Planning a 2.1 music room/HT

Hikaru12

I have the ability to build a room of my choosing and wanted to build a music room for 2.1 music listening with an occasional movie or game thrown in there. The room will be 10'x12'x8' following the golden room size principles and my budget of around ~5-7k.

Here's what I imagine the room to look like:

kie8JJ9.png

What can I do to maximize the sound absorption and limit reflections considering this is only a 2.1 system? I plan on using carpeting on the floors to absorb some reverb and reflections. Do I only need to do the left and right walls considering they are facing towards my ears instead of at the front of the room? They will be on speaker stands to position the tweeter correctly. Thanks guys!

You are going to get some very bizarre imaging with the speakers hard left and right. You should be shooting for something closer to an equilateral triangle. You'll also want to experiment with toe-in to get the best result with the particular speakers you go with.

Other than that, spot panels to cover the first reflection points on the side walls should be enough. If you want to go more in depth, you should probably bring measurements and software like Room EQ Wizard into play so that you're not blundering around in the dark with thousands worth of room treatment.