Should I upgrade my CPU?

I've been running on my trusty 1055t for almost 4 years now. It served me really well and I was able to achieve an overclock of 4Ghz on it. However, I think it's time for an upgrade. I've upgraded my GPU to a GTX 680 4GB about a year ago and I've had the feeling since then that my CPU was holding me back. It's even worse when it comes down to content creation. I bought this chip when it got out because at the time I needed a editing workstation on a budget. The benchmarks that I am seeing nowadays show my 1055t getting absolutely crushed by modern top tier CPUs. That's without talking about the slowdowns I witness while playing Battlefield 4 and heavy CPU based games like Arma 3 and Total War Rome II. That's what made me think that it was the time for me to make a significant upgrade to my workstation. The only thing is, I don't know if I should go with:

Asus Z87-WS with a 4770k

or

Asus X79-E WS with a 4820k or even a 4930k

Those are pretty much my two options right now. Other than that I would need to wait for another generation to come out (x99??). What should I do? Go with the 4770k and the Z87-WS, with the 2011 option, or wait for the new chipset to come out with Haswell-E??

Do you do mostly video editing? What editing programs do you use primarily?

CPU: Intel 3570k (4.3) MOBO: Asrock z77 extreme6 GPU: Gigabyte Windforce HD 7970 RAM: 4x4 Gb Samsung Ultra Low Profile DDR3-1600mhz CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (Boot), 3TB Seagate Barracuda Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (black)  PSU: Corsair TX750M  Peripherals: Rosewill

rk-9000, Gigabyte M8000x, Sennheiser PX 200-II, Asus VS247H-P 23.6" 1080p TN panel

if you CAN, x97 with 4930K <- I'd only recommend this if you have money to burn or you need that performance for doing videos and such

for being sane and your best overall choice, Z87 WS with 4770K

If its a workstation go with the 2011, if you do not do too much content creation stick the 1150. At the end of the day it all comes down to you and what you want and think is best to invest the money on.

Do you do mostly video editing? What editing programs do you use primarily?

My main programs are Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, Davinci resolve, etc. And yes, I mostly do video editing.

Go with 2011, don't waste your time lga1150

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

My wallet says that I should go with the Z87-WS and the 4770k but my enthusiast heart tells me to go with the 4930k and the X79-E WS....

Is there a big performance delta between those two in productivity benchmarks? Also, I don't like the 4770k being toasty like that.

Get an 8350, and don't go X79 unless you are getting a 4930K/3930K or higher

Any news of a new chipset/CPU coming out from AMD? I don't want to buy something just to see it get beaten by something new right after I bought it.

Any news of a new chipset/CPU coming out from AMD? I don't want to buy something just to see it get beaten by something new right after I bought it.

Apparently there will be one more series of AM3+ CPUs, I don't think they will use a new chipset and I don't know when it will be out

One problem with X79 is that the chipset only supports 2 SATA 6Gbs.

Exactly.

Apparently there will be one more series of AM3+ CPUs, I don't think they will use a new chipset and I don't know when it will be out

Ok, that's good to know!

Is the difference of price between the 4930k and the 8350 worth the extra performance in heavy video editing work? And what about games? Will I see a big difference between those two in games like BF4 and Arma 3?

Is the difference of price between the 4930k and the 8350 worth the extra performance in heavy video editing work? And what about games? Will I see a big difference between those two in games like BF4 and Arma 3?

It depends on whether or not you make money based on how efficiently you work.

For gaming, it just depends on whether or not you have the cash to blow. Going lga 2011 for gaming isn't worth it until you have every other bases covered like great peripherals and such.

I'd wait it out for the new Intel die shrink before deciding on anything. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes. Video editing work is what pays the bills. Saving even a half hour each week in faster renders comes out to 25 hours in a year. Even at $15 / hour that covers the difference.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Just get the Z87 WS and 4770K.I always wanted the Z87 WS but unfortunately the shops don't sell,so I had to go P9X79-E WS and 4930K.

4770K is better than 4820K at stock but the 4820K can OC better.

For AMD there is no WS mobo,so you need to get the Crosshair instead.

4930K isn't that useful for those stuff since CUDA acceleration is possible.

For gaming, it just depends on whether or not you have the cash to blow. Going lga 2011 for gaming isn't worth it until you have every other bases covered like great peripherals and such.

But thats like over a year,with haswell refresh in the middle...

The money I make isn't based on how efficiently I edit videos. I only edit videos that I've filmed myself or that friends asked me to edit for them. I have about 800$ to spend on this upgrade to make my system as fast as possible for gaming and editing. With that budget, should I go with an 8350 and get a quadro 4000 on ebay?

Just get the Z87 WS and 4770K.I always wanted the Z87 WS but unfortunately the shops don't sell,so I had to go P9X79-E WS and 4930K.

4770K is better than 4820K at stock but the 4820K can OC better.

For AMD there is no WS mobo,so you need to get the Crosshair instead.

4930K isn't that useful for those stuff since CUDA acceleration is possible.

Consider that the 8350 + Crosshair is much, much cheaper than a 4770k + z87 WS.

If haswell refresh is that good, sure.

The money I make isn't based on how efficiently I edit videos. I only edit videos that I've filmed myself or that friends asked me to edit for them. I have about 800$ to spend on this upgrade to make my system as fast as possible for gaming and editing. With that budget, should I go with an 8350 and get a quadro 4000 on ebay?

If you're just doing that your current gpu + a 8350 should be plenty. Do you not have a ssd yet?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I don't know many video editors only making $15/hr.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Consider that the 8350 + Crosshair is much, much cheaper than a 4770k + z87 WS.

If haswell refresh is that good, sure.

If you're just doing that your current gpu + a 8350 should be plenty. Do you not have a ssd yet?

Yes, I am currently running a 120Gb Patriot Wildfire. The quadro was to compensate for the lack of Cuda performance of the GTX 680. You're saying that the GTX 680 is powerful enough in terms of Cuda acceleration?