HTC is introducing ads inside Vive and will track when you’re looking, And everyone was scared of Facebook

XTankSlayerX

Yeah no this wouldn't pass well at all. I mean enough there are intrusive adds almost everywhere, but something that asks money at all shouldn't have any sort.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I don't really mind product placement or advertising in games so that it seems to belong to the game (like Tony Hawk Pro Skater had what I know all te major skate brands advertising their products as items or car games have real cars and parts or something like GTA having real life ads in billboards). Probably everyone is ok with Gran Turismo, Forza and other car games having real life cars and having reall life circuits with real life ads. Probably everyone would be fine if the main character of their favorite game would be runing around with Adidas three-stripes trademark outfit.

But if this turns out to be one more iOS/Android like popup, part-of-the-screen shit... well... it's HTC shooting their own kneecaps off from Viveport. I find it very unlikely that Valve would mud Steam with ads (even with in-game ads through their own API) and generally even if it would be only VR games a lot of people would get scared that ads would be popping up in non-VR games. Probably that's what is going on, the pressure from HTC having their own marketplace competing with Steam is just too much and they want to find a cause to shut it down and adding chance for developers to add ads in their games is quite a good way to do it without making it clear that they just want to make Viveport disapear. It's also quite clear that Viveport might be a burden since all of the HTC VIve controlling is made through Steam and almost every Viveport game is available in Steam and really only reason for Viveport is that some games are cheaper in there than in Steam. Also the problem of going through soon-to-disapearing Greenlight is no more a problem (Valve has quite straightly stated that anyone making a VR game or -app can just contact them and get their stuff into Steam) there really isn't any need for Viveport which was originally ment to be marketplace for VR devs to get their stuff online easier and faster than through Greenlight. Then there's the platform changes which might lessen the amount of developers in Viveport or who exclusively would release on Viveport, since openVR is gaining ground and (for developers) might be more compelling option over making HTC Vive exclusive game, it's quite clear that Viveport is just the same as Origin or Uplay except without highly narcissist publisher behind it which has quite a strong bonds to Valve and competing against Steam is just pure madness.

I wouldn't be suprised if after few months HTC would make a press release saying: "[We F'ed up with ad platform and] we are shutting down Viveport since the amount of demand has fallen. All who have bought games in the past X months can claim Steam keys for those games they have bought."

13 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

People pay them £40 a copy of the game sold, or in this case £800 for the headset.

That's how capitalism works, they make an initial investment of money then they recuperate their investment by selling the product to consumers. These corporations are just getting greedy now, they're not happy with just charging for the product any more, instead they want to sell you the product for full price, expect you to pay more after you've already bought the full price product and also expect you to watch adverts on the thing you've already paid for twice.

Enough is enough. I decided at the end on 2016 I'm done buying games now and I've stuck to that. I'm sick of being treated like a walking credit card expected to pay for something multiple times over in order to experience it properly. Could you imagine if you went to the cinema and paid for a movie ticket and they said "want to listen to the sound? Buy these headphones." or "want to see the end of the movie? Buy this end pass."

Its getting silly now and the worst part is gamers just seem to be excepting it which means it's only going to get worse. Honestly how long will it be before £40 only buys you the engine and the first 2 levels then you have to pay them £10 for every subsequent level you want to play after that. 

You wanna be a walking credit card that's up to you but don't get annoyed when others don't.

Well, if the OP had done proper research or if you read the rest of the thread you would see this isn't for games at all. They aren't putting ads in vr games and they never will be. Not HTC at least.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

On 31/03/2017 at 1:54 PM, Grinners said:

I 100% wouldn't buy a product that records where my eyes fall and sends that information to advertisers. (Anonymised or otherwise).

People in this thread seem very confused. "A free app/product/website does it so my $1000 product should also do it"... That is absurd reasoning. 

When your tv records your eyes watching ads and forwards this or your tooth brush sends plaque data to Colgate, then you can draw a parallel. 

If my plaque data led to a more effective and less wasteful toothpaste - I would gladly share this data. This 'data' collection costs me nothing and I (and others) benefit from its realization.

Information is king and taking 'guesses' without data is wasteful and inefficient - whatever 'morals' you imply to 'protect' an individual’s data are 100% selfish and self-defeating...You protect something that is worthless unless leveraged and inheritly destructive when wasted.

I don’t want to see advertisements for products and news I am not interested in. I want targeting marketing. I don’t want to waste my time looking at banner ads for baseballs and t-shirts. Give me something I WANT to see! - idiots who defend their metadata like its some pile of gold are literally the exact reason why the internet is a shit hole of penis pills, Uber and BBQ pork buns I can't buy within 7,000 miles of my home.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

14 minutes ago, Cheddle said:

I don’t want to see advertisements for products and news I am not interested in. I want targeting marketing. I don’t want to waste my time looking at banner ads for baseballs and t-shirts. Give me something I WANT to see! - idiots who defend their metadata like its some pile of gold are literally the exact reason why the internet is a shit hole of penis pills, Uber and BBQ pork buns I can't buy within 7,000 miles of my home.

Funny and informative, but I'll give you an "agree".

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 3/30/2017 at 10:38 PM, nerdslayer1 said:

20150616111447885.jpg

How To Copy

11 hours ago, Cheddle said:

Information is king and taking 'guesses' without data is wasteful and inefficient - whatever 'morals' you imply to 'protect' an individual’s data are 100% selfish and self-defeating...You protect something that is worthless unless leveraged and inheritly destructive when wasted.

This makes very little logical sense. The majority of people share their metadata , I presume you share your data. How are the people that withhold theirs responsible for your irrelevant adverts.

Increasing the volume of people sharing browsing data, won't suddenly make adsense style marketing 100% relevant. If you want better personalized adverts, take responsibility and give Google (and all other advertising platforms) more of your own information. Leave us "idiots" that conceal ours out of it. I don't need targeted adverts, so I have no need to be complicit in your desired version of the internet.

On 31/03/2017 at 3:56 AM, Fetzie said:

In some games having unrealistic or missing adverts ruins the immersion (car racing, football, rpg).

Can't wait to play soccer with those huge printed ads on the grass...

On 3/31/2017 at 2:57 AM, christianled59 said:

Iyou don't see any other paid steam game having ads.

I have, for years. Rainbow 6 has in game Bill boards populated with real ads, and I bet they are contract to those company for ad revenue.

Ads in games if done right are fine, like rainbow 6. They can now just track if they have been seen by the user.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Apparently they haven't heard of Akiba's Trip. 

That game is LOADED with ads...

Case 1:

Spoiler

Image result for akiba's trip ads

Case 2:

Spoiler

Case 3:

Spoiler

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

3 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

I have, for years. Rainbow 6 has in game Bill boards populated with real ads, and I bet they are contract to those company for ad revenue.

Ads in games if done right are fine, like rainbow 6. They can now just track if they have been seen by the user.

In context of the article, I meant monetized ads. Such as ads that are on youtube videos and mobile apps. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.