4K in relation to Internet Speeds and future of gaming?

Hey guys!  As my first topic on LinusTechTips I wanted to talk about the future of 4k, and some of which Linus touched on in some videos but I wanted some more input.  So I noticed today watching a 4K video on YouTube was not possible without having some buffering and I have a 50 Mbps download speed, and this is a pretty substantial speed for consumers today.  Though Verizon fios Quantum can go a lot faster than this at very high prices.  As 4k starts to roll out and it becomes apparent that the current consumer speeds are not fast enough to meet our needs for 4k YouTube or Netflix, does this mean prices will go down for higher internet speeds?  How long will it take them to realize that we need bigger speeds?  How long will it take them to upgrade their systems to make higher speeds available?  That it is for the multimedia part.

As for gaming Linus pointed out in one of the LAN shows that gaming for PC might switch back over to discs because of like Call of Duty Ghosts being 40 GB on PC and PS4 at least.  With these greater storage requirements comes the need for faster internet so that the people that have lower speeds don't have to wait a whole day or so (or maybe more) to download their game.  If Internet speeds don't get faster and less pricey, we will be forced to move to this 300 GB disc that Sony and Panasonic have been working on, but then what will happen to places like Steam?  I realize not all their revenue comes from major games like Call of Duty Ghosts, but it might take out a huge part of their profit.   Another thing to realize about greater storage capacities being needed for games, is that we can currently only buy 4 TB drives(NOT including the new helium drive from one of WD's companys which went up to 6 TB),but if games keep developing and getting bigger like this we will need more storage.

So say every 4K game is at least 40 GB (though most will probably become more than that in time) 1 TB / 40 GB = 25 games at the most per GB.  I don't know about you but with all the other crap that I have and do on my 1 TB HDD, I don't have enough space for more than 3 or 4 of these 4K games.

***On a side note, we have seen some demos of 8k already from Panasonic, Toshiba, and Sharp.  Will 4K be like 720 HD and 8K like 1080 HD or will we have to wait another half decade or full decade for our 8K stuff?

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k Ivy Bridge Processor Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Extreme RAM: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum GPU: EVGA GTX 770 2GB Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 4TB Seagate HDD & 128GB Samsung Pro SSD PSU: Corsair 850w Display(s): Asus PB278q(2k)& Asus VG248qe Cooling: Corsair H60 on Intel Processor Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Mouse: Razer Naga Epic/Corsair k90 Sound: Asus Essence STX(Not currently working)

Hmmm....I've got 25 Mb/s down and mine doesn't buffer on 4k content on youtuube

And for 8k and 4k, 4k will be the next "1080p" in around 4-6 years (The price and Cable company's are the thing holding it back) But 8k is barely even out there with only a handful that have even been made (all in Asian Countries) 

In my eyes 4k will be the next "1080p" and 8k will become today's 4k.

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

Ok, I'm screwed i have 9mb down

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

i have 250KB/s down so i'm more screwed :P

Blue Nebula = CPU: Intel i7 4770K @Stock || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 || RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance LP || GPU: EVGA GTX 780Ti Superclocked @Stock || Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero || SSD: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro || HDD: 4x2TB WD Black in Raid10 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i || Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced || Keyboard: Corsair K70 (MX Blues) || Mouse: Corsair M95 || Mousepad: Razer Goliathus 2013 Extended Speed || Monitors: Eizo Foris FS2333 + Old Samsung monitor || Headset: Beyerdynamic MMX2 || =>My Youtube Gaming Channel<= || =>My Twitch.tv Channel<=

I wouldnt wory bout speeds id be mire woried about isps going the data cap route. Id rather take 24-48 hrs to download my 60 game steam library and my 10 game origin library and my 2 game ubisoft library. Whats the point of humble bundle and steam sales if all i get is 200 gigs per month. Id have to decide netflix/hulu/youtube or play my games if my compy crashes

Hmmm....I've got 25 Mb/s down and mine doesn't buffer on 4k content on youtuube

And for 8k and 4k, 4k will be the next "1080p" in around 4-6 years (The price and Cable company's are the thing holding it back) But 8k is barely even out there with only a handful that have even been made (all in Asian Countries) 

In my eyes 4k will be the next "1080p" and 8k will become today's 4k.

