New Gaming PC @1080p for around 600 dollars

Fgtfv567

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($53.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($52.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($51.98 @ Jet) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($134.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($57.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($38.88 @ OutletPC) 
Other: Windows 10 ($20.00)
Total: $600.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-27 02:32 EDT-0400

Motherboard: MSI B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($51.98 @ Jet) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($134.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($57.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($38.88 @ OutletPC) 
Other: Ryzen 5 1500X 4-Core 3.5Ghz ($189.00)
Total: $625.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-27 02:40 EDT-0400

I've made an Intel build as well as an AMD one. I'm really looking forward to Ryzen, but Ryzen 5 doesn't come out until in another 2 weeks. Also I can't find any cheap B350 boards below 80 bucks. And if I'm going AMD, I demand a B350 board, because free overclocking (Even on the stock cooler). You guys can help me decide which team I go with this time.

I'd like to spend around 600 dollars US. I'll be using this computer for web browsing as well as serious gaming at 1080p with one monitor for gaming. I have no plans for 1440p, and since I'll be a college student soon, VR is out of the question. Besides, I can just stick a 1060 in there if I really want VR for some reason.

Don't worry about peripherals, I have a KB, mouse, and two monitors that I can reuse. Windows 10 is 20 dollars because I plan to buy a key off Kinguin or G2A or something like that.

I need this computer because my X51 is currently going on the fritz. It's hard crashing after an hour or so of gaming. Windows itself is claiming that it's a hard power loss. I've already started a thread on the forum. If you have any solutions, please see the thread linked. 

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

The intel build is better. but keep in mind that it may need a BIOS update before being usable.

However, I'd highly encourage you to spend like $15 more, and get an RX 470. It's much more powerful than the 1050Ti.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

The intel build is better. but keep in mind that it may need a BIOS update before being usable.

However, I'd highly encourage you to spend like $15 more, and get an RX 470. It's much more powerful than the 1050Ti.

Unless I can update the BIOS without another LGA 1151 CPU, that is a problem. I don't want to get a skylake CPU just to update the BIOS. If I can download that BIOS update from my dying X51 and stick it on a USB stick, that's fine. I just need a guide for that, as I've never flashed a new BIOS before.

Do you have a specific card in mind, I don't want to spend much more than 600 dollars.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz) find out if the bios supports kabylake or get an i5 6500.
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 480 4GB Dual Video Card  ($169.99 @ B&H) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  ($30.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($47.89 @ B&H) 
Total: $601.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-27 02:51 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

3 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz) find out if the bios supports kabylake or get an i5 6500.
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 480 4GB Dual Video Card  ($169.99 @ B&H) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  ($30.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($47.89 @ B&H) 
Total: $601.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-27 02:51 EDT-0400

I'd prefer a MicroATX computer, as I have a firm suspicion that I will be lugging this computer around with me to college.

18 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

why is the intel better? i mean at least the ryzen build is on a chipset that isn't planned to be outdated anytime soon and can go up to an 8 core. i would say definitely wait for reviews of the r5 but tbh with that gpu i don't think it will matter and the r5 will be better than the i5 in non-gaming tasks anyways and you wont see a performance improvement in games between the 2 cpus as the gpu will bottleneck before the cpu will. 

11 minutes ago, Fgtfv567 said:

I'd prefer a MicroATX computer, as I have a firm suspicion that I will be lugging this computer around with me to college.

i would at least take the advice on the power-supply as the seasonic s12ii is much better than the evga 500w you have choose and it is cheaper.

If you decide to take the ryzen path this is the build I'd make if I were you (after all, AM4 is supposed to be relevant till 2020, I think kaby lake is the last LGA 1151 platform CPU):

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/g7gBYr

If you're wondering why I invested so much in RAM for this build, check this out. It might explain a lot. I don't know how well the motherboard will support the super fast ram, but it should find more support as time passes and new updates for the motherboard release.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

If I were you I would go with the intel platform instead of the post I made. Maybe gen 2 Ryzen will have much better support on the memory side, but your essentially waiting for updates that may never come with most hardware except the most expensive ryzen motherboards right now. Also, 120 GB of storage really is not enough. I don't know if you have any spare hard drives lying around, but you need more than 120 GB.

