnt match a 2600k/i7 980x but it didnt cost the same so nothing has changed except maybe your needs in which case its a scenario of not buying something you probably should have, that might sound negotive but I dont mean it to be, id love a 1055t at this point, im not bottlenecked by this phenom quad yet but 50% more cores in rendering seems like a ncie idea but I would say you're only just behind something like an 8350.

personally i would (and i am looking to do) get a 4930k and the rampage iv extreme black edition OR the asus p9x79 ws if you really need the extra lanes.

oh to clarify, pcie2.0 shouldnt bottleneck anything, the 8320 is £116 and when overclocked to 8350 specs should match/beat a 4770k in rendering but for 60% less money, most haswells run around 70-80 degree's where most amd users tend not to run over 65 (heck i'd get freaked at 60)

adobe is mainly focus'd on per core performance and clock speed, thier recommended requirements vary from 2ghz pentium4's to core2 duo's...

other programs have the 8350 nagging at the heels of the 4770k though i would say if your budget minded you should get an 8320 and overclock adn youll get similar gaming and encoding performance to a 4770k, if you REALLY want encoding performance and dont mind spending 3.5x more then get a 4930k and 2011 board

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

Keep in mind that benchmark is encoding a 2m 21s video to 720p H.264, so that margin might equate to a lot of time with a longer project, enough to justify the price difference.

The i7-3930 is 21% faster than the FX-8350 in that benchmark. Given that Haswell is roughly 8-10% faster that 21% gap widens significantly. In fact I suspect that if one does all the math, the difference in performance between the FX-8350 and i7-4770 is about the same % as the price difference.

Maybe for just the CPU, but I'd imagine the cost of each platform as a whole might be a slightly different story. (Mobo/CPU/RAM). And I think you mean Ivy Bridge-E as opposed to the Sandy Bridge-E 3930K? There are no Haswell CPU's for the 2011 Platform, yet.

EDIT:

My GTX 680 is perfectly recognized by the software...

I believe the higher end cards in each generation are already supported. It's enabling the lower and mid-range cards that have to be manually added to the supported list. If the CUDA performance of the 680 is that poor, I must have no idea what Premiere is capable of, because my 660Ti has served well for the miniscule editing I've done.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

We can stop comforting ourselves that PCIe 2.0 is still great.The fact is it does bottleneck,period.Why must we not allow the full potential of a CUDA card?

PCI E 2.0 isn't great but its not bad, I wouldn't go for a whole nother platform just for pcie 3.0 the performance difference would be negligible 

It's up to the OP is the performance difference between 2.0 and 3.0 are worth the extra money.

You need not be so dramatic with your language. 

I'm pretty sure these are stock benchmarks. The 8350 really shines when it's oc'ed.

My GTX 680 is perfectly recognized by the software, it's just that the Cuda performance of the GTX 680 is quite poor compared to it's gaming horsepower. I want something that has a lot of Cuda horsepower if I am going wih the 8350. Also, one thing drawing me back from going z87, the freaking color scheme. My system is all black and UV blue. Throwing a golden WS board in there would not look good at all...

There are plenty of other options for mobos. 

Any suggestions for a good mobo that would match well with a UV blue and black color scheme in the Z87 line-up?

It's up to the OP is the performance difference between 2.0 and 3.0 are worth the extra money.

You need not be so dramatic with your language. 

I'm pretty sure these are stock benchmarks. The 8350 really shines when it's oc'ed.

It is up to the OP,but you are influencing him to get the FX.And now you are also encouraging him to get another board instead of the best.And you encourage him to OC,but you know other motherboards does not have as good VRMs.

The OP wanted a WS board,but you just want to spread your gospel on how unsuitable intel and a good motherboard is to the OP.

Any suggestions for a good mobo that would match well with a UV blue and black color scheme in the Z87 line-up?

Gigabyte Z87X-D3H.

Gigabyte Z87X-D3H.

What he said^

It is up to the OP,but you are influencing him to get the FX.And now you are also encouraging him to get another board instead of the best.And you encourage him to OC,but you know other motherboards does not have as good VRMs.

The OP wanted a WS board,but you just want to spread your gospel on how unsuitable intel and a good motherboard is to the OP.

The vrms don't make that much of a difference for for the average overclocker on the Haswell side. 

As for the 8350, it's still much cheaper with nice board like the UD5/UD7.

Last time I checked, the OP wasn't entering any liquid nitrogen oc'ing competitions. 

Really...stop being so dramatic. I never said intel was unsuitable. I'm just recommending cheaper alternatives. 

What he said^

The vrms don't make that much of a difference for for the average overclocker on the Haswell side.

As for the 8350, it's still much cheaper with nice board like the UD5/UD7.

Last time I checked, the OP wasn't entering any liquid nitrogen oc'ing competitions.

Really...stop being so dramatic. I never said intel was unsuitable. I'm just recommending cheaper alternatives.

*random dramatic gif*

Justin-Bieber-drama-look-justin-bieber-3

Cheaper=\= better.

. . .

. . .

A very disengenouous reply. The fact is that an i7-4770K will also oc quite nicely, as will the LGA2011 cpu.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

A very disengenouous reply. The fact is that an i7-4770K will also oc quite nicely, as will the LGA2011 cpu.

Yes, but I'm going to have to put some kind of magic cooler on the 4770k for it to not melt hahaha. These things run hoooooot!

It's not... I'm just implying stock benchmarks are quite irrelevant. 

Yes, but I'm going to have to put some kind of magic cooler on the 4770k for it to not melt hahaha. These things run hoooooot!

They run just as hot as Ivy. It's not that bad.

So, an 8350 and a swiftech h220 with the 990fx-ud5 would be a good choice?

My system would end up looking like this:

AMD 8350

Swiftech h220

32gb ddr3 1866

Gigabyte 990fx-ud5

GTX 680 4Gb

Patriot Wildfire 120Gb SSD

1Tb WD Caviar Black

Asus Essence STX

Quad Gigabit Intel NIC

OCZ 700W Non-Modular, non 80 plus

Corsair C70 Black Case

All cooled with Silverstone AP123's

Does that sound good for an heavy editing workstation/gaming rig?

So, an 8350 and a swiftech h220 with the 990fx-ud5 would be a good choice?

My system would end up looking like this:

AMD 8350

Swiftech h220

32gb ddr3 1866

Gigabyte 990fx-ud5

GTX 680 4Gb

Patriot Wildfire 120Gb SSD

1Tb WD Caviar Black

Asus Essence STX

Quad Gigabit Intel NIC

OCZ 700W Non-Modular, non 80 plus

Corsair C70 Black Case

All cooled with Silverstone AP123's

Does that sound good for an heavy editing workstation/gaming rig?

Go with at least the UD7,or else get the 8320.

Go with at least the UD7,or else get the 8320.

What difference is the UD7 going to make?

What difference is the UD7 going to make?

Better VRMs for overclocking.