Hey thanks for your insight as you are the only one that actually gave any kind of good info, but I agree with pretty much everything you said!  We are starting to go down the 4k path and people like samsung are making it more affordable (in my opinion) by putting it in tablets and laptops and such.  Sony first came out with a 4k tv of $25,000 and Samsung came out with several below that price point.  I believe the biggest problem will be convincing companies like time warner cable to lower internet pricing and come out with higher speeds like Verizon 

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k Ivy Bridge Processor Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Extreme RAM: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum GPU: EVGA GTX 770 2GB Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 4TB Seagate HDD & 128GB Samsung Pro SSD PSU: Corsair 850w Display(s): Asus PB278q(2k)& Asus VG248qe Cooling: Corsair H60 on Intel Processor Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Mouse: Razer Naga Epic/Corsair k90 Sound: Asus Essence STX(Not currently working)

You can play games like Assassins Creed IV and Dirt 3 in 4K and they are well below 40GBs...

I don't think it is worth mentioning 8k at hte moment. Considering the level of performance required by the card will jump up exponentialy, I doubt we will even be able to decode an 8k film fast enough to play it.

4k = 8.3 megapixles

8k = 33.2 megapixles.

That said though, if they do develop these further for the consumer, which I doubt they will at the moment, it would drive 4k prices down.

If holographic storage becomes a thing, speed issues for loading times can be rectified.

Is battlefield 3 a 4k compatible game? thats 34.2GB  I don't know how it works, I thought it was a case of, "Here is some textures and models, now make sense of them for the moniter"?

80 Down, 20 Up    ;-)   (with the crap generic router provided by Bt though. D=   )

haha xD but still those numbers :D you lucky thing !

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

You can play games like Assassins Creed IV and Dirt 3 in 4K and they are well below 40GBs...

The resolution you play the game in doens't have anything to do with the size of the game.

He's just saying how big release titles are big games, and in the future most people will be running them in 4K.

They're 2 sperate points which aren't related :)

I don't mind going to discs... cause I rather them (LOOK AT MY SHELF!!!)

Looking at everyones internets I am rather lucky with 20 down (approx) and telstra finally fixing the god damn exchange to destroy peak hours :)

My Rig:

OS: MSX CPU:Intel i5 4690K RAM: 16GB Averix Core Series  GPU: XFX R9 280X SSD:128GB Crucial M4 Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z97N Wifi Powersupply: Corsair HX750 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60i Case: Corsair 250D Monitors: Asus VE278 and Asus VW202 Keyboard: Steel Series 6G V2 Mouse: CM Sentinel Advanced Audio: Objective 2 ODAC Headphones: Senheiser HD595

Just a heads up 4k youtube isnt true 4k its actually rather bitrate starved.

4k probably wont be in a good amount a peoples homes for at least 10 years is my guess just look at how 1080p has taken. 4k will probably take longer.

8k consumer isnt coming anytime soon mostly for pros to capure in.

I've got 60 down and 24 up... no problem at all but I'm asking my self how all the providers improve their networks more.

At my friend's place and he lives just like 5 miles away and with the same provider he just has got 13 down and 4 up... and that's now a days nowhere near good!

When I move into a new place the first thing I do before I even look at the place itself I check the provider and the available connection there.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

In my opinion 4k is going to be widespread in just a few years but mostly for movies. BD or maybe some new format will almost certainly be required. Streaming options will be available to those that have the available bandwidth though.

As for games, i don't think its going to make that much of a difference, they could just do what Bethesda done with Skyrim and release a 4k texture pack as a separate download.

Ive got 150kbs down. My phone can achieve about 400kbs

HD streaming is regularly beyond my capability.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

Just a heads up 4k youtube isnt true 4k its actually rather bitrate starved.

Perhapse there is just something wrong with my computer, but even the 1080p on youtube is not 1080p. At least, I can tell that it is not.

Perhapse there is just something wrong with my computer, but even the 1080p on youtube is not 1080p. At least, I can tell that it is not.

*tilts head to side* I am confuse?