8 hours ago, ATFink said:

If I were you I would go with the intel platform instead of the post I made. Maybe gen 2 Ryzen will have much better support on the memory side, but your essentially waiting for updates that may never come with most hardware except the most expensive ryzen motherboards right now. Also, 120 GB of storage really is not enough. I don't know if you have any spare hard drives lying around, but you need more than 120 GB.

Oh no, I have a spare 1 TB hard drive in storage. I'll be using that to store everything. I just wanted a boot SSD.

12 hours ago, ATFink said:

i think that's way to short sided. even with the slower memory speed the ryzen cpu will be plenty fast for a gtx 1050 ti and will be a socket being supported longer along with better performance in multi-threaded task making ti a better performer in all regards when paired with a gtx 1050 ti

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

i think that's way to short sided. even with the slower memory speed the ryzen cpu will be plenty fast for a gtx 1050 ti and will be a socket being supported longer along with better performance in multi-threaded task making ti a better performer in all regards when paired with a gtx 1050 ti

Just saying, the infinity fabric between the CCXs of ryzen CPUs operates at 0.5*Ram frequency. If OP wants to upgrade the CPU later he will get much more out of it with the faster ram.... If (and almost certainly this will be the case) 2nd gen and more ryzen is on a very similar architecture as ryzen first gen and OP upgrades to a higher frequency future generation of ryzen. In this case the ram will not be a limiting factor.  With this PC the OP's upgrading path will likely be a new GPU in 2 or so years and maybe a new CPU at some point in the future depending on the way games decide to handle cores and threads.

My philosophy when building PCs is to get at least one or 2 items you know are very strong components when building a computer on a budget so you only have to upgrade one item at a time in the future to save your wallet later on. Pretty much buy once cry once for as many components as possible as long as it doesn't infringe on vital components of the build (like and the PSU). The G. Skill tridentz ram is certainly the buy once cry once component in this build. We have to wait till ryzen 5 to be sure, but I think you will see larger gains in CPU performance for lower core count Ryzen than higher core count Ryzen based on more communication (in a relative sense) between the CCXs since the cores will be more stressed to keep up with workload. That and we know Ryzen can't OC for crap, so you should find some way to supplement the low clock speed. That supplement in this build was the ram.

23 minutes ago, ATFink said:

Just saying, the infinity fabric between the CCXs of ryzen CPUs operates at 0.5*Ram frequency. If OP wants to upgrade the CPU later he will get much more out of it with the faster ram.... If (and almost certainly this will be the case) 2nd gen and more ryzen is on a very similar architecture as ryzen first gen and OP upgrades to a higher frequency future generation of ryzen. In this case the ram will not be a limiting factor.  With this PC the OP's upgrading path will likely be a new GPU in 2 or so years and maybe a new CPU at some point in the future depending on the way games decide to handle cores and threads.

My philosophy when building PCs is to get at least one or 2 items you know are very strong components when building a computer on a budget so you only have to upgrade one item at a time in the future to save your wallet later on. Pretty much buy once cry once for as many components as possible as long as it doesn't infringe on vital components of the build (like and the PSU). The G. Skill tridentz ram is certainly the buy once cry once component in this build. We have to wait till ryzen 5 to be sure, but I think you will see larger gains in CPU performance for lower core count Ryzen than higher core count Ryzen based on more communication (in a relative sense) between the CCXs since the cores will be more stressed to keep up with workload. That and we know Ryzen can't OC for crap, so you should find some way to supplement the low clock speed. That supplement in this build was the ram.

yeah you want fast memory to remove the infinity fabric bandwidth bottleneck but you really only need 3000mhz ram not 3800mhz ram as you wont even see anything much higher than 3000mhz anyways. also at some point the infinity fabric will be running fast enough where it wont need to run any faster to get maximum performance and we have no idea where that is so i wouldn't suggest going crazy on 3800mhz ram until we know how fast you need to get before seeing no more performance gains. all in all i think that going with a ryzen platform build seems like a better buy especially if there not looking at playing high refresh-rate 1080p anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, ATFink said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d3H4m8 this would be plenty fast